Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tube Death

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Tube Death
Reply #30 on: October 08, 2016, 06:22:32 PM
TIP
I have previously compared the SGN3 vs.Tube

Body & Construction: Probably the first thing I noted was that the TIP has no cover for the USB port, for a pocket device I think that is a no-go as it will be filled with dust. On mine you can spot a small gap towards the back, like the tow half don't fit perfectly together (I can push a piece of paper in, but only about a millimeter). Despite having a picture of a wet TIP on their website, I cannot find any indication that the TIP is water resistant. The keyring loop is another piece that does not really fit the rest of the TIP design wise, it also creates more holes in the body (in the close up all the way to the right, you can also see that the metal body is not really nicely finished as this edge looks really rough).
Personally, it feels like the parts don't fit together well and the whole body is a long way from the sleek uni-body of the SGN3.

Light & Reflector: Obviously, the TIP kicks ass in the brightness department, it's color is slightly cooler than the SGN3 but still warmer than the TUBE. The TIPs reflector has tiny bumps resulting in a much fuzzier beam than the SGN3. This makes me highly doubt that the TIP has a throw of over 70m. While the reflector is a clear improvement over the tube, I prefer the smooth reflector of the SGN3 with the much more defined beam (especially, since I use my flashlight to find stuff I have dropped).

Button: The TIP is operated with two buttons, one for ON/OFF and one to cycle through the mode. The buttons stand out quite prominently, which is thanks to a lock-out mode (press and hold both buttons) only a cosmetic problem. The button have a good feel to them, and I would say are the best part about this flashlight.

Conclusion: Buy the SGN3

Tube 3 : 0 Challengers

SGN3 vs. Tube
I would call that a draw, as there is merit to both. The tube has weight and price on its side, whereas the SGN3 offers a reflector (better beam, warmer light) and more function at a significant higher price.

Tube 4 : 1 Challengers
tip_00.jpg
* tip_00.jpg (Filesize: 113.59 KB)
tip_01.jpg
* tip_01.jpg (Filesize: 85.1 KB)
tip_04.jpg
* tip_04.jpg (Filesize: 108.48 KB)
tip_02.jpg
* tip_02.jpg (Filesize: 92.98 KB)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 06:26:51 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: October 08, 2016, 06:22:52 PM
One more image
tip_03.jpg
* tip_03.jpg (Filesize: 118.59 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: October 08, 2016, 06:24:54 PM
Quick look around suggests the TIP isn't getting much love atm. And yes I know how that sounds. Get out of the gutter.
Well, it won't get much love from me either :P

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: October 08, 2016, 06:28:42 PM
Quick look around suggests the TIP isn't getting much love atm. And yes I know how that sounds. Get out of the gutter.
:rofl:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: October 08, 2016, 09:19:54 PM
Wow thanks for the in depth review of the product line. Very nice of you. Unfortunate too some of those weren't better. I really like the small tube that's like $12, I think that ones of great value.

Thanks again
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #35 on: October 08, 2016, 09:32:30 PM
Thanks for the insights, Beat  :salute: i'm not being inspired to part with any cash, so I'll stick with the tube I reckon. The Tube has served me well so far, albeit with a few accidental activations. I have one on my house keys, plus two spares in a drawer. Should last me a while  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #36 on: October 08, 2016, 09:48:00 PM
I'll admit I was curious about these lights, but I'll stick with the Olight I3U EOS on my keys or an S1 in the pocket. Not as many lumens, but hey  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: October 08, 2016, 11:35:02 PM
I'll admit I was curious about these lights, but I'll stick with the Olight I3U EOS on my keys or an S1 in the pocket. Not as many lumens, but hey  :salute:
My S1 puts out something like 500 lumen, the S1R 900... :think:

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #38 on: October 08, 2016, 11:46:39 PM
My S1 puts out something like 500 lumen, the S1R 900... :think:

I3e is (in copper and black) is 120, the S10RII is 500, but the S10R II is a bit bigger and quite a lump to carry around in a pocket. Clipped on it's fine.

Say that I will happily carry the S2 Baton in Copper, now that is a beast  :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #39 on: October 10, 2016, 07:13:37 AM
these are very bulky for keychain lights, I guess their thinking was to emulate a car remote, but I think these add too much size to your keychain, esp if you have a vic classic on it like I do. if it was my choice I would slap that little olight on my keychain and put the nitecores in car glveboox or mount it to wall in clothes closet.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: October 10, 2016, 09:29:17 AM
these are very bulky for keychain lights, I guess their thinking was to emulate a car remote, but I think these add too much size to your keychain, esp if you have a vic classic on it like I do. if it was my choice I would slap that little olight on my keychain and put the nitecores in car glveboox or mount it to wall in clothes closet.
The Olight (and the Jetbeam) are size wise probably the two best for key-chain. They are however twisties, something I don't like. So it is a bit a question what for and how much you need a keychain light.
The midnight 58mm are also quite good lights, but they have no mode, no reflector and can't be recharged. They were for people who rarely use a flashlight and only need it for a short period of time (past tense, because the mobile-phone can do that perfectly well, so I rather have pen/tweezers/toothpick).
The Tube is for people who use the light more often but only need very little light (and want to save their mobile-phone battery, or use the light in a place where you don't want to drop your mobile phone (like on a boat)).

Anything more, you want a light with a reflector. And for me at least no twisty (reverse twisty would be OK). That leaves very few lights and currently I like the SGN3 best (although most days I have no light on my keychain as the mobile-phone does the trick for me).

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: October 10, 2016, 11:11:28 AM
why no twisty? I never lost a head if thats your concern

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: October 10, 2016, 11:42:36 AM
It has happened once to me (considering how rarely I carry a light, that is too much / can't remember the brand). The opposite has happened to me too, that the light got turned on in my backpack (Fenix E15).
Personally, I feel like this is a design flaw. I mean you add in o-ring and stuff to make it water-/dustproof, then you take it half way apart for storage.

I know lots of people get along with the twisty fine, that is why I wrote "at least for me". So, nothing wrong with twisties, they are just not for me.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: October 11, 2016, 02:22:35 AM
It has happened once to me (considering how rarely I carry a light, that is too much / can't remember the brand). The opposite has happened to me too, that the light got turned on in my backpack (Fenix E15).
Personally, I feel like this is a design flaw. I mean you add in o-ring and stuff to make it water-/dustproof, then you take it half way apart for storage.

I know lots of people get along with the twisty fine, that is why I wrote "at least for me". So, nothing wrong with twisties, they are just not for me.

I can send you my address if you want to give me those twistys lol

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD