Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need a new light

de Offline Josh613

Need a new light
on: September 25, 2016, 12:36:17 PM
So I e decided I need a new light. Just not sure which one seems to be lots of offerings out there. I have two led maglites a denim eo something. Also a yhrunite t3 somewhere as well I believe

Don't want silly batteries so has to be aa or aaa going to be used mainly for work so don't want to spend more that 40 euros

de Offline Josh613

Re: Need a new light
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
Mods may as well just delete this   :whistle: ::)

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 01:22:28 PM
I think some more info would help a lot :)

- Single mode?
- Many modes?
- Flood or throw (or a bit of both)?
- Type of switch (twisty or clicky)?
- Mode memory or preferred sequence? (Low-Med-Hi, Med-Low-Hi)
- Disco modes?

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 01:23:33 PM
Welcome to the boards Josh.   :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 02:51:28 PM
Hey Josh.  You are right; there are a LOT of options out there.  While firiki asks some very relevant questions I think the first one I'd ask is how do you intend to carry it?  On a key-ring?  In your pocket?  In a bag or on your belt?  Also how often do you use your light?  Once or twice a week?  Five times an hour? 

For example; in my last job I used a lights many times a day and so I tended to use a large 1xAA or  2xAA with a tail switch for easy one handed operation. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

de Offline Josh613

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 03:01:16 PM
I use it at work at least 4-5 times a day, outside of work a Fenix 105 does the trick. Single cell would be cool. not too bothered about modes, don't need strobe mmode on it though. Prefer a click tail switch. Carry it either in my pocket or maybe a sheath but in my pocket should be fine because I wear Snickers work trousers most of the day. Preferably a AA or AAA don't want hard to find batteries

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 04:38:00 PM
Not an avid flashlight user here, but with that much use I would go for a rechargeable. And here my money is on the new Olight S2R.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 04:47:18 PM
I am on much the same hunt as you and I have a thread very similar I am gonna probably end up with several lights now :facepalm: So many choices once you get to looking :ahhh Hope you find what you are looking for :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 05:01:00 PM
How about the Thrunite Archer 1A V3?  I don't have this particular Thrunite myself, but I've not had any problems with any their products.  Seems to fit your needs and should be easy to find for sale in Europe within your budget.  Not the most compact light on the market, but if you are using it a lot then I prefer something that's a bit bigger as it fills your hand better.  It can also be had with a Neutral White LED which I'd always recommend if it's an option.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 05:06:33 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 10:44:59 AM
Not an avid flashlight user here, but with that much use I would go for a rechargeable. And here my money is on the new Olight S2R.

+1 on rechargeable cells if the light is going to be used frequently but personally I'm not sold on r-lights. I see the built-in charging systems as a extra point of possible failure, be it from water entering through the USB port or the charger/cell inside failing for some reason. This is why I'd opt for a good charger and a set of good batteries; costly at first but an investment on the long run. I admit I have zero experience with rechargeable flashlights.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 11:19:42 AM
For a work/inspection light I am pretty fond of the Fenix E12 (1 x AA). Good colour rendition, it doesn't have a hotspot which makes it very easy on the eyes. Slim and lightweight it disappears in the pocket and can be held with the mouth if needed. Also able to tailstand.

Cons: Not the most useful if you need to move around with the light it provides. Doesn't come with a pocket clip or sheath. Plastic lens may get scratched eventually (though I doubt it will affect the beam much).

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 11:38:10 AM

+1 on rechargeable cells if the light is going to be used frequently but personally I'm not sold on r-lights. I see the built-in charging systems as a extra point of possible failure, be it from water entering through the USB port or the charger/cell inside failing for some reason. This is why I'd opt for a good charger and a set of good batteries; costly at first but an investment on the long run. I admit I have zero experience with rechargeable flashlights.
I'm not disagreeing with you and it is certainly a valid point depending on your work environment.

Flashlight with built in Charger  VS water
First off, Olights have an induction charger, so no additional port. Second, I have several small lights with USB charging port (bike-lights but I also put them on my backpacks) never had a problem with them even when using in rain. So, I would rate that risk as small.

Convenience
Ok, opening a USB port and plugging it in is not that much less work, than replacing the batteries. However, the induction charger of the Olights, simply means that you put it on the small charging hub (it snaps there with a magnet). That is super convenient, just place it on the dock over night and it is always full.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:39:29 AM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 11:24:27 AM

I'm not disagreeing with you and it is certainly a valid point depending on your work environment.

Flashlight with built in Charger  VS water
First off, Olights have an induction charger, so no additional port. Second, I have several small lights with USB charging port (bike-lights but I also put them on my backpacks) never had a problem with them even when using in rain. So, I would rate that risk as small.

Convenience
Ok, opening a USB port and plugging it in is not that much less work, than replacing the batteries. However, the induction charger of the Olights, simply means that you put it on the small charging hub (it snaps there with a magnet). That is super convenient, just place it on the dock over night and it is always full.

Good info :tu: I'd definitely choose an external hub over USB ports, convenient though the latter may be. Both can break down but the USB covers potentially coming off makes me go --->  :ahhh The hub might be easier to replace, too.

One thing I like about and look for in flashlights is (that certain level of) autonomy. I have to wonder how many r-lights will work with disposable cells. I really haven't searched that answer.

@Josh613, How many lumens is high and low enough for your needs?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD