Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New PowerPlay after one week of work use

Padre · 22 · 3986

fi Offline Padre

New PowerPlay after one week of work use
on: September 30, 2016, 09:05:56 PM
I thought to bring you guys some info about the SOG PowerPlay, maybe someone is considering it for some odd reason like I did.
Anyways, I had it now two weeks, first week at home and hobbies, second some serious work.

I'm still on my honeymoon with this tool, so opinions might change, so this isn't an review.

So far I don't like it, it has one fantastic thing about it (that made me buy it in first place), but after use I'm sadly dissappointed.

The fantastic thing is the plier ergonomics. The smoothness of the opening and precise feeling. PowerPlay is smooth to sqeeze hard too, no hotspots, closes even smaller than Leatherman Wave even the tool is slightly larger. A+ I have to say. The tip could be sharper, and I will just do that, because there is room. You could make this tool a stubby nose too, but not extreme stubby. Satin finish shows snail trails. I also like the presentation, tool looks better than it is. The bits are real and take abuse as any. I also like the nylon sheath. Awl is good, I like awls and use them too. This could be a bit longer.

But the rest... well. Bad news. The locks are weak, not ergonomic to release. Just horrible. Blades has extra play. The knife is dangerous, the tools bring it open too. This thing has bit me twice already. Once the knife, once the saw blade. I'm still in the honeymoon, as I don't want to break this tool. The precise screwdriver feels like a toy. Maybe disassembling plastic toys it would handle, but why would anyone do something like that to begin with. My Leatherman Wave micro driver chips away once a week, after that I just resharpen it and finally replace when the shank get too short. This SOG has driver that WHEN it breaks, its useless, maybe you can make another awl from it after? Then again this tool has awl already. ALSO this driver is almost the same as the flat driver outside with the can opener, just with reach but fragile feeling.

And the worst... The plain edge blade, the most important thing after the (fantastic) pliers is unuseable for me. The Serrated blade spine digs into my hand so bad I cannot use the knife at all. Just try to sqeeze the blade and cut something sturdy, like thick cardboard... man it hurts! And I never whine about ergos, even PST was better to hold strong (and much stronger feeling overall) than PowerPlay. Also the knife was pretty dull when new, but took just little bit basic steel rod to get hair shaving. Steel is similar to Wave, sharpens maybe even easier? Dunno, close. Holds edge like 420HC. Depends what you cut. The saw cuts plastic, like those tubes that hold the wiring behind your telly. Wood... not really, lets be realistic, small sticks sure. It eats plywood maybe the same as older SOGs.
Using the serrated blade is a chore. I ended up using the main blade even when cutting safety belts (due work, not rescuing but installing), usually with my Wave I tend to use the serrated because it just saves the main blade and I usually just abuse the serrated to unuseable condition and then forget it.
File is good, just not as good as Waves, but I don't want to compare with the file as Wave is much more expensive and that diamond side is hard to beat. The flatside outside the tool is dangerous to get out. The nail nick is impossible to get into without first opening the serrated blade, and then you can potentially hurt yourself on it. Hasn't happened to me YET.

The bit driver... well it just comes to the reach for me. Without extender it barely replaces the OTHER tools in this MT, but when you need reach, hope that you have extender OR the long bits with you. Disassembling electronics for example wont work easy for you.
Hey! And try to make something about that centimeter side of the ruler btw!

Many tools feel cheap, like from cheap chinese MTs. The phillips is half size too small to be effective. The outside can opener flat is too close to the flat driver of the inside. These both tend to slip easier than on many MTs of the same price range, like Gerbers. Older SOG models were better for sure on this front.

Oh how much I like PowerPliers and PPP... and CrossCut. But this tool has to do more for me to like it.

Sorry about the rantyness, but I really tried to like this thing. I'll give it one week more, maybe two if the grinding of the serrated blade spine works out and the main blade use gets more ergonomic as they didn't round the corners at all. I hope its enough.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:15:42 PM by Padre »
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: New PowerPlay after one week of work use
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 09:52:07 PM
Not surprising, after playing with mine for 30 mins, the excitement wore off.
After than being a new tool in market, there is nothing exciting about the PowerPlay.
I returned it. 
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

fi Offline Padre

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:13:05 PM
After than being a new tool in market, there is nothing exciting about the PowerPlay.
I returned it.

Not surprised.
One more thing, the bit set with the adaptor had broken magnet out the box. It just attached to the bit I first used with it. Had to glue and press it in.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 12:26:57 AM
Thanks for the write up.   :cheers:   :cheers:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 07:14:03 AM
Unfortunately one of my biggest gripes with the Powerplay was the lock studs. They made using the tool unnecessarily  uncomfortable. I didn't have it long before I sold it. I did enjoy the smoothness. They really should get better locks and stronger more refined tools for the Powerlock. Unfortunate really. Good write up :tu:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

Offline mikekoz

Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 09:32:12 PM
I returned it.

Not surprised.
One more thing, the bit set with the adaptor had broken magnet out the box. It just attached to the bit I first used with it. Had to glue and press it in.

Are you talking about the hex socket adapter at the end of the bit set? I cannot even figure out how to use it on the tool!  :-\

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 10:19:20 PM
This is a pretty damning overview of this tool. Quality, function, safety and ergonomics issues, and a bit set that isn't compatible with the tool it's sold with. I think I was David Bowen who also couldn't figure out what the hell he was supposed to do with the bit set.

These guys really need to buck up their ideas or just get out of the game. It seems every time they decide to bring out something new, it's flawed in some unforgivable way. Do they just not care anymore?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 01:05:52 AM
This is a pretty damning overview of this tool. Quality, function, safety and ergonomics issues, and a bit set that isn't compatible with the tool it's sold with. I think I was David Bowen who also couldn't figure out what the hell he was supposed to do with the bit set.

These guys really need to buck up their ideas or just get out of the game. It seems every time they decide to bring out something new, it's flawed in some unforgivable way. Do they just not care anymore?
Yeah the socket adapter at the end doesn't serve any purpose for this tool. Seems like it's made for something else entirely. I however do like the Power Play, it's not in the league of my other premium SOG tools but it's a step above the likes the Power Duo. I Think SOG has stepped up in quality from their Chinese manufacturing but still not quite where it needs to be.

I find the drivers and implements are better quality than the Duo and I feel like SOG tried with this tool. If this tool was produced with the level of quality as OG tools this could have been a winner.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline mikekoz

Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 01:59:19 AM
   I like the design of the Powerplay better than other SOG tools, like the Powerlock.  I never warmed up to the covers over the tools. If it was up to me, I would have made it a bit longer, but I am just nitpicking. SOG was always my least favorite out of the big multitool / knife companies as far as design goes. I am also disappointed that they moved all of their manufacturing overseas a while back.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 11:09:22 PM
The jury is still out..... I just got one yesterday.

I like it so far except that the locks are thumb-breakers.
SAW

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 02:10:12 AM
That was what I thought too. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline sawman

Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 10:36:43 PM
A few more thoughts...

The good:

The pliers and wire-cutters work very well. As much as the wide handle splay bothers me, I love the action of the gears.

The blades are fair but made of very cheap steel.

The Phillips was a pleasant surprise - no issues there.

The awl appears adequate and is not unlike the classic one from the Powerlock series.

In case you were wondering - the bit holder is outstanding. It takes any 1/4" bit and the only thing it lacks is distance.

The sheath is molle compatible and appears to be of nice quality.

Now for the not so-good:

The file is just terrible and some of the teeth on the saw feel quite dull. I plan to test it on some wood out in the garage later.

The eye-glass screwdriver had about a 1mm burr on it which I had to use my Wave's diamind fille to remove.

As I mentioned before, those evil lock-tabs.... hiddeous thumb-breakers!

I see some potential here but definitely room for improvement.

That said, I do like this significantly better than the Powerlock.
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 01:20:33 AM
I'm the other way on this.  I like the PowerLock better, but that's not a shot at the Powerplay,  I just really like the PowerLock!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline sawman

Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 01:28:56 AM
I'm the other way on this.  I like the PowerLock better, but that's not a shot at the Powerplay,  I just really like the PowerLock!

Def
I would like it better if they made available some more Phillips options and something to replace that 1/4" socket adapter. Also better blade options that are not chisel ground. :D

SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 01:33:02 AM
I think I have a couple of blades somewhere that look like they were ground but dragging them on the asphalt at 55mph if you'd prefer one of those? :P

Def

us Offline sawman

Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 01:46:33 AM
That reminds me of one of my first scouting knives... I put that thing through hell!
SAW

it Offline balvenie

Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 08:51:08 AM
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

fi Offline Padre

Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 12:48:52 PM
So he broke the pliers... happened to me also with my original Wave. Too heavy duty work for these kind of tools.
Leatherman:
SOG:
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 01:31:59 PM
I got almost two whole minutes into that before the excessive wind noise made me turn it off.

Also, in what universe is SOG's Compound Leverage considered "standard multitool pliers?"  If you can't even get that much right, what good are the other 18 minutes of review going to be?

Sorry Beardsley McBearderson of Beardface Bushcraft, I have no interest in your opinions.   :facepalm:

Def

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 04:24:42 PM
I didn't make it through the whole vid as the pace was a little slow, but I did like the fact this was an "honest user" perspective from your average bloke who is just bothered about whether or not the tool can do what he needs I to. As it happened, the tool couldn't do what he needed, though he was asking a fair bit from it at the time.

I got bored after he lit the feathered stick, so I don't know if the vid had anything worth knowing or seeing thereafter

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

it Offline balvenie

Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 08:32:46 AM
So he broke the pliers... happened to me also with my original Wave. Too heavy duty work for these kind of tools.

How did you do that with the LM wave? In my opinion it shouldn't happend if you use only your arms/hands Force......
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

fi Offline Padre

Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 09:21:28 AM

How did you do that with the LM wave? In my opinion it shouldn't happend if you use only your arms/hands Force......

I was cutting a spring steel, it was pretty thin, but the other side of the pliers just snapped loose. I dont know if my tool was weaker than usual or not. I have been more careful with my other two Waves since.
Leatherman:
SOG:
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!