Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The new MacGuyver needs some EDC help

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
The new MacGuyver needs some EDC help
on: October 09, 2016, 06:54:59 PM
Granted, the new MacGuyer carries a SAK. But that seems to be the only extra thing in his pocket. In fact in the last episode, there was a comment about how it was too bad he didn't have any duct tape. Why would you not carry a mini roll of duct tape if you were MacGyver.

So what else should MacGyver EDC?

And should he be carrying a Leatherman such as a Rebar or Wave instead of the SAK he has?

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The new MacGuyver needs some EDC help
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 07:00:56 PM
Didn't old Mac typically carry duct tape and matches?  I guess in today's time, he should also carry a small AAA flashlight, too.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 08:02:00 PM
Didn't old Mac typically carry duct tape and matches?  I guess in today's time, he should also carry a small AAA flashlight, too.

It seems like he did carry duct tape and matches.  Not sure if it was in every episode but seems like he always had them when needed!  :)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 09:31:49 PM
Granted, the new MacGuyer carries a SAK. But that seems to be the only extra thing in his pocket. In fact in the last episode, there was a comment about how it was too bad he didn't have any duct tape. Why would you not carry a mini roll of duct tape if you were MacGyver.

And should he be carrying a Leatherman such as a Rebar or Wave instead of the SAK he has?

Why should he carry a Leatherman? I mean why Leatherman specifically? This is MTO. We all know there are plenty of other tools out there that perform well, some of which that have tools and features that Leatherman don't have - we don't even need to consider the aspect of quality control.

Sorry for pouncing on this, but it irks me a little when LM is an "automatic" choice without any viable justification. In fairness I carried a Leatherman today myself, because it is a tool I modded specifically for days when I'm out on walkabout, but there's other tools which I own from other brands which would serve perfectly well too.

:salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 10:16:12 PM
AAA light
SAK
Multitool/Pliers based tool
IFAK
Bic lighter or similar
Duct tape
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 10:25:28 PM
I thought the whole appeal of MacGuyver was he would improvise from what was available?

I hope I haven't missed something here  :think:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 10:31:01 PM
I thought he only needed a paperclip ...  :think:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 02:19:38 AM
SAK
Some kind of pliers based tool
A bit of duct tape and a few paperclips in his wallet.
Bit of paracord in a bracelet or at least in his boots
Flashlight.

There is absolutely no excuse to not be properly dressed.

I'm guessing they made him a smirking hipster twit?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 06:31:47 AM

Why should he carry a Leatherman? I mean why Leatherman specifically? This is MTO. We all know there are plenty of other tools out there that perform well, some of which that have tools and features that Leatherman don't have - we don't even need to consider the aspect of quality control.

Sorry for pouncing on this, but it irks me a little when LM is an "automatic" choice without any viable justification. In fairness I carried a Leatherman today myself, because it is a tool I modded specifically for days when I'm out on walkabout, but there's other tools which I own from other brands which would serve perfectly well too.

I don't know how Leatherman is an automatic choice. I just asked what people thought. Besides, seems like the SAK might have been the automatic choice here ;)

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 06:44:23 AM
I thought the whole appeal of MacGuyver was he would improvise from what was available?

I hope I haven't missed something here  :think:

This is the best response in this thread so far. MacGyver uses his SAK and improvises everything else he needs based on what he finds around him. Plus, the SAK he uses has 3 layers and has a knife, bottle opener, scissors, wood saw, metal saw and pliers. If I had a magical SAK like that, I would carry it instead of a Leatherman too.
The right tool is the one you have on you

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 09:32:32 AM
A 3 layered SAK with Swisschamp tools? I wish life was mimicing TV.

Don't forget that in today's world he should always carry a couple of condoms too.

Also a credit card, mobile phone (that's an new one since old MacGuyver), a power bank, a selfie stick and some chewing gum or mints. And antibacterial wipes.

If he is a metrosexual (I don't know, I haven't seen the new series) then some daylight skin cream, sun screen, lipstick, deodorant, eau de cologne and make up. And a comb, if he still has those magnificent hairs after all these years (I don't, so I spare the comb).

Regarding firestarting, MacGuyver is perfectly capable of starting a fire with just two wooden sticks. As long as one of them is a match.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:35:04 AM by kkokkolis »

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 07:16:19 PM
I think a mini duct tape roll and a lighter would be a big plus for his EDC and wouldn't take up much room in the pocket. If he has a smartphone, he already has a mini flashlight. 

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 07:22:07 PM
This new Mac is so young, he doesn't need any tools or EDC.

Show content
When the need arises, he just uses his braces...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 02:01:58 PM
He's MacGuyver. The point is to adapt and improvise. In today's times anywhere he is at probably has some sort of tape. As long as he has a sak he's good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Offline Eyegor

Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 02:14:31 PM

Even though us toolaholics know better I think Leatherman has reached or come very close to surpassing a brand and becoming a generic term for any multi-tool. Like Xerox or Aspirin. Pretty sure nothing was meant by it.
As for the topic at hand. I think Mac needs to keep a SAK as his trademark. Maybe upgrade to alox. If they went to a pliers based tool, it would have to be a Swisstool IMHO.
T

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD