Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OWIE....ouch...ouch...arrgghhh

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: OWIE....ouch...ouch...arrgghhh
Reply #30 on: September 25, 2016, 02:28:13 AM
Why you don't try to "plunge cut" with a slipjoint blade. Kissed by a 93mm Alox.
Pic was taken a day or two later when it had knitted together. Looked a lot worse gaping open and gushing claret.

This is probably one of the worst SAK cuts I've had. For a long time sfter it healed I had a big bump on the side of that finger but it's gradually gone back to a normal profile now.
Funny ting is that there is virtually no scar. I know where it was but I have to look real hard to see anything. even the fingerpronts line up.

(Image removed from quote.)

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 02:45:12 AM
This 3" cut on my thigh from when I was 8 years old, I was cutting a stick with my uncles Navy rigging knife and it slipped.

Still have the knife

Wow, that's a beaut Steve!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #32 on: September 25, 2016, 10:10:36 AM
This 3" cut on my thigh from when I was 8 years old, I was cutting a stick with my uncles Navy rigging knife and it slipped.

Still have the knife

Wow, that's a beaut Steve!!!!

The scar?
Or the knife? 
:D
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: October 02, 2016, 03:46:44 PM
Both  :D

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: October 03, 2016, 12:55:05 AM
Not technically with a MT but I was drawing the ESSE Candiru about a year ago and the little booger slipped out of my hand.

This is it today

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Reply #35 on: October 03, 2016, 01:31:17 AM
3/4 inch puncture wound......Wenger soft touch in TSA filthy condition slid off the couch and stuck in my foot...damaged the Intermediate Dorsal Cutaneous Nerve.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,66258.msg1268293.html#msg1268293

I had a surgery in that area called a sub talar Arthrodesis, where they move bones etc. involved big stainless staples and those nerves got damaged in the process!

That...sucks...hardcore!

The wound healed quick but the nerves took longer...they are fine movement-wise now but if I bump that spot, it's like hitting your funny bone. When I first did it, it hurt like crazy then my foot went completely numb. My doc wanted me to go to a podiatrist/surgeon but if I can walk on it, it's good enough.

Got CP, neuropathy, 10 ortho surgery...built my own set of redesigned Canadian crutches from 316 stainless pipe, weigh 4 ponds each.for a martial arts hybrid I was developing for folks with similar problems...

Wear and tear are hi intensity at 50....trust me bro, KEEP YOUR B12 levels optimal. It makes the nerves less sensitive!  I was on Neurontin for the pain for about 10 years.

:salute: You're right, I'm 56 and disabled...what still works is failing at a steady rate.  I was on Neurontin for a while with my neck/head injury....didn't tolerate it well. Will look into the B12. Already take a mountain of supplements daily...  :facepalm:
Me too. neurontin works ok...I was taking 3200 mg a day at one point.

Look at sublingual B12. Nerve sheathes are made of b12...you run low, your body has to get it from somewhere. If you're on nexium/Prilosec that makes it WAY WAY WORSE
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #36 on: December 22, 2016, 02:57:16 PM
it was a couple of months ago but i was whittiling with my recently sharpened huntsman and it slipped into my thumb and it looked like someone dropped a bottle of red wine on the floor  :rofl:

i dont have any photos of the "fresh" wound but i still have a scar on my thumb (circled with minichamp) as its a bit faint.

and huntsman as evidence
WIN_20161222_13_54_10_Pro.jpg
* WIN_20161222_13_54_10_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 134.78 KB)

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #37 on: December 27, 2016, 10:59:59 AM
3/4 inch puncture wound......Wenger soft touch in TSA filthy condition slid off the couch and stuck in my foot...damaged the Intermediate Dorsal Cutaneous Nerve.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,66258.msg1268293.html#msg1268293

I had a surgery in that area called a sub talar Arthrodesis, where they move bones etc. involved big stainless staples and those nerves got damaged in the process!

That...sucks...hardcore!

The wound healed quick but the nerves took longer...they are fine movement-wise now but if I bump that spot, it's like hitting your funny bone. When I first did it, it hurt like crazy then my foot went completely numb. My doc wanted me to go to a podiatrist/surgeon but if I can walk on it, it's good enough.

Got CP, neuropathy, 10 ortho surgery...built my own set of redesigned Canadian crutches from 316 stainless pipe, weigh 4 ponds each.for a martial arts hybrid I was developing for folks with similar problems...

Wear and tear are hi intensity at 50....trust me bro, KEEP YOUR B12 levels optimal. It makes the nerves less sensitive!  I was on Neurontin for the pain for about 10 years.

:salute: You're right, I'm 56 and disabled...what still works is failing at a steady rate.  I was on Neurontin for a while with my neck/head injury....didn't tolerate it well. Will look into the B12. Already take a mountain of supplements daily...  :facepalm:
[/
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:02:17 AM by SteelRaven »

Les Stroud.

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #38 on: December 27, 2016, 11:04:05 AM
it was a couple of months ago but i was whittiling with my recently sharpened huntsman and it slipped into my thumb and it looked like someone dropped a bottle of red wine on the floor  :rofl:

i dont have any photos of the "fresh" wound but i still have a scar on my thumb (circled with minichamp) as its a bit faint.

and huntsman as evidence
Don't you hate those red wine spills?? :rofl:

Les Stroud.

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #39 on: December 30, 2016, 12:08:14 PM

and huntsman as evidence
Don't you hate those red wine spills?? :rofl:

the worse thing was that i must admit it was recently sharpened and went cleanly through wood and my thumb.  :oops:

i prefer "wine" to stay in the "bottle"

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #40 on: December 30, 2016, 01:23:20 PM
I knew it'd happen at least once again before the year's end. Had to be a Spyderbite of love, but still, with so many new toys and sharp stuff this December it had to happen.

Nothing major, luckily!   ;)

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline cody6268

Reply #41 on: December 31, 2016, 12:44:53 AM
Three or four pretty bad ones come to mind over the years.

First day I had my Fieldmaster at age 10, I was whittling a stick, and somehow, managed to cut the skin between my index finger and thumb.

And two pretty recent ones:

I was cutting rope with my LM ST300 about a year ago, and let my mind wander.  I ended up slicing into the skin of my left index finger, not the rope.  Got it pretty deep.

And about a month ago, I was cleaning my 50 year old Case folding hunter, removing grit that's been floating around the pivot and hard to get out.   While working on the kick area, I got my index finger good.   That wound is still healing. It was so deep, I had to bandage it for 3 weeks.

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 01:26:07 PM
Not technically with a MT but I was drawing the ESSE Candiru about a year ago and the little booger slipped out of my hand.
This is it today

Candiru is a good name for those lite buggers...boy...that got you pretty good! I haven't been stung by my Izula, yet...and I'm in no hurry to be either. Amazing those little blades come in so handy, and do a surprising amount of work vs size. Like the small pen blades on a SA...it's tiny...one slip...stitches or super glue...

Les Stroud.

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 01:28:58 PM
I knew it'd happen at least once again before the year's end. Had to be a Spyderbite of love, but still, with so many new toys and sharp stuff this December it had to happen.

Nothing major, luckily!   ;)

Had to say, that's one nasty blade profile to be cut with...we humans have skin that is a bit softer than rope! Those suckers bite deep. My pacific Salt is a real worker for its size.

Les Stroud.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: January 14, 2017, 05:38:37 PM
cut myself again since I last posted here... "new Spydie in the mail, new cut in the flesh" seems the rule   :facepalm:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #45 on: January 14, 2017, 05:43:15 PM
That's not the way to test a new knife...

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #46 on: January 21, 2017, 03:43:10 PM
A few excuses to BLEED...
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 252.87 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 190.54 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 215.57 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 195.95 KB)

Les Stroud.

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #47 on: January 21, 2017, 03:46:08 PM
A few more! I may die knife poor but at least I won't bleed to death!! LOL
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 186.22 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 233.76 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 200.15 KB)

Les Stroud.

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #48 on: January 22, 2017, 07:57:57 PM
I think this thread is proof that most of us aren't supposed to handle knives and they give a bad example to people out on forbidding knives!  :rofl:

Anyway, I'm not much better of an example.
I once turned a  demonstration in how to remove and reuse a ziptie into a demonstration of why not to pry with a non locking blade.

The large blade of my Handyman slapped on top of my middle finger, cutting the top and nail on half. It just might be the quickest way to get blood everywhere.

Took me about 6 months to grow my nail back.
It didn't leave a scar, if I look really carefully I can see a faint white line under my skin.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline cody6268

Reply #49 on: January 22, 2017, 09:42:36 PM
I think this thread is proof that most of us aren't supposed to handle knives and they give a bad example to people out on forbidding knives!  :rofl:

Anyway, I'm not much better of an example.
I once turned a  demonstration in how to remove and reuse a ziptie into a demonstration of why not to pry with a non locking blade.

The large blade of my Handyman slapped on top of my middle finger, cutting the top and nail on half. It just might be the quickest way to get blood everywhere.

Took me about 6 months to grow my nail back.
It didn't leave a scar, if I look really carefully I can see a faint white line under my skin.

One of the major safety things I preach to other is that a knife is NOT for prying, regardless of whether it locks or not.  It's a good way to destroy a knife and get hurt.  I use the scissors (or a serrated blade when that isn't available) to remove zip ties.  On an SAK, I only pry with the can opener (only on plastic items that snap together, like a TV remote) or bottle opener/big screwdriver (most light prying).  Heavy prying is only done with a pry bar--preferably a Stanley USA Wunder Bar--which at  7 inches long is small enough to fit in larger pockets, but tough enough to handle heavy prying and even being beaten on with a hammer. 

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #50 on: January 23, 2017, 12:29:38 AM
One of the major safety things I preach to other is that a knife is NOT for prying, regardless of whether it locks or not.

Well, I should've practice what I've preached that day. Because I added a small prybar to my EDC a long time ago. Usually I'd use the scissors for this purpose because of tbe finer tip.

However, in the heat of the moment I used my large blade which was open for prepping food.

So this learns two lessons:
- Never pry with your knife (it's unsafe and may damage the blade)
- Always keep your mind at the thing your working on.

I love the small prybars you mentioned by the way.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: March 17, 2017, 03:26:46 PM
A Spyderco Awesome Knife tasted my blood again today    :facepalm:

My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%