Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just whining about the date & two-position crowns

us Offline metasyntax

Just whining about the date & two-position crowns
on: September 30, 2016, 07:26:10 PM
I love my Timex Expedition Camper. It's cheap, light, easy to read, fits great, and keeps very good time. But it has one BIG FLAW.

It has a two-position crown. So tomorrow, when it says 31, I get to fast-forward through 24 hours to get the date right. Not a huge deal, but it's annoying. Especially since the watch keeps such good time that I don't need to set it every other month. Also: I dread February.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Just whining about the date & two-position crowns
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 06:49:58 AM
Oh we have a thread for times like this. --> http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45992.0.html

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 11:54:57 PM
When you say two position,do you mean closed and open so you can set the time? It doesn't have the position to set just the date? I have a couple of watches that are similar and I have found that on some of them you can somewhat fast forward the date by turning the crown past midnight to change it and then turn it back past 9 o'clock(or sometimes 8) and then go forward again and the date will advance.You usually can't do that if it is a day/date though.Some Seiko automatics you can advance the date by pressing in on the crown. I always have fun trying to figure out how to set a particular watch if I don't have an instruction manual.Can be a challenge at times.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 03:00:43 PM
Oh we have a thread for times like this. --> http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45992.0.html

Oh ho! Indeed. It wouldn't be too bad, but the issue is made worse by the fact that I insist on getting the second and minute hands to match up just right, so that at 30 seconds the minute hand is halfway between two minute marks. When you push the crown back in, the minute hand wobbles by a varying amount, making accurate positioning a matter of trial and error. Really it's my own fault for forsaking my atomic G-Shocks. That's another first world problem: needing to use a collander to make the signal reception better on your atomic watch so it will set itself in bad weather.

When you say two position,do you mean closed and open so you can set the time? It doesn't have the position to set just the date?

Right. Apparently that's a feature only found on the fanciest $40+ Timex watches. :rofl:

I have a couple of watches that are similar and I have found that on some of them you can somewhat fast forward the date by turning the crown past midnight to change it and then turn it back past 9 o'clock(or sometimes 8) and then go forward again and the date will advance.

Whoa. I'm going to have to try this next time. That would be sweet if it works! Thanks Ray!
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD