Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help identifying old British traditional knives

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Help identifying old British traditional knives
on: April 16, 2024, 10:54:22 PM
I am hoping to attend as many bootsales  and second hand shops as I can in the hope of finding some good old traditional knives.
I am hoping to not pay a lot for each knife as I am not knowledgeable enough to recognise the wheat from the chaff.
So can anyone please recommend the names of some good traditional knife makers to look out for, either still in business or long gone.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Help identifying old British traditional knives
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 11:01:11 PM
   High quality knives look and feel like high quality knives.  Rather than memorizing a list of names, maybe you should trust your eyes and hands.  I think you can make the right choices and strike a deal on the spot.  Best wishes.  G
 :cheers:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 11:18:52 PM
Thanks I  think (hopefully) I know a little to recognise a well made knife. But  as  not having a lot of disposable cash I will have to limit my spending, as as much as I would love to buy anything and everything that took my fancy . as the great Kenny Roger’s said, you got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away.  And I would not want to walk away from what is a rarer or more sort after knife because the seller wanted a couple of pounds more than I decided was my limit.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 12:39:14 AM
 For British makers there are a few that come to mind.  George Wostenholm I*XL,  Joseph Rodgers, Taylors Eye Witness, Lockwood Brothers,  Albert Oates.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 01:34:22 PM by SteveC »

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 01:35:05 AM
Thanks Steve,  :salute:
I am also keeping an eye out for any books on pocket knives in charity shops as secondhand knife books seem to cost a tidy sum too from book dealers. I’m guessing because they probably had small print runs.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: Today at 05:07:41 AM
Thomas Turner, W Saynor, C Johnson, William Rodgers, Venture by H M Slater, Needham, Wade and Butcher, Ibberson, Harrison Brothers and Howson, are some more to keep an eye out for. W Saynor pruners usually bring good money. Unless the seller doesn't know what they have.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: Today at 05:34:54 AM

I am also keeping an eye out for any books on pocket knives in charity shops as secondhand knife books seem to cost a tidy sum too from book dealers. I’m guessing because they probably had small print runs.

If you can find a copy of this book it would be worth your effort to get it. It's a great book on Sheffield Cutlery

* KIMG6416~2.jpg (Filesize: 158.61 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: Today at 01:26:06 PM
Richards is a name you'll come across most often.  Lets call them...made to a budget.  ;)  If you like one then absolutely buy it, but don't pay a lot. 

Everything else I would look at on a case by case basis.  Condition matters a lot.  The finest Thomas Turner that is basically broken isn't worth much of anything, but if it's just a bit grubby or scuffed then it might be a hidden gem.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%