Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SeresRoad Mu08 Review

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
SeresRoad Mu08 Review
on: September 22, 2016, 03:31:53 PM
The good folks at SeresRoad got in touch with us here at multitool.org and asked if we'd be interested in reviewing one of their flashlights (torch to us here in the UK).  Not being adverse to free stuff I took the bullet and agreed to take it on.  Don't say I don't do anything for you lot.  Despite this being a free sample I aim to make this a unbiased user based review.

OK, so on to what you get when you buy one of these lights.  First off the whole thing comes in a fairly plain but functional cardboard box.  Not something that you might want to give someone as an impressive present, but it's what's on the inside that counts, right?

Once you open the box you do get quite a bit for your hard earned cash.  The light itself obviously, a user manual, a decent quality spilt-ring (which is not a given at this price point), pocket clip, S type clip and 2 AAA cells.  Now this is only a single AAA light so that's one more than you need.  Bonus.

Once it's all put together you get a ready to go set-up that's just right to go straight on your keys.  Also note that the pocket clip is reversible allowing for emitter up or down carry.  For those that care too it also means you can clip it to your cap.  The knurling is there but very low profile, fine if your hands are dry, but perhaps not so helpful if they are slick for some reason.  On the upside it won't rip up and scuff the other gear you might have hanging next to it.  The strong split-ring attachment point does have a very narrow flat on the bottom so tail standing is just about possible, but it's rather like trying to balance a coin on it's edge; doable but not particularly practical.  I've got to say that the build quality has given me no concerns.

For size I'm showing it next to two more common AAA lights; Thrunite Ti3, Fenix E01, SenseRoad Mu08.  While it's basically the same length as the other two it's also notably thicker than the Ti3.  I've not noticed the extra thickness in any negative way and the whole thing feels nice and sturdy. 

Taking the head off and you get a look at the threads.  Not a premium square cut, but well done none-the-less.  Also comes slathered in silicone grease.  Wiggling the head side to side and I'm pleased to report that there is very little movement.  Less, in fact, than that on the Thrunite Ti3.

This also give us a chance to look at the back of the emitter pill and if this means more to you than it does to me, then you definitely know more about lights than I do.  The only thing I can comment on here is that I can't see any physical reverse polarity protection. 

Looking in the front end and you'll see a XP-G R5 LED well centred in an orange peel reflector.  The tint on this is definitely cool and bright and when white wall hunting you can see a slight purple hue in the beam, but as ever I don't think this impinges on day to day use.  The beam is definitely geared towards spill rather than throw with a very soft hot spot.

The user interface (UI) on this is pretty standard twist on-off.  Some of the listings I've seen on this light seem to suggest it's got a High-Mid-Low sequence but on mine it's got a far more standard Low-Mid-High order.  Most folks will approve of this I'd say, especially as there are no Strobe or Flashing modes.  No mode memory here so it'll revert back to Low after it's been switched off for more than 5 seconds or so. 
Now, the user guide claims lumen levels of 20 on Low, 100 on Mid and 350 on High and I'm afraid this just doesn't stack up against what I'm seeing coming out the front of the light.  While I don't have any kind of set-up to test actual Lumen output I have done some comparative ceiling bounce tests and, very roughly, I'd suggest that the Low is around 10 Lumen, Mid is around 30-40 Lumen and High somewhere near 80-100 Lumen.  Now these aren't bad numbers at all, just not what's being claimed.  I'd love to see some genuine ANSI testing being done on this light.  At first I really thought I couldn't see any PWM with this light on Low and Mid, but on re-examination I have found it's there.  However it's well enough done that it's very hard to detect with the naked eye.

In conclusion I've got to say that I'm pretty impressed with this little guy, you get some good extras, it seems solidly made and it has a practical interface.  Whatever the actual Lumens are I think the Low is a good opening mode that provides a nice general purpose beam for indoor work.  I've been carrying it for nearly a week now and I've not yet felt the desire to swap it for another light in my collection.  The only problem is that the single AAA sector of the flashlight market is pretty saturated and the Mu08 doesn't quite manage to do enough to make itself stand out from the crowd, but as far as I can tell it's certainly not doing anything wrong either.  Oh, and it might be worth mentioning that this can be had for around $10.

It's available both from amazon.com and amazon.co.uk:  http://amzn.to/2csdxwp
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:16:29 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: SeresRoad Mu08 Review
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 07:35:09 PM
Looks like a nice flashlight, good bang for the buck. :tu:

And thanks for a good and thorough review, Gareth. :hatsoff:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 07:45:59 PM
Cheers mate. :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 10:18:47 PM
Edited to reflect that there is in fact PWM controlled light levels.  However  it's well enough executed so I don't see it as a problem.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 02:50:27 AM
Top notch review Gareth :like:

I have been in the need of a good AAA light and this seems like it is worth a look :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 09:21:38 AM
Top notch review Gareth :like:

I have been in the need of a good AAA light and this seems like it is worth a look :cheers:

Cheers mate,  I'd definitely say it's worth a look.  With the AAA market being so saturated you get to be very picky about exactly what features you do and don't want.  Purely for example; if you want mode memory then you could do well looking at the JetBeam Jet-μ, however if you want a light that always comes back on in Low then this Mu08 is a good option.  But then you might want something with a Firefly or extremely dim Low, or you may like this one's relatively brighter first setting etc. etc.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:22:59 AM by Gareth »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%