Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Latest haul of very cheap items from the internet.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Latest haul of very cheap items from the internet.
on: September 12, 2016, 12:35:26 AM
Go to eBay and examine the cheapest stuff you can find under the search tag of "multi-tool". That is exactly what I did here.. I have a few more items in transit. I will post them in here if and when they arrive.

1. LAIX Tool.

This uninspiring piece of metal features 2 non standard driver bits held in place via rubber rings. I know the rubber will soon dry out and this tool will lose its driver bits. Bonus marks for having one of the driver bits already showing signs of surface rust.  :tu:

2. Carabiner Key Fob.

This tool features a place to install 2 rows of keys. I haven't tried any keys yet...leaving that up to Grant who just got one of these recently.

3. Folding Knife.

Not sure exactly what the designers of this tool were thinking. This is a small knife blade that does not lock. In fact, the blade has little reason to stay opened during use. No place to put a keyring on...and I sure wouldn't put this little gem in my pocket. Just look at the knife edge...that screams quality right there.

4. The Tactical Hair Clip.

I had seen these before on eBay...and my curiosity finally got the best of me as it usually does to my chagrin. This time, I bought myself some tactical hair clips. Can I say tactical...they are silver and not black. These are copies of another item called Leatherdos found on this website...

http://odditymall.com/leatherdos-is-a-hair-clip-multi-tool

Based on the photos, I guess this hair clip might be useful, although it is hard for me to see this.

5. Ultimate Pocket Tool.

If I only had a quarter for every product that calls themselves the Ultimate Pocket Tool...I just might be able to retire a little sooner. This is a bit of a stylish card type multi-tool.

I love how it says TSA compliant...but the card has "Multi Function Card Knife" written in the middle. There is no sharp edge to be found on this. I can only assume they wrote knife just to make those TSA folks nervous.  :facepalm:

I personally think the best thing about this tools is it allows you say..."No worries fair maiden, I have a Tiger in my pocket!"

6. PRT Card Multi-tool.

I bought this one because I noted there was some rope added. There isn't much of it, and it does make the card 3x thicker than it needs to be...so I gather it could be a fail. On the other hand, if you ever need a shoelace or something, it could be worth it...I guess. Comes with a very posh vinyl carry case. Extra bonus points for having help and S.O.S Morse codes laser etched on the tool. You can once again tell this is top quality based on the supposed sharp sides being all folded and such. I guess with a bit of effort, that could be fixed.

7. A pair of Chinese Knives.

These I didn't buy off the internet...and they cost me just shy of a fiver. Both of these knives are non-lockers. At least these blades are sharp right out of the box unlike some of the other items in this thread. A cheap knife for a cheap price. Quality is as expected.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 12:49:33 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline shecky

Re: Latest haul of very cheap items from the internet.
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:02:51 AM
I have a couple of these items. The folding knife I think could potentially be made into a desirable item. You're right. It doesn't lock. I guess you'd say it's more of a slipjoint, with a mechanism similar to the Utilikey. It also functions as the keychain holding point. When you open the blade, it is removed from your keychain or whatever it's attached to. It is, unfortunately, a pretty sloppy implementation of an idea. The wrench cutout seems to be unusable. The bottle opener on mine could be better. And worst of all, the blade edge rests on a curved steel surface when closed. Even if the chisel ground blade is perfectly sharpened, it is damaged whenever closed.

I also bought the tactical hair clip, because I have to be able to laugh at myself and my fellow multitool/tactical knife nuts. I have no idea what I'd use it for. It seems like it would be a satisfactory hair clip.

The pocket knives are interesting. I've started collecting Chinese pocket knives that appear to be made for domestic markets. All have been inexpensive, with brand names like Hong Jie, Rimei, Bazo, and quite a few that either have no written english name, or even no name at all. I find them via various sources, from ebay to China or Hong Kong based internet vendors, to my local Chinatown. Some have remarkably rough quality. Many exhibit surprisingly nice fit and finish. A very common construction style seems to typically involve slipjoint design, with stainless handles, screw fastener construction, with a finish of black paint and ground flat surfaces. It can be a very pleasant look, though the shapes and aesthetics otherwise might not be so appealing. Many of these knives, even the cheapest, roughest  ones are actually reasonably good users. In fact, of this lot, I carry one regularly, a very roughly finished slipjoint, blanked with some of the sloppiest dies I've seen, into a shape that has some perplexing ornamentation, and manages still to be a pretty good cutter, with nice blade snap, very thin in the pocket, and is even capable of one hand opening. I've never seen the brands you posted, but the construction style looks pretty typical.

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 02:22:47 AM
I like the knife W31, in the shape of a birdie. :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 11:39:58 AM
The latest piece...

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62