Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

When did walking sticks become "Trekking Poles?"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: When did walking sticks become "Trekking Poles?"
Reply #60 on: October 31, 2016, 11:53:43 AM
you can see that MTO has grown/matured with all the talk about walking sticks lately.....  :)

I see a discussion on what pills (for medical reasons) everybody takes coming up soon., followed by a "they do not make them like they used to" thread (wait, we have one of those....)

I was prescribed Nexxium for acid reflux about ten years ago, and haven't touched one in about nine years and ten months.  :P

Does that count?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #61 on: October 31, 2016, 11:58:34 AM
any other medication you take? 
colours of pills?
any new pills coming to the market?
OEM or branded pills?
Are US made pills better than Asian made ones  ...
do you swallow them alone or with water? 
Do they make your excretions have a funny colour/odour.....

.such a broad, interesting topic

Maybe we need a new subforum for just that. :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #62 on: October 31, 2016, 02:56:01 PM
I got a bit of money for my birthday a few days ago, and decided to try out the stick I mentioned on the last page. They had one in stock at my local mobility shop, about half an hour stroll away.

I got a cane that's a multitool :D

Both the stick and the brolly seem of reasonable build quality. It is heavier than a normal stick, so not ideal for longer walks, but with the detachable brolly it makes more sense than carrying my Fulton Huntsman right now.

The height is not adjustable, but is already the right height. However, it is slightly shorter with the brolly removed as the ferrule stays on top of the brolly. There is a small rubber end cap on the end of the cane itself, but I can't see that lasting very long, or having much purchase when you need it most. It still saves carrying both a cane and separate brolly though, or being unable to use a walking brolly as a stick when it's raining.

I'm going to look for a small ferrule that I can carry in my pocket and fit/remove as required. I do have a small removable ferrule for a hiking pole, but unfortunately it doesn't fit  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: October 31, 2016, 05:08:13 PM
That certainly does seem like an interesting doodad, although I don't believe I have ever owned, let alone carried an umbrella, so I am not sure how much I would personally be interested in one.

I have to wonder though, would it not just be easier to get one of these?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: October 31, 2016, 07:41:48 PM
Maybe it would free up one hand, but I think it's certainly easier on the pride to use the umbrella cane :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: November 01, 2016, 01:37:59 AM
See?  There's your problem.  I gave up having any pride years ago....  :ahhh

Def

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: November 01, 2016, 02:06:00 AM
Yeah, we noticed  :rofl:

:P

In fairness, it's something that can only be considered an occasional use item. I'm not in a condition to be using any umbrella if it's windy - it would either blow me over or strain my neck and induce the balance problems. It's also not something to use on the longer walks due to the extra weight, as this too might have a cumulative effect on my neck.

However, for shorter walks (a couple of miles or less) when there's chance of a shower, I think it's a decent way to carry a decent brolly. Weight wise it's only about 50g (2oz) heavier than my Fulton Huntsman, which can only be brolly OR stick (roughly 680g as compared with 630g). The canopy is only slightly smaller than the Huntsman, but larger and better built than most cheap compact umbrellas.

After I got it back home, I did have doubts and wonder if it was a bit of a folly. I really don't think it is though. I'm pretty certain there'll be days of changeable weather, when I'll be really glad I have it. Besides which, as it's effectively a birthday gift, I'm not out any cash even if it spends most of it's life stood by the door waiting for the right weather conditions  :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #67 on: March 12, 2017, 05:04:28 PM
I was in the country this weekend, 1050m altitude, near the Styga waters (where Achilles bathed to become immortal). We found snow from 850m and up, it was great. There was a lady that was selling chestnut canes and sticks, her one-handed husband is making (as she said), 5€ for a straight one and 25€ for a croocked one. I bought the later, it is lightweight, light colored and plain, no polish or ferrule. I used it to walk on the snow and near a river and a lake, I like it very much. I'll use a pyrograph to engrave my wife's name on it, in the same fashion I did it in my Opinel. I will keep it for outdoors only (left it in the car permanently), so I will leave the ground end as is I guess.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #68 on: March 12, 2017, 06:05:03 PM
That sounds like an excellent trip!

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: March 12, 2017, 09:29:17 PM
It does indeed. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: March 12, 2017, 09:36:04 PM
A member of my wife's congregation makes walking sticks and poles for a hobby and I bought one from him a few months ago (for an insanely small amount of money) .  What I'd call a "thumb" stick with an antler handle.  Also makes for a good prop to keep you rucksack off the wet ground. :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #71 on: March 12, 2017, 09:57:59 PM
That type is called a "fourka" here, derived from "fork" I believe. It was used by farmers in order to lift weights up the animals' heights (horses, mules and donkeys) and also to fork down snakes' heads etc. We have a similar telescopic one for lifting clothe hangers to the upper closets.
The basic distinction between a farmer's and a shepherd's pole is that a farmer's pushes things away (as your bag away from the soil) while a shepherd's pulls things towards (like a goat's neck for the Arabic type, or a goat's ankle for the Greek type).
I remember the "Book of the Junior Woodchucks", describing a walking pole like this, for protection against crawling creatures, aming other uses.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: March 12, 2017, 10:17:53 PM
The chances of having to pin down snakes in Scotland are pretty slim, but other than that I can see the uses. :)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #73 on: March 12, 2017, 11:24:51 PM
That is a very retro rucksack you have there Gareth
Can't imagine it doing too well in the Scottish weather ???
Summer only kit maybe ??? Maybe not - I forgot that makes no difference to the rain in Scotty  :rofl:

