Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Butterfly 8-18mm 5/16-3/4" wrench/ratchet combo

us Offline carinson43

Butterfly 8-18mm 5/16-3/4" wrench/ratchet combo
on: October 02, 2016, 11:13:47 PM
Okay I know the projects I've put on here haven't really been this forums cup of tea so to speak. I get it I swear! What you guys like are real tools. And so do I.

That said..something I've always wanted, which may be impossible to make, is basically a full socket set with wrenches that I can bring with me when I go on long Jeep trips.

Something I can properly remove a belt tensioner with to replace a serpentine belt. Or do other automotive things that you would normally need a bunch of sockets, 3/8" ratchet, or open end wrenches to do.

That would really be useful, and save alot of space if it were leatherman size. I would really like to have something I could toss in the glove compartment that I'd know I could replace a 3/8" socket set and also a range of open end wrenches with for emergency automotive work.

I realize this is a tall order. But has anyone done this? Or would it at least be uncharted territory and worth exploring?

I certainly have all the machining and CAD/CAM infrastructure needed to give this a shot. But I dont know what might already be out there because I'm not that familiar with the multi-tool world.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Butterfly 8-18mm 5/16-3/4" wrench/ratchet combo
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 01:59:17 AM
There have been a few automotive type tools on the market, most notably the Victorinox Auto Tool which included a digital tire gauge, ice scraper and flashlight.

It was a huge flop.

The real issue with an automotive tool I think is the number of differentTorx heads you would need. I have a nice socket set of Torx heads, from the teens into the 50's, and it's in a nice compact carrying case, but I don't always have a ratchet.

Other times the screws are very lengthy or in awkward places to get a screwdriver or wrench, so anything with a ratchet would be a great addition.

One other thing.... please..... if you make it a plier tool, make it a blunt nose.

I once tried to tighten the connectors on the starter of my old TJ in the field and the half needle, half blunt found on the Fuse was long enough to reach from one connector to the other, which meant I got shocked numerous times.

I hate the half blunt half needle plier head.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline carinson43

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 02:14:18 AM
There have been a few automotive type tools on the market, most notably the Victorinox Auto Tool which included a digital tire gauge, ice scraper and flashlight.

It was a huge flop.

The real issue with an automotive tool I think is the number of differentTorx heads you would need. I have a nice socket set of Torx heads, from the teens into the 50's, and it's in a nice compact carrying case, but I don't always have a ratchet.

Other times the screws are very lengthy or in awkward places to get a screwdriver or wrench, so anything with a ratchet would be a great addition.

One other thing.... please..... if you make it a plier tool, make it a blunt nose.

I once tried to tighten the connectors on the starter of my old TJ in the field and the half needle, half blunt found on the Fuse was long enough to reach from one connector to the other, which meant I got shocked numerous times.

Def

I'm thinking "automotive" only because thats what inspired me, but really it would be a generic tool that would essentially replace a socket set, ratchet, and open ended combo wrench set.

The open-ended wrench could be accomplished with a standard adjustable crescent style.

The socket-set/ratchet would require a novel design but I have some ideas. Basically something that forms an adjustable 6 point socket, and also ratchets.

I'm surprised this hasn't been done, but so far I can't find one. Its got to have been done..

That would be the meat of the design. The rest could be standard multi tool stuff like screwdrivers, magnetic telescoping grabber, knife, pliers, etc..

us Offline carinson43

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 02:16:06 AM

It was a huge flop.

Def

I'm thinking "automotive" only because thats what inspired me, but really it would be a generic tool that would essentially replace a socket set, ratchet, and open ended combo wrench set.

The open-ended wrench could be accomplished with a standard adjustable crescent style.

The socket-set/ratchet would require a novel design but I have some ideas. Basically something that forms an adjustable 6 point socket, and also ratchets.

I'm surprised this hasn't been done, but so far I can't find one. Its got to have been done..

That would be the meat of the design. The rest could be standard multi tool stuff like screwdrivers, magnetic telescoping grabber, knife, pliers, etc..

of course since you can get a reasonable quality socket set with ratchet and open ended combo set for practically nothing at harbor freight, the idea here is that its packed into a very small leatherman sort of tool..can bring it everywhere with you easily

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 03:46:57 AM
The only thing that springs to mind is the Loggerhead ImmiX-10

http://www.multitool.org/loggerhead-immix-10

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline carinson43

Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 03:59:34 AM
The only thing that springs to mind is the Loggerhead ImmiX-10

http://www.multitool.org/loggerhead-immix-10

thats an interesting one.

some things I'd like to change/add:

-similar mechanism to adapt to multiple size bolts, but with ratcheting function (major change)..think a combo wrench that ratchets, but it adapts to head sizes like that tool
-open ended adjustable wrench as well
-form more like standard wrenches..long and skinny up to where the ratchet mechanism is..so that it will fit where a normal ratchet/socket or open wrench would fit

Maybe I should really get to work on this?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:05:22 AM by carinson43 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD