Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Core Drivers

Offline supratentorial

Core Drivers
on: February 02, 2007, 08:18:18 AM
I'm not a big fan of the Leatherman Core's design but I've got to say the drivers are excellent.  Hollow ground and standard sizes!  I got a chance to use it today and the difference is quite noticeable.  I wish the Leatherman Wave had been updated with these drivers rather than the bit drivers.
core.jpg
* core.jpg (Filesize: 73.99 KB)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 08:21:46 AM by supratentorial »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Core Drivers
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 11:36:50 AM
I have a Core on the way- I can't wait to play with the drivers that everyone is talking about.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 12:53:19 AM
Nice comparison close-up supratentorial!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Cheviot

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 12:11:48 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Leatherman Core's design but I've got to say the drivers are excellent.  Hollow ground and standard sizes!  I got a chance to use it today and the difference is quite noticeable.  I wish the Leatherman Wave had been updated with these drivers rather than the bit drivers.

Ditto

I am not a fan of the bit drivers at all.
IMO one bit driver to accomodate all the funny drivers required (Allan,Torx etc..) but a tool needs a selection of good flat drivers and a useable (Like the Core) Pozi/Phillips drive.

Rob
S

Offline damota

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 05:52:53 PM
I would rather abuse a bit than a multi tool. Bits can be made to do jobs they are not intended to do or it is impossible to use a dedicated tool off a multi for like brazing two together at right angles to get in a tight spot or using the long ones to get down deep into those screws at the bottom of those deep wells in the back of radios and such. They are cheap enough that if you bugger them up they can easily be replaced.

Dave

Offline supratentorial

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 08:55:54 PM
Standard hex shank bits do have the advantage of being versatile, cheap, & replaceable.  But this is less of an advantage if you are stuck using the flattened Leatherman bits.*  Unfortunately the bits aren't readily available for individual purchase and the bit kits cost as much as I've paid for some of my Leatherman multi-tools.  You could grind standard bits to fit the Leatherman adapter but it would be simpler just to buy the universal adapter or a multi-tool that uses standard hex shank bits.

Dedicated drivers have some advantages.  One advantage is driver length (photo 1).  This isn't a problem for multi-tools that use standard hex shank bits since longer bits could be used.  But this brings us to a second advantage of dedicated drivers...You don't have to pack all the extra parts (photo 2).  This is an issue of personal preference.  Interchangeable bits are more versatile than dedicated drivers but only if you have the bits with you.  Although I have the Leatherman bit kit, I rarely carry it.  That leaves me with only the bit that’s currently residing in the tool.  :(  If I need more, it's time to get my tool box.

All three current versions of the Charge (and both the retired versions) use the bit drivers.  I think that if Leatherman had used standard dedicated drivers (like those in the Core) in the new Wave, it would have improved the tool and added more diversity to their product line up.

* Although the flattened Leatherman bits allow more space for additional tools, I don't think Leatherman took full advantage of the extra space provided (with the small bit driver and a single flat driver).  But they did generate a market for multi-tool accessories--that probably made their shareholders smile. 
size matters.jpg
* size matters.jpg (Filesize: 59.88 KB)
more to carry.jpg
* more to carry.jpg (Filesize: 68.33 KB)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 03:14:46 AM by supratentorial »

Offline damota

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 03:08:27 AM
Sorry I was forgetting the skinny LM drivers, I have a set of them but now never use them.
If you have, or know someone with a grinder have a go at modifying an adapter like Ice Tigre did in the thread a couple of threads down from this one.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,680.0.html

Dave

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 09:13:19 AM
The "skinny" LM bits have never been a problem for me. I like them for the same reason as damota. I too would rather mess up a bit than a driver on the multitool. With the sheaths that came with the LM Wave and Charge there is a space behind the tool for the bit holder to go.  As for the problem with reach you can see if you can find one the bit extenders that LM were giving away. They take the LM flat bits as well as hex bits. Or you can also make one your self.
new.jpg
* new.jpg (Filesize: 35.57 KB)
"

Offline supratentorial

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 01:02:13 PM
The bit extenders will be available for sale in the Spring.  I forgot that emailed Leatherman about them.  This is the reply I received from Leatherman:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding a Charge Bit Adapter. My apologies
for the delay in my response. We have just come off the busiest part of
our year and response time is slower than normal.

While there is not currently anything available I have spoken to our new
product manager and she has indicated that sometime this spring there
will be.

Keep an eye out on our accessory web page. As soon as they become
available they will be listed on there and that will be at
www.leatherman.com.

I hope I have been of some help to you in this matter."

The bit extenders extend the reach but you'd still need to use longer bits (photo) for deeply recessed screws.  Dedicated drivers handle this type of problem without requiring additional parts.

There's no doubt that hex shank bits are versatile.  You could also use a socket adapter (photo) which would add additional utility.

But I'm more likely to bring one of my tool boxes than to pack all of those parts. 
socket adapter.jpg
* socket adapter.jpg (Filesize: 57.77 KB)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 01:36:20 PM by supratentorial »

Offline gatch

Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 01:53:30 PM
I would rather abuse a bit than a multi tool..............They are cheap enough that if you bugger them up they can easily be replaced.

Dave

But the problem has been with these Leatherman bit drivers is that they bit driver itself shatters under abuse because it is not as strong as a dedicated driver. So the multitool chassis itself is damaged in this instance.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 01:41:53 AM
But the problem has been with these Leatherman bit drivers is that they bit driver itself shatters under abuse because it is not as strong as a dedicated driver. So the multitool chassis itself is damaged in this instance.

I read about someone "fragging their Charge" and shattering the bit driver about a year ago or so. This has never happened to me.

I must admit however, that since reading the report I go easy on the torque for fear it could happen to me.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%