Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looky what I brought home. :)

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Looky what I brought home. :)
on: September 29, 2016, 09:13:28 AM
  Ordered wider handlebars, so in limbo till those arrive on Saturday.  :D

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: Looky what I brought home. :)
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 09:30:56 AM
I was expecting to see a puppy (or, purrferably, a kitten) :D

That doesn't look like a bicycle. What do you call those?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:54:22 AM
I was thinking of that other thread you posted, about trying to find a partner.....

So, the outback reference is for the car.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 10:01:57 AM

Well... I guess you could call it a dog, as it's model name is a Rover
¬ Outback in Idaho

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 11:02:20 AM

Well... I guess you could call it a dog, as it's model name is a Rover(Image removed from quote.)

:D

Dunno, I hate to be negative; this trike seems comfortable but I can see some drawbacks. One of them is pretty literal, when trying to move upwards a slope, one's weight will be pulling the whole thing back, won't it?

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 11:50:22 AM
a recumbent bike!
I

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 01:35:57 PM
Very nice!

I would love to get a recumbent trike but I haven't seen one in a reasonable price range around here!

That looks like a sweet machine!  I can't wait to hear how you get along with it after you put a few miles on it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 12:36:03 AM
For the love of the gods, just do me this one teensy, tiny, itty bitty favor:

USE THE FLAG!!!

I've only seen about a dozen of these damned things around here, and not a single one has the flag mounted. I've nearly hit every single one of that roughly dozen, to, as they do 15 MPH in the middle of the land on a 50 MPH road that twists and turns and hills! Or in the smurfing fog!

Stay out of the middle of the road. And obey the damn stop signs.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 03:40:11 AM
For the love of the gods, just do me this one teensy, tiny, itty bitty favor:

USE THE FLAG!!!

I've only seen about a dozen of these damned things around here, and not a single one has the flag mounted. I've nearly hit every single one of that roughly dozen, to, as they do 15 MPH in the middle of the land on a 50 MPH road that twists and turns and hills! Or in the smurfing fog!

Stay out of the middle of the road. And obey the damn stop signs.

I agree with the above. Stay safe!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 08:23:45 PM
  I had/have a flag. TerraTrike has there's to mount in the seat tube, which when one lays back the flag becomes more of a fishing pole. And that poses another problem around people, the flag is eye-poking height.

Then saw this one fella's flag setup and I so want that! :o :D  A very smart and effective flag versus the dumb looking orange one that doesn't wave worth beans.

These flags have reflective strips, and run about $60 each. Yikes! :o Mounts are extra.

Will have to add an updated photo. I've got day-light CREE LED lights (Bontrager Ion 800 R & Flair R) fore and aft, and two night-mode Cateye Reflex ones. Have two driveway markers in the seat tubes for now, which are shorter with reflective strips on the tip. Those two hold the PVC light-bar above the seat which I'm considering on raising up higher to see if they would work better.
  Need a drill press to drill holes dead center - grrr!

We've had nothing but gloomy clouds and rain for like 2 weeks, with occasional shirt-term sunlight. Will try to get an updated photo of my rig. Me pants have already loosened up since riding, and feeling muscles my body forgot about. :rofl:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 08:26:17 PM
  Wished TerraTrike's forum was more like this one. One gets spoiled over here, per forum abilities. :D

Already 7 pages long on my initial post! gathering massive loads of information and ideas. :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 08:31:13 PM
Looking good  :tu:.  Hope you get more seat time than you have.  Looks like a fun bike.
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 12:30:32 AM
  Wished TerraTrike's forum was more like this one. One gets spoiled over here, per forum abilities. :D

Already 7 pages long on my initial post! gathering massive loads of information and ideas. :D

High praise indeed!

I was wondering what you were up to, I guess I should have known!

Those flags look really cool!  Someone would really have to be trying to miss you with those above you!

Def

Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 07:48:10 AM
  The above photo isn't mine. Just showing off his flag setup that I want. What he's got there is about $188 worth of gear new in the two rear flags alone. $60 per flag & pole, $35 per mount. Accessories adds up.  :ahhh

Been riding mostly on Saturday morning, going to church. Have rode around here locally but it's a pain in the butt getting the Rover in and out of the trailer's door. Someone was messing with it out on the deck when i had a cheesy door up. Smurfing neighbors need to learn respect.
  Have most of the porch enclosure done but I want a heavier door, and it's either raining or I'm working. Two jobs, no days off.... /grr  I get a few hours at night to goof off. Have the heavy plywood in storage, though no pickup to get it with. Trying to coordinate with neighbors to give a guy a hand is another story.

I need to learn to take glamour shots on the camera. Wished has access to a video recording drone, then maybe I can get some decent selfies. :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:49:25 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 12:49:48 PM
You are also going to have to find a way to mount the GoSun to it- imagine pedalling for a few hours, then have lunch, pedal for a few hours then have supper!  :D

Seriously, you have a great looking rig there and I am glad you are at least getting sometime to make use of it.  I'd love to have something like that, I could probably save a lot of money on gas if I did, as I could manage a lot more errands on something like that versus a bicycle.  Of course, I might be far too paranoid to leave it outside while I went into a store!   :ahhh

And storage does sound like a pain in the butt.  Still, I can see how it would be well worth the effort.  If I was closer I'd absolutely give you a hand!

Def

Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 10:15:40 AM
  Not much of a glamour shot as I went to A&W for a burger.  :)

Went to the local park to do a light test. (Ignore the heavy breathing, I had just rode over wet, soggy grass.) Raised the light bar in the back too, I like it better up there.  8)
  And it was coooold outside. Well, upper 40's.

¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 01:08:34 PM
Those are absolutely bright!   :ahhh

Looks great, although I have to wonder how you power it all!  You could probably hit a good 5-10 miles per hour more if you cut back on some of the lights, and a few thousand batteries!  :D

Seriously though, I am super jealous of that trike.  It looks like a lot of fun on top of being really practical, although I do wonder if your pants are goig to tighten back up if you only use it for going to A&W and back!  :D

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 12:04:46 AM
Pretty sweet set up with all those lights.  Some guy was riding down a busy road with NO lights or Flags  :twak:.  Man what is he thinking?  There is no reason for any vehicle to no see you coming or going down the road.  Great job  :like: 
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 09:35:31 AM
Sweet wheels  :tu:

Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 09:12:20 AM
  Had gotten this Super Bright LEDs Blue Flair light and went for a total night ride. The light was good, but the only mount was a fairly strong magnet. But... the magnet came unglued or something and it could not hold the LED unit to the frame. Pathetic magnet. Strapped in on the top boom for this ride, but it was supposed to go underneath.
  Contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a shipping & priority postal label free of charge to send it back. Was an impressive light. Can see in this video:

It was 41° F outside, done rode 10 miles over a 1hr 30 min ride so was breathing a bit hard there. :P

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 09:14:50 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 09:32:47 AM
  We had like a week's worth of rain. Did some work for job #1, and decided to heck with this, it's sunny, so went for a ride. Misplaced a few things so got a later than anticipated start. Rode out to A&W again for a chipolte crunch burger, fries, and good ol' A&W root beer. Can honestly say I was tired when I got home, only did 7.4 miles, but half of that was in a headwind, the other half the landscape blocked most of the tailwind. My thighs were tight from riding.

The twin yellow whips were an experiment. Am going to cut these shorter and put a new light-bar across to cap the ends. Trying to find a single foam cushion to use as a neck rest. These are used on exercise equipment and are called "dog bone" shape. Found two on Amazon for $28, but I only need one. /grr
  So the whips will be shortened to my neck height, and a bar strung across to mount lights and a solar panel to, and the foam cushion will be in the center. Won't look as sexy as the Utah Trikes one they used to make (can't convince them to make another), but it should suffice.

This is my current setup

Here's a shot of a Utah Trikes Rover mod - that headrest is so beast, and useful too. Sadly they wouldn't even bite on helping a US Veteran out. Sad huh?

The TerraTrike headrest version doesn't look very comfortable... and it's $140 too.

Maybe I can trade them a slightly used Leatherman Tread for the headrest? :P
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 11:33:28 PM
  Latest update. Added a headrest & a lower rack behind the seat. A custom bag will go down in there, and am working on supports to allow me to carry a ukulele and/or didgeridoo underneath utilizing that rack. Contemplating on adding an under carriage lighting for those dark areas out in the countryside. :)

This is like two rack bags in one with a center piece.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:40:26 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 11:40:05 PM
  Back on June 3rd I strapped Rover on top of my hamster wagon and drove to Council, ID for a Weiser River Trail ride. Just over 3 hours total, as I needed to get back to go to work in the afternoon.

Think I made like 18 videos of the ride on a GoPro HERO Session, recharging once using a Suntactics 8 watt Solar Charger. Was rather impressed with the solar panel as at home the fastest charge I got was 4 hours on AC, and this solar panel had the HERO charged to 80% in a mere 20 minutes!
  If you do watch the 18 videos, hover mouse over the YouTube video to the gear icon, change the playback to 2.0 :) ~ If you want the 5 minute (or so) version, try:

Here was the overview map using CycleDroid

More photos on facebook since PB took a dump on us per 3rd party hosting.

http://idaho-trail-lizard.blogspot.com/2017/06/may-2017.html
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:03:56 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 03:25:29 AM
Very cool!

I am still looking for a good recumbent trike myself, but the hardest part is justifying the $$ they go for.  Even the cheap ones are pretty pricey!   :ahhh

Still, every time you post pics of what you've been doing on yours I am motivated all over again to start looking!

Def

Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 07:49:46 PM
  The Beast is slowly getting more geared up. Still looking for a light-weight 12V rechargeable power source - would be a boon if it also had a 5V USB connector on it too.

At a park

Undercarriage lighting idea. Need to do some soldering, wire management, and get a rechargeable 12V power source. Still using demo batteries.  :D

Night lighting

Debating fenders and a BB7 brake upgrade...
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 07:52:21 PM
Could you use 2 golf cart batteries?  Add in a solar trickle charger?  I could very well be wrong in my thinking on both accounts.  Trike looks great btw. 
Esse Quam Videri

Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 11:15:01 PM
  Those types of batteries are way too heavy with me in he cockpit. Weight is of major concern.

Looking for a decent Lithium or Metal Hydroxide type of battery that is lighter in weight and can be recharged easily. :D MANY Chinese/Taiwanese/Something-or-another-ese things on the market. Finding one that will perform, and not burn down the house if left in the charger is the thing.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 11:26:21 PM
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 12:11:01 AM
I can't help but think you need a more aerodynamic flag - like in the pic of someone else's trike earlier.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 12:57:28 AM
It may not fill your 12V needs but I use a NOCO Genius Boost as a portable power source an awful lot.  It's meant for boosting car batteries but I use it more as a huge power bank than anything else.

https://no.co/products/power/jumpstarters

The trike is looking awesome- every time you post an update I get more jealous as I would love to have something like that!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%