Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

US Army knife versus SAK

zrxoa1 · 59 · 3653

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: US Army knife versus SAK
Reply #30 on: May 10, 2017, 08:33:46 PM
So, how does the US Army Camillus knife compare to the SI or Soldier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 1993 Camillus US Army knife and if I compare it to a Victorinox alox Soldier knife the Vic wins in my opinion.

The awl on the Vic works much better.

The cap lifters on both knives are similar, but the Vic has a little wider screwdriver tip on it.

The Vic can opener is, in my opinion, much quicker to use. The Camillus can opener is the claw type that goes clock wise around the can.

The main blade on the Camillus is similar in shape to the Vic.

Here are pictures of a Camillus and a Vic for comparison
:like:  :like: :like:   :tu:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 08:53:27 PM

I have a 1993 Camillus US Army knife and if I compare it to a Victorinox alox Soldier knife the Vic wins in my opinion.

The cap lifters on both knives are similar, but the Vic has a little wider screwdriver tip on it.

The Vic can opener is, in my opinion, much quicker to use. The Camillus can opener is the claw type that goes clock wise around the can.

I have been looking at pics on eBay. The Camillus doesn't "look" to be as well made as the SAK. The bail on the US knife is hideous!  I couldn't deal with the can opener either. I depend on the smaller flat head far too much.

Thank you for the info and pics!!

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 10:28:01 PM
In addition to the before mentioned back spring problems, the Camillus' have a well deserved reputation for removing thumbnails. They're also cruder than the SAKs.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #33 on: May 10, 2017, 10:29:26 PM
In addition to the before mentioned back spring problems, the Camillus' have a well deserved reputation for removing thumbnails. They're also cruder than the SAKs.

Cruder yes, like prehistorically so.  ;)

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: May 10, 2017, 10:41:49 PM
With all due respect to the SAK world, of which I am gladly a part of, I had hoped for better reports on the US version. Being a US citizen, I would like to "support" my country by carrying a US made knife like the Camillus. However, at almost 50 years old, I have no desire to deal with something that substandard.

I love my Wenger and it will continue to be with me daily.

That said, I will source a less expensive example of the Camillus someday and add to the collection.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #35 on: May 10, 2017, 10:43:37 PM

I have been looking at pics on eBay. The Camillus doesn't "look" to be as well made as the SAK. The bail on the US knife is hideous! I couldn't deal with the can opener either. I depend on the smaller flat head far too much.

The oversized bail on the Camillus was for attaching to a mess kit handle with other utensils for cleaning in a tub of hot soapy water.

* mess_kit.JPG (Filesize: 26.41 KB)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:44:45 PM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: May 10, 2017, 10:49:16 PM
Well, then it was made that way for a reason. Shame on me for not knowing better. Thank you for the education. 

So what's the deal with the nail nicks causing so much trouble.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #37 on: May 10, 2017, 10:51:00 PM

I have been looking at pics on eBay. The Camillus doesn't "look" to be as well made as the SAK. The bail on the US knife is hideous! I couldn't deal with the can opener either. I depend on the smaller flat head far too much.

The oversized bail on the Camillus was for attaching to a mess kit handle with other utensils for cleaning in a tub of hot soapy water.

LOL  :rofl:

Oh my...  :like:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #38 on: May 10, 2017, 10:55:54 PM
Well, then it was made that way for a reason. Shame on me for not knowing better. Thank you for the education. 

So what's the deal with the nail nicks causing so much trouble.

They are extremely stiff to open and often break thumbnails. I inherited several from my Dad; got rid of all of them.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #39 on: May 10, 2017, 11:02:58 PM
And then the bail is used as a safety, to keep that soapy blade from taking your trigger finger ALL the way off...  :rofl:

Either you are just one funny guy CS, or whoever told you that story was.  :like: :cheers:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #40 on: May 10, 2017, 11:05:05 PM
With all due respect to the SAK world, of which I am gladly a part of, I had hoped for better reports on the US version. Being a US citizen, I would like to "support" my country by carrying a US made knife like the Camillus. However, at almost 50 years old, I have no desire to deal with something that substandard.

That said, I will source a less expensive example of the Camillus someday and add to the collection.

Then carry one of these.....   All these except the CASE and KaBar (maybe) are Camillus made.  There are Camillus branded Scouts of fine quality and Remington Camp/Scouts that are also Camillus made.

You can even get one with a Phillips...

Imperial BSA 5 Blade Scout.

Scout thread...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71569.msg1458308.html#msg1458308
AG Russell Premium Scout 3-31-17_zps6g07ijkn.jpg
* AG Russell Premium Scout 3-31-17_zps6g07ijkn.jpg (Filesize: 124.92 KB)
Case Scout 2-27-17.JPG
* Case Scout 2-27-17.JPG (Filesize: 128.81 KB)
Craftsman Scout 5-5-17.JPG
* Craftsman Scout 5-5-17.JPG (Filesize: 133.08 KB)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:10:10 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline twiliter

Reply #41 on: May 10, 2017, 11:06:56 PM
I used to have one too, used to that is.  :salute:

The mess kit, excellent, the "army knife", not so much...
IMG_0577.JPG
* IMG_0577.JPG (Filesize: 161.87 KB)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #42 on: May 10, 2017, 11:14:43 PM
And then the bail is used as a safety, to keep that soapy blade from taking your trigger finger ALL the way off...  :rofl:

Either you are just one funny guy CS, or whoever told you that story was.  :like: :cheers:

It was originally intended for the Camillus to  replace the mess kit knife. However the various nooks and crannies made it too hard to clean properly. The oversized bail was retained for cleaning the can opener.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: May 10, 2017, 11:17:57 PM

Then carry one of these.....   All these except the CASE and KaBar (maybe) are Camillus made.  There are Camillus branded Scouts of fine quality and Remington Camp/Scouts that are also Camillus made.

(Image removed from quote.)

Scout thread...
:drool:  :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :cheers:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: May 10, 2017, 11:20:31 PM

Scout thread...
:drool:  :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :cheers:

Thx Rocky!!  :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #45 on: May 10, 2017, 11:31:40 PM
and you must admit the American Army Knife or AAK has basically no ring to it at all...

Americans don't give it their best unless nuclear power is involved ....   :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: May 10, 2017, 11:32:37 PM
No. Thank you. That was a barrage of beautiful! Been thinkin about a scout for years. Just never pulled the trigger.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: May 11, 2017, 04:23:22 AM
Well....guess I'll find out some more. Just snatched a brand new Camillus off of flea bay for $25...new, still in packaging. 

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: May 11, 2017, 07:42:17 PM

I have been looking at pics on eBay. The Camillus doesn't "look" to be as well made as the SAK. The bail on the US knife is hideous!  I couldn't deal with the can opener either. I depend on the smaller flat head far too much.

You are welcome!

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #49 on: May 11, 2017, 11:07:21 PM
I've owned Camillus army knives and Vic Soldier & Wenger SI knives. The Swiss models are my favorites. I've since sold the Camillus models to collectors. YMMV. tom.  8)
Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceòl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: May 11, 2017, 11:10:59 PM
I've owned Camillus army knives and Vic Soldier & Wenger SI knives. The Swiss models are my favorites. I've since sold the Camillus models to collectors. YMMV. tom.  8)

I bought the Camillus for $25. It'll be a keeper. Probably live in a drawer. Haha!

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #51 on: May 13, 2017, 02:42:46 PM
The Vic is a better knife in every way than the old stamped steel demo knife. The steel on the demo knife is softer and harder to sharpen without rolling or burring, the can opener is nigh useless, the awl is too blunt to effectively use, the scales are sharp and uncomfortable in the hands, and the backsprings break fairly commonly. Aside from nostalgia or a militaria collection (I lean towards the collection side), there is no reason to prefer the demo knife over the Soldier or SI.
ETA: My demo knife is a beat up '71 Imperial I found somewhere along the way, probably at a yard sale, for the record.

Now, if you're talking about authentic Camillus bone scaled official Boy Scouts of America knives, the comparison gets harder. Those knives were beautiful, perhaps too much so for the abuse they were destined to receive in the hands of young scouts (I'm an Eagle Scout, I've seen some horrid things done to pocketknives over the years). For pure functionality and setting nostalgia aside, however, the Vic still wins. There's a reason why the only decent multifunction official scout knives currently in production are Victorinox. For full disclosure, I'm a sucker for a good four-blade Scout pattern, which is why the Pioneer is my favorite Swiss Army knife.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:49:08 PM by thatotherguy »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #52 on: May 13, 2017, 06:07:37 PM
The Vic is a better knife in every way than the old stamped steel demo knife. The steel on the demo knife is softer and harder to sharpen without rolling or burring, the can opener is nigh useless, the awl is too blunt to effectively use, the scales are sharp and uncomfortable in the hands, and the backsprings break fairly commonly. Aside from nostalgia or a militaria collection (I lean towards the collection side), there is no reason to prefer the demo knife over the Soldier or SI.
ETA: My demo knife is a beat up '71 Imperial I found somewhere along the way, probably at a yard sale, for the record.

Now, if you're talking about authentic Camillus bone scaled official Boy Scouts of America knives, the comparison gets harder. Those knives were beautiful, perhaps too much so for the abuse they were destined to receive in the hands of young scouts (I'm an Eagle Scout, I've seen some horrid things done to pocketknives over the years). For pure functionality and setting nostalgia aside, however, the Vic still wins. There's a reason why the only decent multifunction official scout knives currently in production are Victorinox. For full disclosure, I'm a sucker for a good four-blade Scout pattern, which is why the Pioneer is my favorite Swiss Army knife.

:like:  I enjoyed reading that.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: May 13, 2017, 11:48:03 PM

:cheers: :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #54 on: May 13, 2017, 11:52:11 PM
Thanks for the kind words (or, in this case, emoticons) guys!

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: May 17, 2017, 09:25:56 PM
Got a couple new knives in today, this is one of them!

I was shocked. The thing is new but the blade is in rough shape. It "looks" good at first glance, but the blade is nicked up. I'll have to clean it up some.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: May 17, 2017, 09:27:02 PM

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #57 on: May 21, 2017, 01:13:57 AM
Unfortunately that kind of thing is a side effect of production by the lowest bidder in the highest quantity possible...

Offline stugumby

Reply #58 on: June 19, 2017, 06:12:18 PM
These are best described as mass production beater knives. In the days before multi tools this was about all there was except the TL-29  linesmens knife. I have owned several over the years, never had a back spring break, lost mine in the desert back in 1991. Must have opened a jillion cans of turboshaft oil with the can opener. Still have one marked Q 1986, still impressed with its durability and overall usability for beater tasks. And yes, the Victorinox's are much better standard of fit and finish. Amazingly though they are similar in cost,Ontario sells them as a camp knife at around $35 and Vic pioneers go for the same price. Overall a good soldiers basic tool for basic tasks, exactly what they were designed to do.

Also there are some cheap copies out there, schrade and rough rider come to mind.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:18:00 PM by stugumby »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD