Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which AAA Batteries?

Kev D · 35 · 1674

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Re: Which AAA Batteries?
Reply #30 on: November 07, 2016, 05:33:36 PM
Pablo Obrien wrote:

Even if you abuse them(not recommended, as you will have to bin them), they will not leak/self-destruct. At worst, apparently they can let out some hydrogen which will not harm your light...

Amici,
If one wants to play with Hydrogen leaking, I suggest seek out a Hindenburg passenger and get their opinion on the subject!..  :oops:

Cheers,
Serge
OOPS!!.jpg
* OOPS!!.jpg (Filesize: 116.09 KB)
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: November 07, 2016, 06:22:48 PM
Amici,
I was lucky to meet an individual who as a hobby repairs all types of flashlights when I was searching for someone to repair a classic 1970's all steel Ranger flashlight that was having ignition problems. Anyhoo's when we discussed batteries, he recommended to stay away from rechargeable batteries as a whole, since some of the reasons being were that they don't hold a charge long, degrade quicker, and are prone to leaking.

It's really a shame that someone so knowledgeable on the subject of flashlights has no idea what he's talking about on the subject of rechargeable batteries.  Rechargeable batteries have different characteristics based upon their chemistry, but no modern rechargeable batteries (NiMH, LiPO, LiMN, etc.) have those characteristics.
- Terry

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #32 on: November 07, 2016, 07:21:19 PM
Pablo Obrien wrote:

Even if you abuse them(not recommended, as you will have to bin them), they will not leak/self-destruct. At worst, apparently they can let out some hydrogen which will not harm your light...

Amici,
If one wants to play with Hydrogen leaking, I suggest seek out a Hindenburg passenger and get their opinion on the subject!..  :oops:

Cheers,
Serge
Notice the fireball at the back? That is most of the hydrogen burning relatively harmlessly in the air above.

Besides, the actual quantity of gas that an eneloop could release is very small,  and would harmlessly be diluted in the surrounding air easily.
In fact, I don't think an eneloop has ever exploded due to this, but you are welcome to correct me if you have a reference.

Eneloops are safer than rechargeable lithium batteries(samsung note anyone?  :facepalm: ),  and they will not leave a mess like alkaline batteries,  and perform better than alkaline batteries.
In fact, go look up eneloop testing and such at candlepowerforums, the MT.O counterpart for flashlight and battery enthusiasts,  they do good testing.   :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: November 07, 2016, 08:48:01 PM
With that said, Li-Ion batteries are also safe when handled, used and recharged with a modicum of responsibility.  Lithium manganese oxide (LiMN or "IMR") cells are particularly safe even without the protection circuit that you typically find on other Li-Ion formulas (such as LiPO).

But finding a NiMH, especially an Eneloop that has vented, leaked, not had an outstanding shelf life, or has otherwise proved unsafe... now that would be a challenge.  If you have an issue with an Eneloop, I would at first instinct blame it on a poorly designed charger.
- Terry

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #34 on: November 07, 2016, 09:38:18 PM
+1!

9/10 times, a bad eneloop will be caused by the charger. The 10th time... Its the electronic device your using it in.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44