Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

dremel question

gr Offline mastoras

dremel question
on: October 22, 2020, 04:23:22 PM
Hello again mates. I got one question. I am thinking to buy a dremel lately because i have some brass containers i want to erase letters from and i also want to modify a sawback knife from a 4 to 6mm thick saw. My question is how good is the dremel brand like a tool and if it is safe to buy maybe a stayer or something else. And of course if the 35000rpm are enough to cut 6mm stainless steel or maybe 3mm thick brass. Sorry again for your time , just consider that being a member for a little time here i learn really a lot of stuff. Thanks and have a nice day mates

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: dremel question
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 04:34:49 PM
Dremel is a good brand and have a few different models to choose from. I have a basic corded model that was my dads and is over twenty years old and still working. I can't comment on the other brand you mentioned as they are not available in the States.

gr Offline mastoras

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 04:40:34 PM
Thanks Steve. Always helpful thanks a lot. Can the dremel 3000 cut like 3mm brass? or its better to choose the 4000 dremel?

us Offline dadwithkids

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 05:51:07 PM
Either will cut brass with the cutoff wheel. Might I suggest that you look for one of the battery-powered Dremels? The instant torque and better speed control are really nice when working with small parts. Granted, the battery means it won't last as long as the corded versions, but I've found that they operate smoother than the corded versions.

gr Offline mastoras

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 07:08:39 PM
Thanks a lot for the advise. As i check dremel 4000 works from 5000 to 35000rpm its maybe my way to go , also nice aftermarket accessories. On the other hand i found a 200 watt dremel type tool with 150 attachments for 50 euros. I am not sure i will see till monday and then buy. Big thanks to all for the help you are my personal craftsman heroes   :climber:

fr Offline Michel M.

• Custom SAK & Opinel
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 10:38:26 AM
The 4000 is more powerful (175 W instead of 125 W) and reliable. To improve the lifetime of the tool you can reduce the speed to about 25000 rpm. The 3000 is more for smalll projects. it has recurrent problems of stator and switch (speed variator).
Michel

gr Offline mastoras

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 01:40:53 PM
Thanks a lot Michel. Well i found this on the internet it could be a fair purchase. It is a mannesmann multidrill. I am not really sure but i heard from people here that dremel is indeed having problems with adjustment and switch.Thanks again mate  :cheers:

gr Offline mastoras

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 01:46:19 PM
And then something like this. I am more worried if the mannesmann tool can adapt all the attachments. Its maybe the only way i would choose the dremel brand but again i am really a starter to this. Thanks for letting me being more than a starter with your advises.  :drink:

fr Offline Michel M.

• Custom SAK & Opinel
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 02:43:17 PM
Usually Dremel-like tools have good motors but poor quality ball bearings and flexible shaft. For the multi chuck it's a different attachement : M8x0.75 mm (instead of M7x0.75 mm for Dremel tools). You can find M8 Goodell chucks for these tools.
Michel

gr Offline mastoras

Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 05:00:20 PM
Thanks again Michel. You"ve been really helpful.  I guess i will decide monday morning. I have a lot of polishing and want to try wenger tools to victorinox frame.  Viva le Saint Emilion wine. Cheers

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%