Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fingernail Rescue...

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Fingernail Rescue...
on: September 27, 2016, 02:46:10 PM
So for years, the only knives I've used on a regular basis with "nail Knicks" have been the size of a BUCK 110.

I've been looking for the old school knife picks, or something like the factory workers at VIC use to preserve their fingernails.

Since I am NOT A PANSY, I prefer not to use a nail hardening solution and grow Vampire Claws, but hey...

Sheet brass would avoid marring blade features.

I understand these things are quite collectible in some circles as well...
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: Fingernail Rescue...
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 11:56:27 PM
So for years, the only knives I've used on a regular basis with "nail Knicks" have been the size of a BUCK 110.

I've been looking for the old school knife picks, or something like the factory workers at VIC use to preserve their fingernails.

Since I am NOT A PANSY, I prefer not to use a nail hardening solution and grow Vampire Claws, but hey...

Sheet brass would avoid marring blade features.

I understand these things are quite collectible in some circles as well...

I've been considering this since my latest knife is a nail-breaker. I saw someone here had a coin on a lanyard/keyring for this purpose. Danish/Chinese/Hong Kong coins are all available with holes already.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 02:48:00 AM
I know AG Russell had knife picks made for a while that were relatively inexpensive, I seem to recall them being around $6?

Or, if you're looking for something a bit more classic, I know of someone who might have some new, old stock Remington knife picks that used to be carried by SMKW a couple years ago.  I don't think they were badly priced.

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 03:59:15 AM
I know AG Russell had knife picks made for a while that were relatively inexpensive, I seem to recall them being around $6?

Or, if you're looking for something a bit more classic, I know of someone who might have some new, old stock Remington knife picks that used to be carried by SMKW a couple years ago.  I don't think they were badly priced.

Either one is ok. I remember the Remington picks, saw them at the store and thought...why would you ever??...well now I know.

Just cleaning and lubing my SwissChamp the other day was harder on my nails than used to be when I bought it years back, not exactly sure why.

Stack a few more classic designs in there and it'll get aggravating.

Les Stroud.

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 04:50:30 PM
My wife found one about an hour ago I forgot we had!

It's a PUMA!

Kinda cool little gadget actually...I'm still thinking a brass one of the same thickness and a bit larger would serve my purposes. That will be easier to make, about the size of a carbide sharpener that is so popular in the fire and survival threads.

Could come in handy other ways!!
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 247.31 KB)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:54:44 PM by SteelRaven »

Les Stroud.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31