Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Les Stroud Vigor Hatchet.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Les Stroud Vigor Hatchet.
on: September 21, 2016, 01:29:23 AM
I was in the local TSC store when I spied another piece of Les Stroud kit made by Camillus. I have had the machete for ages now and thought to myself that I should probably buy this to check it out.

Now for my thoughts on this product. The sheath is rather nice if a bit fiddly. You have to pop 3 snap fasteners and wiggle the hatchet out of it. Reverse what you did to secure it once more. Once in, the hatchet will never fall out as it is cradled and supported from underneath. In fact, you can have the flap open and all snap fasteners unfastened, and you still would have to work hard at losing your hatchet. The sheath also sports an external fire steel.

The hatchet features a very ergonomic handle with the usual mix of hard plastic and soft rubber. The backside of the hatchet features a hammer, and the top part is a chisel/pry bar. The hatchet came factory sharp out of the blister pack. Included is the usual Les Stroud survival page printed on a highly reflective paper.

The hatchet is well balanced, and the ergonomic handle goes a long way to making this comfortable to use, which is a good thing as the hatchet is on the thin side in thickness. The cutting edge is 5.25" long, and the overall length is 18". Of course, the hatchet is Carbonitride Titanium Bonded like a lot of Camillus gear. I am still not exactly sold on this as a worthwhile feature. Maybe someone on here can chime in on this with more knowledge and experience. What I do know is it looks good on the steel, and possibly will protect the surface from corrosion, etc...

I visited Camillus's web site and see a lot more Les Stroud labeled gear. Looks like Gerber will have some Bear competition.  ;)
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Les Stroud Vigor Hatchet.
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 04:00:44 AM
Missed this one somehow :think: I wished Les wouldn't go down the same path as Bear has with some of his stuff :-\ I have a few Camillus pieces and actually like them though :tu: Hopefully this one turns out to be an OK piece anyways :D Thanks for sharing Chako :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%