Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG PowerLock Bait and Switch on Ebay

Offline supratentorial

SOG PowerLock Bait and Switch on Ebay
on: February 02, 2007, 06:57:37 AM
I bought another Powerlock on Ebay.  The auction description shows a Powerlock coated with black oxide with a combination small driver and can opener and a combination medium driver and bottle opener (asterisks in photo). The actual item was of an older model that is not coated with black oxide and does not have the combination tools.   The seller claims that he sent the item shown in the description.  I'll take it up with Ebay and PayPal (an Ebay company) but from past experience with sleazy sellers and Ebay red tape I'm not optimistic.  Just thought I'd let you other SOG shoppers know about it so that you use caution.  Update: He's now offering a refund so I'll ship it back tomorrow.  Hopefully he'll honor his word (this time) and issue a refund when he receives the return.  Last update: After a PayPal claim was filed, he refunded my money.  He's pulled his other SOG Powerlock auctions.  Hopefully he'll change the description if he relists them.
bait-and-switch.jpg
* bait-and-switch.jpg (Filesize: 85.25 KB)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 11:45:48 AM by supratentorial »

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: SOG PowerLock Bait and Switch on Ebay
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 06:32:46 PM
Bare metal tools can sometimes look like black oxide if photographed at a weird angle...it looks like bare metal on the inside of the gears in that ebay pic.

Still, it's a diffrent item, and you deserve a refund IMO.
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 09:10:39 PM
I agree.  The package is different and that means that unless the seller states something like "Item may not be exactly as shown" then it is fraudulent.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 01:03:17 AM
Thanks for the warning.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 03:14:11 AM
Another thing to watch out for on eBay: there are a lot of "oddball" PowerLocks out there that are missing the 1/4" adapter and the scissors. Three guesses how I found THAT out...

I've heard rumors that these were made for some strange military contract that didn't specifically require those implements, so SOG left them off to save a few bucks. On the plus side, they have both a plain-edge clip-point knife blade (rather than the standard half-serrated), *and* a separate serrated sheepsfoot blade... along with three nylon spacers where the 1/4" adapter and scissors should be.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 03:24:32 AM
I've never found a good use for those nylon spacer implements on a multitool....... :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 03:36:00 AM
I've never found a good use for those nylon spacer implements on a multitool....... :(
There aren't any. Call up SOG and order something useful to put in their place!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%