Never owned a brolly Def?? Make sure you bring one when you come to Sydney - It has been raining here for about three weeks non stop!!
Everybody in Sydney carries a brolly

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: March 12, 2017, 11:33:13 PM
Summer only kit maybe ??? Maybe not - I forgot that makes no difference to the rain in Scotty  :rofl:

Never owned a brolly Def?? Make sure you bring one when you come to Sydney - It has been raining here for about three weeks non stop!!

Yeah, canvas and leather.  No, not great for the Scottish weather, but I've only ever used it as a day bag and it's mostly carrying snacks and my waterproofs.  Given that most modern bags aren't waterproof either I'm not too worried.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #75 on: March 12, 2017, 11:46:29 PM

Yeah, canvas and leather.  No, not great for the Scottish weather, but I've only ever used it as a day bag and it's mostly carrying snacks and my waterproofs.  Given that most modern bags aren't waterproof either I'm not too worried.

Does it have a frame?
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: March 12, 2017, 11:50:52 PM

Does it have a frame?

That one doesn't, but I do have a genuine vintage rucksack that does.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #77 on: March 13, 2017, 12:27:55 AM

Does it have a frame?

That one doesn't, but I do have a genuine vintage rucksack that does.

Frames make life much more comfortable  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #78 on: March 13, 2017, 02:10:07 AM

I wear a Tilley hat.  It keeps the water off my neck. Other than that it's just water.

Def

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #79 on: March 26, 2017, 09:27:50 AM
I was in the country this weekend, 1050m altitude, near the Styga waters (where Achilles bathed to become immortal). We found snow from 850m and up, it was great. There was a lady that was selling chestnut canes and sticks, her one-handed husband is making (as she said), 5€ for a straight one and 25€ for a croocked one. I bought the later, it is lightweight, light colored and plain, no polish or ferrule. I used it to walk on the snow and near a river and a lake, I like it very much. I'll use a pyrograph to engrave my wife's name on it, in the same fashion I did it in my Opinel. I will keep it for outdoors only (left it in the car permanently), so I will leave the ground end as is I guess.

Here it is.
Chestnut Katsouna 1.jpg
* Chestnut Katsouna 1.jpg (Filesize: 179.28 KB)
Chestnut Katsouna 2.jpg
* Chestnut Katsouna 2.jpg (Filesize: 175.9 KB)
Chestnut Katsouna 3.jpg
* Chestnut Katsouna 3.jpg (Filesize: 373.85 KB)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:58:24 AM by kkokkolis »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: March 26, 2017, 02:14:21 PM
Very cool!

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #81 on: March 28, 2017, 03:55:26 AM
Here is my latest bought at a local pow wow from an elderly Anishinaabe artist. The turtle represents good health and long life. The cane surprisingly fit me perfectly for height. The oval turtle makes this one of the most comfortable canes I have in my collection.

The shaft also features these decorative cuts every few inches..

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:57:51 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: March 28, 2017, 01:46:25 PM
Very cool Dan!

Turtles are one of my all time favourite animals, and most could be considered dinosaurs as they have survived more or less unchanged since prehistoric times.  I'd have probably snapped that one up the moment I saw it too!

In a completely different direction, there's a discount shop not far from me that I was in a few weeks ago and they had carbon fiber trekking poles for $40/pair.  I have been resisting the urge to go back and get them, but my resolve is getting weaker by the day.   :ahhh

Def

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #83 on: March 28, 2017, 03:35:35 PM
Well I've bitten the bullet and ordered a stick, 53" Hazel thumbstick with a Buffalo horn (wide fork). The Wide fork allows it to used as a rifle rest.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #84 on: March 28, 2017, 03:46:01 PM
Well I've bitten the bullet and ordered a stick, 53" Hazel thumbstick with a Buffalo horn (wide fork). The Wide fork allows it to used as a rifle rest.

That definitely works, though it's not nearly as stable as shooting prone it's a heck of a lot easier than shooting unsupported. :)

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: April 09, 2017, 11:59:25 AM
My daily walker.

Decided that if I had to start using a stick at the age of 32 (at the time) then it would be a really nice one. Blackthorn from the village of Shillelagh in Ireland.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #86 on: April 09, 2017, 12:12:58 PM
Oh, that's a nice one pomsbz.  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #87 on: April 09, 2017, 12:31:33 PM
Indeed!  That is a beautiful walking stick indeed!

Def

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #88 on: April 09, 2017, 05:33:37 PM
Very beautiful! :tu:

Myself, I've been looking for a trekking pole variant that doubles up as a camera monopod... :think:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #89 on: April 09, 2017, 05:51:35 PM
Very beautiful! :tu:

Myself, I've been looking for a trekking pole variant that doubles up as a camera monopod... :think:

Like these?

https://mountainsforeverybody.com/hiking-poles-with-camera-mount

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD