Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is Apple stumbling?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Is Apple stumbling?
on: September 16, 2016, 03:32:30 PM
My dislike for Apple is well documented, as I hope is my respect for their strengths.  You don't have to be an enthusiast to appreciate the seamless device integration or the exacting software details that can only come from owning and controlling everything, soup to nuts as they say.

But, one of the problems with being the front runner (as I have found out with all of the copycat multitool review startups that have come along in the last ten years) is that everyone is gunning for you,  your position,  or both.

Apple is just like that- everyone has an opinionon them, whether it matters or not.  And by that I mean an iPhone is just another tool, not the way of life that some folks think it is.  Neither is Samsung, Android, Coke, Pepsi, Ford, Chevy or (dare I say it?) Leatherman or Victorinox.  Yes, you can prefer one or the other, but you are better off if you can truly appreciate them all for what they are, as they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

But even I have been noticing that Apple''s latest announcement came and went without any fanfare, and, according to this article, I'm not the only one who noticed their lack of notice.  This is especially noticable when we are discussing a company that has always prided themselves on being the ones that get noticed.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/six-reasons-smart-folks-worried-apple-jason-calacanis

While I hope Apple isn't actually failing again, it might not be a bad idea for them to take a few lumps, get down off their high horses, reinvent themselves and come back again in a few years like they did 10-15 years ago.

Just a thought.  Since it's Apple, I know everyone out there has an opinion, so what do you think of all of this?  More Apple bashing, or possibly the downward arc?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Re: Is Apple stumbling?
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 04:33:44 PM
Absolutely not. Apple remaims the premiere innovater for phones and computers. And that's due to their attention to detail and overall highest quality control paired with their number 1 customer service. Apple produces products on another level from the rest of the pack, sure there are some standouts from various manufacturers, but they can be far and few between.

*And their phones won't melt into a pile of goo like some, Samsung I'm talking to you...  :D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:35:01 PM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:03:33 PM
*And their phones won't melt into a pile of goo like some, Samsung I'm talking to you...  :D
You do realize that the same thing has happened to Apple too? They got over it, so will Samsung

Absolutely not. Apple remaims the premiere innovater for phones and computers. And that's due to their attention to detail and overall highest quality control paired with their number 1 customer service. Apple produces products on another level from the rest of the pack, sure there are some standouts from various manufacturers, but they can be far and few between.
Not really an innovator, most things Apple claims to have invented has been there before.
And while their quality is great, not sure I would call them best (I would probably give that crown to HTC but I ain't an expert)... Especially, since Apple produced exploding phones too ;)
Also Apple only caters the premium segment, so of course when we talk quality, we have to compare them to the premium devices from other manufactures.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 11:26:19 PM

The article above points out that the new iPhone seems very short on improvements.  Being an innovator means staying ahead of the crowd, while it seems that the latest iPhone is doing a half arsed version of what everyone else was doing two years ago.

We wanted VR, we wanted a new form factor and Howard Stern wanted holographic phone calls. We got Samsung’s waterproofing from two years ago, a new color (or lack of color), a camera upgrade and they took our headphone jack.

Not suggesting they aren't advancements, but they aren't the kind of advancements we have come to expect from Apple.

On a side note, why the hell wouldn't all phones be waterproof?  I mean, has anyone here not ever had to make a phone call in the rain?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 12:10:24 AM
Now I know specs doesn't say everything but it has been a bit strange to see Apple hype their screens while the competition has been doing 10+% higher ppi. Hyping their new 13 MP camera while Sony is at 23. Talking about waterproofing like it isn't almost standard these days etc. Oh, and they've always been a bit behind on the actual telephone connection, the early ones dropped calls all the time and then there was the screw-up where they missed that their antenna was blocked while holding the phone normally for a call.

Nah, I'll stick with Android and I'll go back to Sony in a generation or so (their latest releases haven't been that great but at least they aren't hyping them through the roof).

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 01:04:56 AM
Heard that they are waiting for next year to unveil a new design, being their anniversary and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 02:20:56 AM
Is Apple stumbling? lol

They've LITERALLY sold a billion phones. Billion, with a B   :rofl:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 02:22:26 AM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 02:39:19 AM
McDonald's had to remove the bits on their signs that say "Over __ Billion Served" because their counters couldn't keep up with the vast number of business they do.  Volume doesn't equal success, and some people will buy anything with a brand name on it.  Look at the Signal or the Tread.   ::)

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 03:13:47 AM
I think must here probably know I'm a huge Apple fan. Apple works, plain and simple. I don't think anyone else is even close to out of the box functionality across devices. That fact alone made it extremely difficult for me to just switch to Android.

The new iPhone 7 doesn't impress me much. Is it a great device? Absolutely! Revolutionary, I think not.

I've always preferred the flexibility of Android over the our way of Apple. IOS 10 has taken quite a few things from Android, and it's made the os a bit better.

Google has done a great job with Android, and even Samsung has made tasteful changes.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 03:16:43 AM
Also remember, a BlackBerry was the best you could get. They didn't embrace change, and thought they would stay the best. Where are they now?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 11:33:26 AM
Also remember, a BlackBerry was the best you could get. They didn't embrace change, and thought they would stay the best. Where are they now?

BlackBerry Priv, one of the best smartphones of 2016 ;)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 01:04:12 PM
I was never a big fan of Apple. I can recall drooling over the Lisa, and what a bomb that turned out to be...not to mention the $$$!

With that said, I have owned a Macbook 100, and currently own a Gen 4 iPad, and love it.

From my perspective, something left when they lost Steve Jobs...but I do not think they are hurting in the least. I wish them continued success personally. They way I see it, although I may not be their biggest fan, they at least drive the other competition to do better...Samsung exploding batteries notwithstanding.  :D

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 01:27:54 PM
I really appreciate that Apple provides updates for old and new models alike. I have a iPhone 5 and get all the software updates as the folks that are paying big $ to keep up with the newest tech. I respect that they don't forget about their older models once they are on to the next big thing, ya know?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 02:32:57 PM
McDonald's had to remove the bits on their signs that say "Over __ Billion Served" because their counters couldn't keep up with the vast number of business they do.  Volume doesn't equal success, and some people will buy anything with a brand name on it.  Look at the Signal or the Tread.   ::)

Def

..and MTO t-shirts, caps.... blame kirky merchandise....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 05:40:07 PM
Megapixels schmegapixles! Sony can continue throwing big numbers out there, but as the McDonalds example (previously mentioned) proves, quantity does NOT equal quality. Is Apple making the best camera? Is their screen the highest resolution? Are the devices the thinnest? Lightest? Fastest? Longest battery life? Fastest recharge? I don't know or care anymore than most of the people who buy their products. Because none of those, on their own, are important. It is the entire package including the OS, user experience, and surrounding ecosystem, that makes an Apple device what it is. Apple has avoided the trap that all others are stuck in - performance specifications. Sure, they still throw down numbers for the nerds to obsess about. But the focus is on the user and their experience, rather than some intangible specification. Apple has been listening to their "average users" and building for them.

Is Apple innovating at a breath taking pace? No, they are refining and evolving while making calculated changes. To those who claim Apple is about to fall burning from the sky, I say that time will tell. But if the past decade has shown us anything, you are probably wrong.
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: September 17, 2016, 05:42:58 PM
apples and oranges...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 03:05:08 AM
I really am a huge Apple fan (typing this from my MacBook Pro), but they are no longer the leaders.  I do consider them the Victorinox of the mobile world though. 

I used to HATE Samsung phones.  They always felt like cheap kids toys, but are now one of the best phones to hold (IMO).  I do think that HTC also makes ones of the best phones out there.  My old HTC One was one hell of a nice phone.

It really is all personal preference though. 

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 06:21:43 AM
If I turn it on and it works in happy. Don't really care which one it is as long as I can get on mto I'm good.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline MrsSabrina

• Trying to Survive after Death!
Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 07:21:19 AM
some things work some don't. They all have good bad and ugly it's whether you can get them to work the way you need them too.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 01:46:47 PM
I really appreciate that Apple provides updates for old and new models alike. I have a iPhone 5 and get all the software updates as the folks that are paying big $ to keep up with the newest tech. I respect that they don't forget about their older models once they are on to the next big thing, ya know?

Megan has a first Generation iPad that would probably not agree with most of the above.

:pok:

Def

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 05:13:35 PM
We have a first gen as well, most the apps don't even work anymore. Well my phone is a 5 and it's getting harder to even find screen protectors for it already, so I'm grateful that at least the OS can keep up to date.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 08:44:17 PM
I was just looking at the HP Elite x3, yeah a Windows phone... but this one is really cool, you can get a laptop shell (only screen, keyboard and battery) and use it with your phone. You can even put it in a cradle, hook up mouse, keyboard and screen and you have a fully functional computer. Ok not the most powerful computer but still fully functional for surfing and office stuff. Just make sure you have a good backup plan ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 12:06:33 AM
I was just looking at the HP Elite x3, yeah a Windows phone... but this one is really cool, you can get a laptop shell (only screen, keyboard and battery) and use it with your phone. You can even put it in a cradle, hook up mouse, keyboard and screen and you have a fully functional computer. Ok not the most powerful computer but still fully functional for surfing and office stuff. Just make sure you have a good backup plan ;)

Sounds a lot like my original Android phone, the Motorola Atrix.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 12:08:24 PM
I believe there's a more generic version of that setup in the works, which makes sense since a lot of people have smartphones, but want screen real estate and a keyboard...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

de Offline Josh613

Reply #24 on: September 25, 2016, 12:32:55 PM
I'm still using a iPhone 5s haven't felt the need to upgrade and I'm on a sim only contract that I can cancel anytime which is cool too. My gf is still using iPhone 5s too maybe I'll get a 7 at some point or switch to Samsung or Sony not too sure at the moment. I have a iPad mini 3 too which gets quite a lot of use.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 01:00:13 PM
Stumbling? No, but I do see them slowing their pace - they have created a market that wants something new, shiny and different every 18 months. Heavy on the "different" part. Whatever they introduce in a computer, phone, watch or whatever is going to have to have something "whiz bang gee whiz" about it or it will die in the crib. I think they are changing their marketing strategy as well to be less over the top and more "Everyman" (although this Everyman can't afford a new $600 phone every 18 months). The market is getting smaller and more competitive and Apple knows it; they are just adapting.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

no Offline Grathr

Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 03:26:30 PM
I have had my Iphone 5s for 3 years now, and that is my longest surviving smart phone. My androids only lasted 1-2 years.
(I do however have an old Nokia E52 in my car that I have had since 2010, and its still going strong :D )
I remember I was very sceptical when I first got the 5s, but it simply works. All my collagues who got the Samsung  are already a year into their second samsungs, as the previous ones failed. We who got I phone 5C and 5S still have them.

The Iphone 7+ is actually getting a lot of good tech reviews in papers over here, so they must have done something right.

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 08:18:37 PM
I've only owned an apple touch 32g and nano 16g. They sure were nice quality and beautiful devices. I wanted to throat punch itunes and apple cloud at times. I went back to all Samsung devices. I love their tablets (tabs and S2) and Galaxy 2,3,4,5 phones. My next phone will be a Samsung 7 in December. Never had a problem with Samsung...will continue to be android user. Drag and drop wins for me.

At Best Buy mobile it started with tons of different phones offered..now it's mainly Samsung or Apple. Sometimes we carried LG phones but no one really bought them. Good luck finding a case that wasn't Apple or Samsung.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #28 on: October 10, 2016, 07:26:29 PM
Only just catching up on this thread.

I've been back and forth between Apple and whatever Android is hottest at the time for years now.  I'm currently using an iPhone 6s, and I'm thrilled with it.  But it isn't MUCH better than the Galaxy S5 I had before it.  Functionally, it serves the exact same.  I like the form a bit better, fit and finish are better, and it is smoother.  The S5 began bogging down about 6 months into owning it, but my iphone is 8 months old now and works like new.  But that has been the story the whole time, every single time I switch to iOS from android, the same thing caused me to switch: glitchy android devices.  And I've always owned flagship devices.  My take on it is this: Apple has, in one way or another, figured out how to make these things simply work and work well.  They are the most user friendly.  Android is fantastic as well, but might require more patience and tech ability. 

Is Apple stumbling?  Maybe.  They aren't innovating at the rate they used to, but there will come a day when these phones reach critical mass and can't be improved upon any more in their current form, kind of the way pre-smartphone cell phones did.  Phones as we know them are on the decline as far as I'm concerned.  Our desperate need for the next best thing will take us beyond handsets and into phone-watches, google glasses, or other wearable tech.  I happen to really enjoy technology and advancement, so it's fun to watch. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: October 10, 2016, 07:56:34 PM
I'm a simple guy who just wants it to freaking work.  I also despise disposable as best I can.  When I switched to the iphone3 it was a huge leap for me.  I came from nokia and palm.  I think was best describes my experience is, it works. 

I had my iPhone3 that played very well with my iMac I got several years later till I finally killed my phone.  I repeatedly dropped it and finally got it soaked one too many times.  Now this mind you was well into iPhone5.   I ended up getting the iphone5 instead of at the time the Galaxy.  I cannot say I would have been disappointed or thrilled for that matter but I can say I haven't regretted my decision. 

My phone and computer work together very well.  My phone has been a great tool for me as well.  I use mine for business purposes and so any disruption is money lost.  Side not is my iMac is also running very smoothly after many years.  I cant say that about the other computers I've had. 

Is Apple stumbling?  Bigger, faster, etc etc is great for marketing but in my usage all I care about is if it works, and mine always have.

I have no need for the iphone7 as I had no need for the sixes.  My iPhone5 works and while my iOS says I need to update, I also see no need.

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD