Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Walther's Expensive 108mm SAK

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Walther's Expensive 108mm SAK
on: October 08, 2016, 10:10:15 PM
Wow! look at the price on this thing. It's a 108mm "Walther" Victorinox.

A few days ago I thought, hm, nice old SAK! Maybe I'll bid 20 euros, 25 tops...
Bidding is now at 155 euros and there's still a day to go.
Anyone know what they cost new? It's hard to believe a fairly basic SAK could be so valued. (And it's not even Damascus!)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/WALTHER-Victorinox-SWISS-Switzerland-Taschenmesser-Waffen-Hersteller-top-/152267611273?hash=item2373db5c89:g:-nsAAOSwpLNX9N3D

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: Walther's Expensive 108mm SAK
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 10:25:29 PM
Auction will probably end around € 600, just like the last two Walther SAK auctions I saw at eBay, about 8 months ago...
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 10:27:20 PM
Auction will probably end around € 600

Not my next EDC then...

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 10:32:19 PM
Saw a similar SAK on a national second hand site a few weeks ago, but with "Mauser" branding... It's gone now. Think the seller asked €50. Not sure though.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G388F met Tapatalk

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 10:35:24 PM
Saw a similar SAK on a national second hand site a few weeks ago, but with "Mauser" branding... It's gone now. Think the seller asked €50. Not sure though.

The Mauser is much more common, and €50 is quite normal for one :)

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 10:40:04 PM

And so, my knowledge keeps expanding...

Untill one day my brain explodes.

Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 10:42:48 PM

And so, my knowledge keeps expanding...

Untill one day my brain explodes.

That is what MTO does to ones brain  :rofl:

^-- where the cat sits

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 10:50:53 PM
Brain explodes, wallet implodes.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 10:54:20 PM
"Going out without a pocket knife is like leaving the house without shoes"

That's why you need Rosa Klebb's KGB flick-knife shoes...

Kind of inconvenient if you want to peel an apple, and available only in size 39...

Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 10:56:02 PM
"Going out without a pocket knife is like leaving the house without shoes"

That's why you need Rosa Klebb's KGB flick-knife shoes...

(Image removed from quote.)

Kind of inconvenient if you want to peel an apple, and available only in size 39...

:rofl:

Still my all time favorite bond movie :tu:

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 11:05:15 PM
And, as luck would have it, Bond's favourite handgun was a Walther PPK...

Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 11:13:34 PM
The stars are really aligned today!

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 12:02:25 AM
An assortment of firearms related SAKs.

IMG_5566.JPG
* IMG_5566.JPG (Filesize: 130.3 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 07:43:03 AM
Playing soccer in them is not an option either..

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 09:42:19 AM

Nice!

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 08:51:03 PM
It ended up going for 193 euros.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 09:20:00 PM
Well Glen expected 600 so I guess whoever got it, had quite the deal...?

Still nothing I can afford atm.
Barely able to get a new pouch/sheath :(

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 09:54:11 PM

Excellent!
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 10:03:17 PM
Thanks tp and cs.   :cheers:

Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 10:14:24 PM
Well Glen expected 600 so I guess whoever got it, had quite the deal...?

Still nothing I can afford atm.
Barely able to get a new pouch/sheath :(

In the beginning of the year two were sold at around 600 euro, (one for 600 and one for 620 if I remember correctly) and a month ago one with damaged scales was sold for 280 euro. So yes whoever bought it has made a great deal, and it looked in great shape  :cheers:

Maybe someone from here?

^-- where the cat sits

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 07:16:18 AM
I'd have nabbed it for 200 if I saw this. I have a friend who is only missing this 108...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Reply #21 on: October 11, 2016, 08:06:59 AM
I'd have nabbed it for 200 if I saw this. I have a friend who is only missing this 108...

I bid 192.07 myself. Should have bid more  :doh:
But the problem is, while 250 or even 300 was still a "good" price for the knife it still is a lot of money...

It's always a pity you can't see what the maximum bid was. It's sold for 193.07, maybe the buyers max was 200.. or maybe 250, 300 or maybe even more.

^-- where the cat sits

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 11, 2016, 08:14:37 AM

But the problem is, while 250 or even 300 was still a "good" price for the knife it still is a lot of money...

It's always a pity you can't see what the maximum bid was. It's sold for 193.07, maybe the buyers max was 200.. or maybe 250, 300 or maybe even more.

Lol... when I say I would have bought it.. I meant I'd have bought it for someone with his money... my most expensive SAK purchase ever was a 39 Euro (43 USD) SMS Farmer... and my most expensive knife overall was a Spyderco Delica Damascus Honey Jigged Bone for 160 Euros.

Note: I do have much more expensive and valuable knives around but got them in giveaways, as gifts or insane deals (25E each for a Tiffany silver Minichamp and a NIB Swissflame come to mind).
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Reply #23 on: October 11, 2016, 08:27:31 AM

Lol... when I say I would have bought it.. I meant I'd have bought it for someone with his money... my most expensive SAK purchase ever was a 39 Euro (43 USD) SMS Farmer... and my most expensive knife overall was a Spyderco Delica Damascus Honey Jigged Bone for 160 Euros.

Note: I do have much more expensive and valuable knives around but got them in giveaways, as gifts or insane deals (25E each for a Tiffany silver Minichamp and a NIB Swissflame come to mind).

If I did win, it would by far have been the most expensive knife I had. But one of the very few chances to add this to the 108mm collection. And also the certainty that if I needed the money again, I could sell it with a profit.

But this is all hypothetical, cuz I didn't win  ::)
By the way, i'm losing a lot of eBay auctions lately. Frustrating  :think:

^-- where the cat sits

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 09:33:17 AM

If I did win, it would by far have been the most expensive knife I had. But one of the very few chances to add this to the 108mm collection. And also the certainty that if I needed the money again, I could sell it with a profit.

"Myibidder Auction Sniper for eBay" phone app - never lost an auction using it...  :tu:

Reply #25 on: October 11, 2016, 09:56:45 AM

"Myibidder Auction Sniper for eBay" phone app - never lost an auction using it...  :tu:

The problem is not that I missed the auction, I simply don't bid enough i'm affraid. Don't think the Sniper app helps with that?

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: October 11, 2016, 11:06:34 AM
I've never used a 108mm before so out of curiosity I've just ordered one from Bonds of London.
I chose the Safari Hunter.
Including postage it was more than I probably should have paid for a SAK with a stupendously ugly saw on it which I will never use. But I'm curious to see how that main blade feels, vs a Pioneer, and I'll see if I can't find a use for that hunting blade. (I'm not a hunter.)
Interestingly, or not, I saw one of these red 108mms a few years ago and thought it was the ugliest SAK ever made. I swore I'd never purchase one... who knows, in a few months time maybe I'll be the silly billy bidding 600 bucks for a Walther...

Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 11:19:44 AM
I've never used a 108mm before so out of curiosity I've just ordered one from Bonds of London.
Including postage it was more than I probably should have paid for a SAK with a stupendously ugly saw on it which I will never use. But I'm curious to see how that main blade feels, vs a Pioneer, and I'll see if I can't find a use for that hunting blade. (I'm not a hunter.)
Interestingly, or not, I saw one of these red 108mms a few years ago and thought it was the ugliest SAK ever made. I swore I'd never purchase one... who knows, in a few months time maybe I'll be the silly billy bidding 600 bucks for a Walther...

Curious to read if you like your Safari Hunter, keep us informed! :tu:

^-- where the cat sits

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: October 11, 2016, 12:21:04 PM

+1 on all accounts.
Both the saw and the blade are beefier and stronger than the Farmer ones. Ugly knife, but really strong and well made.

The problem is not that I missed the auction, I simply don't bid enough i'm affraid. Don't think the Sniper app helps with that?

Well.. sort of... you don't bid, you don't drive price up. you think of a limit, add 1,1 Euros on it then you watch and wait...

It works like a charm when you have few bidders... the guy thinks: "this is such a deal I'm getting 20 USD for this... I could go up to 200 Euros but noone else is bidding so I'll stay on my 20... then you swoop in with 101,1 USD in the last second and he can't go any higher... even if he has a maxbid it would probably 100, so you'll still win).

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 11, 2016, 02:44:26 PM

+1 on all accounts.
Both the saw and the blade are beefier and stronger than the Farmer ones. Ugly knife, but really strong and well made.

Well.. sort of... you don't bid, you don't drive price up. you think of a limit, add 1,1 Euros on it then you watch and wait...

It works like a charm when you have few bidders... the guy thinks: "this is such a deal I'm getting 20 USD for this... I could go up to 200 Euros but noone else is bidding so I'll stay on my 20... then you swoop in with 101,1 USD in the last second and he can't go any higher... even if he has a maxbid it would probably 100, so you'll still win).

I will add some observations as Game Theory relates to sniping a Vickrey Auction (with price discovery) like ePray's in which the second highest bidder determines the closing sale price (2nd highest bid + one bid increment). It's in all buyers' interest to bid once, and only once, at the last possible moment, to prevent the price discovery feature from being of use to anyone. It's in the sellers' interest, and ePrey's as they take a percentage commission from the transaction, for bidders to submit bids as soon as they find something they would like, and to continuously check on it. eBay's strategy is the psychological effect of price discovery on active bidders, and the psychology of "winning." If you get outbid they send you an "You've been outbid!" email that's worded as if it's a catastrophe, urging you to immediately place another bid, lest it "get away." They even have cell phone apps to send you notices when someone else puts a bid in on an auction in which you've submitted a bid. I also get notices urging me to get a bid in on auctions I'm only watching. The mantra they're pushing is "bid early and bid often", and "bid like you mean it." I've seen bidders in auctions pull all sorts of stuff to try to discourage other bidders. One example is submitting a dozen bids in minimum increments to make it appear as if there's a large mob trying to win the auction. One look at the bid history shows what's going on. There's other silliness that goes on with bidders thinking they can somehow outwit everyone else bidding.

Active bidding by a number of bidders on an auction of this type only serves to drive the final closing price up. It's why I bid once on an auction, within seconds of it closing. I bid exactly what I'm willing to pay plus some weird fraction of a dollar, and no more than that, manually at some point during the last 20 seconds or less. Never used a sniping program or service and don't plan to.

About Sniping:
One pitfall in sniping an auction - and I've seen this happen - is the tempting strategy to submit an astronomically high bid to guarantee winning, thinking nobody else in their right mind would bid that high. The bidder doing that assumes they're the only one using that strategy and therefore it will be the only bid like that; the rest will be reasonably sane bids. All it takes is two bidders using that strategy, and the auction will close at an astronomically high price, entire orders of magnitude higher than it should. Some years ago I saw a relatively hard (but not impossible) to find metal lens hood for a pro grade SLR OEM lens close at about $5000; even $50 would have been high. One look at the bid history showed two snipers who tried the astronomical bid strategy. The guy who was #2 that put in the not quite as astronomical bid as the winner did was the lucky one. I've seen a few others that weren't quite as dramatic, but still closed for significantly more than they should have, including for new items that could be bought on Amazon or from NewEgg for less.

Some rambling thoughts on it all.

John

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24