Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How many times has your SAK saved your bacon?

cbl51 · 32 · 1797

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: How many times has your SAK saved your bacon?
Reply #30 on: October 29, 2016, 09:58:13 AM
Hmm - Great question CBL

Countless times it has done its job, fixed things and has been a 'godsend' - all the normal situations regarding screws, cutting, trimming (I hate snaged fingernails), sawed down branches, opening cans when no-one has a can opener etc etc!!
So maybe it has 'saved the day' - But sadly I don't think it has ever really 'saved my bacon'.

Closest I got was student parties (when typically the domiciles are under-equipped) and of course there was never a corkscrew for the botles of wine - except on my SAK!! But hardly a critical situation.

Does remind me of one story though: 'Touching the Void'.
Simon Yates was lowering his badly injured climbing partner down off a mountain called Suila Grande in South America somewhere. Joe went over the edge of a crevasse and was hanging in 'thin air' - Simon was being pulled out of his snow 'bucket seat' (which he was using to belay) by Joe's weight on the rope to which Simon was attached. He cut the rope with his SAK which caused Joe to fall, and almost certainly saved Simon's life. Joe landed on a ledge.

This caused much controversy in climbing circles at the time, but Joe to this day credits Simon with saving his life, and made this very clear in his book which came out a few years later. If you have not read the book it is throughly recommended and the film is pretty good too.   

gb Offline Skyman

Re: How many times has your SAK saved your bacon?
Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 07:37:52 PM
My wife used the scissors on my mini champ to cut a large chunk of skin off my arm/elbow after I fell off my sons scooter in a car park whilst on holiday. She then used a scalpel to dig the stones out from under the skin,I can post pics of the wound if you want...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%