Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Contender 2- Outdoor Keys Holder Screwdriver Wrench Carabiner Quickdraw Keyring

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Contender 2 in teh Fantastic Five Dollar Challenge is a type of tool I have had my eye on for a while- it is a carabiner based key holder with additional functions that qualify it as a multitool. 

At a mere $2.12 and free shipping, Contender 2 comes in as the cheapest contender in the Five Dollar Challenge, and that is bound to win it a few points- provided it isn't the cheapest for a reason.   >:(

Details according to the listing:

Material: Stainless steel
Size:8cm x 4.5cm x 1.5cm/3.1" x 1.8" x 0.6"
Color: Silver
Package Include:1pc x Multifunction key holder
Features:
Compact and easy to carry.
Durable and environmentally friendly material,easy to clean.
Great gift for friends,couples,workmates,etc.
Multi-function Stainless Steel Keychain, Carabiner, Flat screwdriver, Wrench etc.
Note:Keys and other items in the pictures are not included.
Notice
1- Please allow 1-3cm error due to manual measurement.Pls make sure you do not mind before you bid.
2- The color may have different as the difference display,pls understand.

I have to wonder though, how well it will manage keys?  I have one electronic car key, which I assume won't work, one "dumb" car key with a rubber head that I assume won't work, and a dozen or so standard type keys, many of which have rubber rings on the heads to tell them apart.  I wonder if they will work?  I'm guessing not as the rubber rings would make it difficult to select one from another, so in the end I have to wonder how useful this will actually be?

this tool seems like one of those ideas that is good on paper but may not translate to the real world as effectively.  Still, maybe it could be augmented with something like the SOG Key Knife or Swiss Tech Utili-Key?

If that could be done reasonably effectively that would increase the overall usefulness of Contender 2 and maybe help it live up to it's potential.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Now that is interesting. I haven't seen that one yet.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I've seen this one and a number of similar types a lot lately.  What I wonder about is the functionality with the keys inside it- the photos show it in use with no keys attached, so I have to wonder if they throw the carabiner off balance so that it is really uncomfortable to use, or get in the way during use?

Also, I wonder what a pain in the bottom it will be to take it apart every time you want to use a tool on it, and more importantly, what happens to your keys when you do?  The idea of a keychain is simple- keys are small and easily damaged or lost, so you keep them all together.  If you have to dump them loosely in your pocket, will it be worth it to use this tool?

Or did they simply take photos of the tool without keys on it so you could see the tool in action?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Is that notice 1 error of 1-3 cm right? Thats over an inch in potential measuring error!   What on earth are they using to measure it  :think:

Surely it's a typo and should say 1-3mm
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:33:24 PM by Kevin Davey »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Is that notice 1 error of 1-3 cm right? Thats over an inch in potential measuring error!   What on earth are they using to measure it  :think:

Surely it's a typo and should say 1-3mm

Yeah, I wondered about that too, but that's not nearly as funny as some of the translations.  For example, this is from Contender 3:

100% Brand New & High Quality
humorous outlook, exquisite workmanship, multi-function

I wasn't sure "humorous outlook" was an in demand function on tools....

Def

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
I LOVE mine!! I actually want to purchase a real keybiner here soon.

I did grind down the flathead at the bottom. It kept interfering with the hanging hooks.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I take it the truck key doesn't fit?

Def

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
I take it the truck key doesn't fit?

Def
I think it would, but I don't want they kind of weight "prying" on the key while it's in the ignition. I think gravity would win on a large bump and it would kill the engine!

us Offline Manny Sanchez III

Isn't this one a copy of one that got started on Kickstarter? Not sure what it's called though, sorry, no link.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Isn't this one a copy of one that got started on Kickstarter? Not sure what it's called though, sorry, no link.
Yes. The actual brand is KeyBiner.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
I just bought one of these...thanks Def for enabling.  :D  :salute:  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I just bought one of these...thanks Def for enabling.  :D  :salute:  :tu:

No problem,  it's what I do best! :P

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Yes. The actual brand is KeyBiner.

I think you will find most of these are.  Kickstarter has been a great resource for many manufacturers as they will get copies of the design to give a production estimate to the Kickstarter, then they will start producing and selling the design on Ebay for less than the guy who came up with the idea can.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
This one arrived today but I'll post a bit about it tomorrow. I didn't get much of a chance to look at it before other duties called me away.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
My copy just arrived yesterday. Not all that impressed with it on first glance.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Already fails for me as my key looks like this and it won't fit:

Key.jpg
* Key.jpg (Filesize: 68.46 KB)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
My copy just arrived yesterday. Not all that impressed with it on first glance.

My thoughts exactly.

The first thing I noticed is that the screws tend to stick out a little too far for my liking.  Next, it requires at least 4 standard, non rubberized keys, or 8 standard, rubberized keys or else they will bounce around loose on the screws.  I tried it with three keys and they jangled around as much as they would on a regular keyring. 

Additionally, there is nothing to stop the screws from eventually backing out, and since this tool encourages you to hang it (and your keys) on a belt loop, there's a good chance you will never see them again if they do.

Looking at the seller photos, it looks like the lightning bolt shaped piece that sits on the outboard side of the keys is substantial- in reality, not so much.  The edge isn't chamfered, the screw heads aren't recessed.... in fact, as a key holder I think I would toss this out the window before I ever put my keys on it.

But how does it work as a tool?  I don't know yet, as I haven't used it.  I did however catalogue all of the functions, because let's face it, I'm a nice guy.  Wrench measurements below are as per my calipers.

Wrenches:
6.97mm
5.93mm
8.8mm
2.92mm
3.92mm
4.81mm
6.06mm

Cap Lifter
Carabiner
Flathead Screwdriver

Not a stellar list of features, but they might prove useful.  If they do, this tool will be considered a winner of the Fantastic Five Dollar Challenge- if not, well, there is already a well worn path to the REJECT pile.   :facepalm:

I will say this much for it though- at the very least, the carabiner gate does seem reasonable- it doesn't stick and it doesn't flop around.  I wouldn't use this for spelunking in the Cave of Carbannough, but it should at least function well enough as a carabiner, even if all else fails, although I'm not sure I need another bulky $5 carabiner.

I can't say I'm impressed with it either on first glance, but the proof on this one will be in it's function.... or lack thereof, which, let's face it, is exactly where it should belong in a tool.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%