Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ASP POCKET KNIFE WITH CUFF KEY - MADE IN THE USA ANYONE?

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
http://www.discountcutlery.net/ASP56259-Asp-Edge-Carbon-Fiber-Pocket-Knife_p_71249.html

Any opinion?

Description
2 1/4" closed. Features standard and serrated edge blades, screwdriver, and handcuff key. Black carbon fiber handles. Keyloop. Hang packaged. Made in the USA.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: ASP POCKET KNIFE WITH CUFF KEY - MADE IN THE USA ANYONE?
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 04:26:30 PM
As someone who actually carries a handcuff key on his keys, I may sound a bit hypocritical, but I have to wonder why one would need this?  If you are officer and legitimately using handcuffs then my guess is that you probably have numerous handcuff keys on your person already.  If you are a bad guy then you probably shouldn't have a way to free yourself.  If you are an international man of mystery, imprisoned on a volcanic island fortress shaped like a skull then the evil henchmen should have removed your Swiss Army Handcuff Key along with your shoe phone, shotgun cufflinks and laser bowtie.

I'm not sure how this would be useful?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 04:44:35 PM
I like the novelty of it, but would probably just end up a shelf queen for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline getahl

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 04:54:42 PM
Don't care for (or about) the key, but I like the look of it, and had a small serrated knife to boot. But, did they really need to put both blades oriented toward the keyring?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 05:05:18 PM
Don't care for (or about) the key, but I like the look of it, and had a small serrated knife to boot. But, did they really need to put both blades oriented toward the keyring?

This is exactly what makes or breaks a multitool IMHO.

Any idiot can take a pair of pliers and stuff a few tools into it like knife blades, bottle openers, saws and files, but it takes someone who actually uses the product to realize that having the blade extend from the same point the keychain is on is impractical and counterproductive.  There is a big name company (I won't mention which one, but trust me, you'd all know who it was if I said the name) that does exactly that, and can't figure out why they aren't more mainstream.  It's because there is an art to tool design.

Look at the Victorinox Spirit, for example.  I realize that is going to the top, but really, it's form is beautiful, with each piece fitting perfectly in with all of the others, and yet it is still tough as nails and ready to any job that needs doing, and there is absolutely no wasted space.

If more designers would make something like the Spirit their goal rather than whatever they can come up with that might be trending this week, or they can easily market to modern day lumberjack wannabees then I think we would have a lot of cool stuff to talk about.  Instead, we are stuck with some company making yet another novelty.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 07:51:22 PM

Any idiot can take a pair of pliers and stuff a few tools into it like knife blades, bottle openers, saws and files, but it takes someone who actually uses the product to realize that having the blade extend from the same point the keychain is on is impractical and counterproductive.  There is a big name company (I won't mention which one, but trust me, you'd all know who it was if I said the name) that does exactly that, and can't figure out why they aren't more mainstream.  It's because there is an art to tool design.

Def

Then again one of the largest producers of multitools does the same thing. On what's said to be the tool with the highest production number ever...

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 07:57:05 PM
Who needs 2 cm serrations? Are they for sawing off tags from clothing? It would fit with the cuff key theme.

Digging the scales though...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 12:47:39 AM

Def

Then again one of the largest producers of multitools does the same thing. On what's said to be the tool with the highest production number ever...

Which one are you talking about?  I think one of us may be missing something here.

Def

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 04:12:14 AM
As someone who actually carries a handcuff key on his keys, I may sound a bit hypocritical, but I have to wonder why one would need this?  If you are officer and legitimately using handcuffs then my guess is that you probably have numerous handcuff keys on your person already.  If you are a bad guy then you probably shouldn't have a way to free yourself.  If you are an international man of mystery, imprisoned on a volcanic island fortress shaped like a skull then the evil henchmen should have removed your Swiss Army Handcuff Key along with your shoe phone, shotgun cufflinks and laser bowtie.

Def

I think the idea behind carrying a key like this is indeed that the bad guys sometimes use cuffs too. And while I agree that it's next to useless as an implement on a pocket knife that you are very unlikely to have left on your person when detained anywhere, lawfully or not, I'm not so much a fan of dismissing the idea of unlawful restraint as being reserved for Bond-esque scenarios. It might be less likely to occur than other forms of restraint, but there have been enough cases of people being handcuffed in very real situations that cost them their lives.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 01:23:05 PM
That is true, but again, what are the odds of that happening in the first place, and what are the odds that someone is going to restrain you but not check your pockets or keep an eye on you the entire time?  I think that with standard handcuffs it is probably easier and more likely that you will find something to pick them with rather than carry a handcuff key with you "just in case."

Standard handcuffs are remarkably easy to pick- you don't really need any skill, you just need something long and thin, like a zip tie to shove into the bracelet to defeat the ratchet mechanism.  It's very easy to do, even behind your back.

Def

us Offline Yalius

Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 05:43:46 AM
Jeez, guys, it's for recreational purposes. Trust me on this. Handcuff key? Serrated blade for cutting rope? Come on, I can't be the only one who realizes this... Might as well have "Christian Grey" monogrammed on the scales.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 06:02:43 AM
This Sounds like the beginning of another "Dark Stormy Night" thread

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 07:02:37 AM

Which one are you talking about?  I think one of us may be missing something here.

Def
He is referring to the Victorinox Classic, the blade is on the keyring side as well.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 04:07:11 PM

Def
He is referring to the Victorinox Classic, the blade is on the keyring side as well.

Yeah, I think there might have been some mix-up here with the two of us being fairly vague.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 04:38:01 PM
No worries- the blade at the wrong end is indeed annoying, as Kampfer recently pointed out!  :P

I was referring to a company that basically went to Home Depot, bought a bunch of hand tools, cut them off, drilled holes in them and rammed them in seemingly at random.  I realize there was more to it than that, but that's what the end result seems like, at least to me.  No thought involved, just poke holes and install.

Def

us Offline getahl

Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 05:45:19 PM
Milwaukee?

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 06:23:00 AM
I'm with Grant on this one. Some unscrupulous person selling handcuff keys to the public... it should be outlawed.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 01:58:19 PM
I'm with Grant on this one. Some unscrupulous person selling handcuff keys to the public... it should be outlawed.

I'm not sure they are unscrupulous- Armor Systems and Procedures (ASP) is a major manufacturer of law enforcement tools like expandable batons and handcuffs.  Many of their products are restricted to law enforcement supply channels, and I would imagine these are probably sold as an add on purchase in those kinds of establishments.  I doubt very much they were planning on marketing this openly.

Def

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
ASP POCKET KNIFE WITH CUFF KEY - MADE IN THE USA ANYONE?
Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 02:33:39 PM
I think it's cool in the fact that it's a unique idea. Just like the mod that a member here did with incorporating a lock pick set in a LM, I believe. Not practical to the masses but a neat tool none the less.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:36:04 PM by JBW1 »

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 17, 2016, 05:43:50 PM

Def

If I tell you why I need this, I will have to kill you...  :D 

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #20 on: September 17, 2016, 08:01:05 PM
I too don't care for the hand cuff key but I do really like the knife itself cause it also has the serrated blade.  I wish more knives had both blade types.  I think the serrated blade is very useful in many different ways and makes a great companion to the plain edge. 

I don't or wouldn't carry just a serrated edge because I get more use out of the plain edge but with sak's and mt's I like to see both on them cause each serves their purpose!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%