Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What tools would I need to get into SAK modding?

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
What tools would I need to get into SAK modding?
on: October 07, 2016, 09:32:14 PM
I am at a point where I have enough SAKs laying around that I could sacrifice a couple to mod the others. I have never opened up a SAK before and I am not sure where to start. What tools would I need to remove the pins, and then replace them when I am done? Are there any good guides written up on line that you can point me to? The first mod I would like to do is adding scissors to a cadet. Would the scissors from a Delemont 85mm such as the Evo 16 fit in them, or would I need to source the scissors from some old discontinued Vic?

Thanks!  :climber:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: What tools would I need to get into SAK modding?
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 10:22:52 PM

Tools,
A 2 or 4oz ball pein hammer would be a good start and a Dremel would be useful
(a metal file and small hacksaw if you don't have a Dremel)

A big hammer can be used as an anvil for 'peening'  :tu:

Others will be along soon with a list  :D

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 10:25:18 PM
Might be best to start with a Cellidor mod and work up to Alox - they are much harder to peen as the rivets are on show. Have a look at the following link for lots of SAK modding guides:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43303.0.html

I've completed 4 mods so far, 3 Cellidor and 1 Alox and the only tools I have are a cordless drill and a small hammer and some metal files, so you don't need much, but I know others have pillar drills etc

Spend some time looking at the mod threads as they'll probably contain most of the info you need, but ask and you'll find the modding fraternity is extremely helpful and supportive.

Take lots of pics of your work as you'll want to show everyone once you've finished.  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 09:51:10 AM
Tools needed depend greatly on what you intend attempting and what level of hand skills do you have.
An example of this would be that some people can drill out pins with a cordless drill without harming bushings or alox scales. We mere mortals can get away with that sometimes but the cheapest big box hardware drill press will make all the difference.

Most of the tasks can be done with hand tools, even the above mentioned cordless drill could be replaced by an old "eggbeater" hand drill. In most cases power tools just make the job quicker and in some cases easier.

My bare minimums would be Cordless drill and bits; 2oz and 4oz pall-peen hammers; centre punch; pin punches; fine file; side cutters preferably flush cutting; a dolly/bucking bar/riveting block and a small bench vice, the clamp on type is plenty.

From there, the sky is the limit...

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 03:37:42 PM
I have a drill press but I still prefer drilling out the pins with a hand-held drill.  If the bit goes slightly off-centre at the start, you can tilt it to steer back on target.  Centre punching the pins before drilling is essential of course.

For punching the pins out after drilling I just use a nail.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 03:39:32 PM by shibafu »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 01:39:06 AM
Good thread for a newbie modder like me :like: I have yet to take the plunge but it is good to know I have the tools needed to complete a mod anyways :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%