Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Metropolicity's Squirt Replacement Scales

us Offline Joseph Gonzalez

Metropolicity's Squirt Replacement Scales
on: September 08, 2016, 07:10:26 PM
They say no one forgets their first. My first Leatherman was a blue P4. The store I bought it from had stopped carrying Leatherman tools. There were only three P4s left – two in stock and the display model. I bought the two in stock for $8 each and the salesman bought the display model. That tool is now in the nefarious clutches of some TSA goon, but I replaced it with a P4. Then I discovered this forum and my life was changed forever!

I’ve settled (so far) on an EDC kit of a Skeletool, a few extra bits, and a PS4. I wanted to add a small personalized touch to my PS4, so I ordered a set of Metropolicity’s 3D printed stainless steel scales from Shapeways. Metropolicity has done a great job describing the blood, sweat, and tears that went into developing these scales, so I don’t need to cover that, but I would like to add my first impression to his commentary.

Here's what I started with: a blue PS4 with torx screws that I found on eBay. The first thing to be aware of is that these scales are easiest to install on a Squirt that was assembled at the factory with torx screws and pivots. These are rare since the design was changed after only a few months and all of the subsequent Squirts are assembled using rivets, which must be ground, drilled or cut off and replaced with aftermarket screws and pivots.
Squirt 5.jpg
* Squirt 5.jpg (Filesize: 47.95 KB)
Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

"Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day; set him on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life."

Re: Metropolicity's Squirt Replacement Scales
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 07:13:49 PM
My PS4 was one of the early ones, so installation of the scales could probably be accomplished by a moderately intelligent chimpanzee in about fifteen minutes. I was done in just a few hours.  :facepalm:
The scales themselves were very impressive. Two of the eight holes in the scales needed to be enlarged slightly with a Dremel tool and diamond bit to get them to fit properly. The other six were fine out of the box. Once I figured out my mistakes, installation was fairly straightforward. The holes on the scales are countersunk so I was even able to use the original pivots and screws.

Once I had the scales installed, I took a minute to examine the fit and finish. I ordered the stainless steel material, which is steel but with a slight bronze tint. The printing method left the scales with a rough texture that almost makes them appear to be sandblasted. I found the texture gave a much better grip than the smooth aluminum.

The stainless scales also increased the weight and thickness. The original PS4 weighed about 2.1 ounces and was approximately 12 mm thick.  The addition of the stainless scales increases those measurements to a weight of 2.8 ounces and a thickness of 14 mm. I’ve attached a photo that shows the difference in look between the original aluminum and the new stainless steel scales.
Squirt 4.jpg
* Squirt 4.jpg (Filesize: 181.71 KB)
Squirt 2.jpg
* Squirt 2.jpg (Filesize: 136.47 KB)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:25:38 PM by Joseph Gonzalez »
Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

"Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day; set him on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life."

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 07:17:51 PM
Here are two photos showing my preferred method of carry. I keep a small Mission wallet in my front pocket that contains my pocket change, Squirt PS4, and a custom BIC pen.

Now for the pros and cons. Choosing the pros was easy, but finding a few cons was difficult. I think the price is the main issue. I don't have an issue with doubling the price of the tool to get a set of scales like this. The fitting was, despite by best efforts, pretty easy. It would have been more difficult if I had a riveted model, but even then it would be worth it. Overall, I think these scales add a lot to the look and feel of an already excellent tool.

Pros:
- Added weight makes tool feel more solid.
- Texture increases grip.
- Easy to install with minimal fitting.
- Increases resistance to scratches and dings.

Cons:
- New scales cost as much as the original tool.
- Minor filing of screw holes may be required.
- Increases weight for pocket carry.

Squirt 1.jpg
* Squirt 1.jpg (Filesize: 244.95 KB)
Squirt 3.jpg
* Squirt 3.jpg (Filesize: 378.66 KB)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:24:26 PM by Joseph Gonzalez »
Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 07:18:51 PM
Wow! That is nice!
Nate

SEND IT!

Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 07:40:54 PM
These scales really are nice. I should point out that I chose the stainless steel material. It has about 60% 420 stainless and 40% bronze, which gives it a strong bronze tint. Shapeways also offers these scales in either polished or matte bronze and gold steel. The gold steel is the same as this, but plated in 24K gold, and the bronze is a mixture of 90% brass and 10% tin. There are also plastic spacers that allow for the addition of a straight pin and tweezers.
Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 09:29:02 PM
Thanks for the walk-through Joseph :cheers: They really do make the PS4 look classy :cheers:

:like:

Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 09:41:32 AM
They really do. The only two things I want to see is some sort of Leatherman bit adapter in the handle, like his hex adapter, and a set of grips for the Juice S2. Metropolicity really hit one out of the park with this one. These scales are great.
Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 02:41:08 AM
Thickness comparison between original scales and stainless ones.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

20160906_131452_001.jpg
* 20160906_131452_001.jpg (Filesize: 30.42 KB)
Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%