Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poncho's Attempt at the Trad Folder Badge

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Poncho's Attempt at the Trad Folder Badge
Reply #60 on: October 19, 2016, 05:43:12 AM
What a terrific thread.  I love that you have such treasures from dad and granddad.  Just having them in your pocket must be quite special.   Knives with lives, is something we can all appreciate.  Its the dings and worn blades that make those knives so special.  The owners cherished yet used them in the way they are supposed to be used. 

Again, what a terrific thread  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #61 on: October 19, 2016, 05:49:16 AM
 :like:

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #62 on: October 19, 2016, 04:45:22 PM
New page banana man dance

:nanadance:        :nanadance:

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: October 19, 2016, 04:52:30 PM
Day 10 I have today with me a 4 blade congress Hen and Rooster with me :cheers: This is one of those that I bought back before I was married and never really carried :whistle: :D I have always loved the Congress pattern and that was the main reason I added this knife to my collection :cheers: I also took a close up of the blade and hope that the Hen and Rooster logo shows up after me uploading the image and also a closeup of the emblem, the logo is on the tang of every blade of everyone of these knives that I own :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #64 on: October 19, 2016, 06:38:51 PM
You have some really beautiful knives Ponch!!! :like:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: October 19, 2016, 07:32:38 PM
You have some really beautiful knives Ponch!!! :like:

Thanks SG :cheers:

I have seen some of yours and you have some just as nice if not nicer though :o :like:

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #66 on: October 20, 2016, 12:20:17 AM
the congress is a pattern I haven't tried yet but I sure like yours. :tu:

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #67 on: October 20, 2016, 01:08:50 AM
the congress is a pattern I haven't tried yet but I sure like yours. :tu:

Tis a great pattern indeed :cheers: Lots of the time you will only get one sheepsfoot whereas this one has both of the large blades the same :cheers: Usually it is a drop point with the sheepsfoot and the two smaller blades are a number of different type of blades as well :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #68 on: October 20, 2016, 01:17:24 AM
Another nice one Poncho   :like: 

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #69 on: October 20, 2016, 03:56:37 AM
Another nice one Poncho   :like:

Thanks buddy :hatsoff:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #70 on: October 20, 2016, 04:06:06 AM
Well, I've been missing out!  Looks like I've got a couple of pages to read through tomorrow.

:cheers:
- Terry

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Reply #71 on: October 20, 2016, 10:57:54 AM
Da Ponchman Rollin out dem H&Rs...cool stuff!

There was a big old HNR spear point fixed blade years ago...no I can't remember it's name. Always wondered if one could still even be found.

It wasn't the usual fodder...I hate being old enough to remember something and too old to remember its dang name :rofl:
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: October 20, 2016, 06:42:30 PM
Da Ponchman Rollin out dem H&Rs...cool stuff!

There was a big old HNR spear point fixed blade years ago...no I can't remember it's name. Always wondered if one could still even be found.

It wasn't the usual fodder...I hate being old enough to remember something and too old to remember its dang name :rofl:

They still have quite a few fixed blades but I only have a couple of them :cheers:

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #73 on: October 20, 2016, 06:43:05 PM
Well, I've been missing out!  Looks like I've got a couple of pages to read through tomorrow.

:like: :like: :like:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #74 on: October 20, 2016, 06:45:16 PM
Read through it all this morning, and I've got to say how great it is that you have so many knives that have a story behind them.  A knife with history beats a knife with "bling" any day.  I wish I had more of them that told a story.

- Terry

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: October 20, 2016, 07:19:21 PM
Day 11 Well I got this knife from my dad several years ago when he gave me several of his old knives :dd: I didn't know much about it but that it had no handle scales and was sharpened quite a bit :facepalm: So as I carries it today I asked my dad where he got it and it turns out his grandfather's  (same one that owned the Craftsman knife I carried a few days ago :cheers: ) I had fixed this knife up a few years ago sharpened it good put wooden scales on it from wood that I saved from a addition/renovation job several years back :tu: Now with knowing that it was passed down a few generations it is even more special :like: It is a 2 blade Case XX that originally had bone handles according to the number but they were long gone by the time I got it :ahhh Now it has a bit more of a story with my handles on it :cheers:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #76 on: October 20, 2016, 07:36:39 PM
Good 'ol Copperhead #49!!  That's in my top 5 favorite Case patterns.  That one you have there is way more special than the one I have though.  :cheers:

It's from the 40's-60's unless it has dots under "USA".  "6" doesn't necessarily mean bone, but as old as this one is, it is likely that's what the handles were.

Thanks for sharing!  :tu:

EDIT:  This is the one some collectors call the "Vietnam" knife, as they were prolific (but not issued) with GIs during the war.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:38:52 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: October 20, 2016, 08:02:43 PM
Good 'ol Copperhead #49!!  That's in my top 5 favorite Case patterns.  That one you have there is way more special than the one I have though.  :cheers:

It's from the 40's-60's unless it has dots under "USA".  "6" doesn't necessarily mean bone, but as old as this one is, it is likely that's what the handles were.

EDIT:  This is the one some collectors call the "Vietnam" knife, as they were prolific (but not issued) with GIs during the war.

Reason I say bone is my dad has one in near mint condition that is the same period and has the same numbers as this one :D

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #78 on: October 20, 2016, 08:03:46 PM
Did not know that about them being called a Vietnam knife though :cheers: Something else I know about this type of knife now :tu:

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: October 20, 2016, 08:11:23 PM
The wood also came from Oak Ridge High School and if you know anything about that area that is cool in itself :D

Oak Ridge was called the Secret City before it became Oak Ridge, during WWII it is where the casing and possibly the warhead was built that ended WWII :o My Great great uncle (My Pa's uncle) was one of the welders that welded on the A-bomb casing and the High School was set up for the scientist's of the Manhatten Project's children  :cheers: This High School was also the first school in the USA to integrate and was photogrraphed by Life Magazine :tu: Back in 2006 we started the addition and renovation of this school and I got a nice piece of lumber from it and part of that ended up being used for scales of thsi knife :cheers:

Link for what I am talking about via Wikipedia ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Ridge_High_School_(Oak_Ridge,_Tennessee)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: October 20, 2016, 08:26:19 PM
Cool knife and great story  :cheers:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #81 on: October 20, 2016, 09:15:38 PM

Reason I say bone is my dad has one in near mint condition that is the same period and has the same numbers as this one :D

Ah, OK.  If that's the case (Case), then it likely looked like this when it was new: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,6299.msg1068572.html#msg1068572
- Terry

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: October 20, 2016, 09:52:25 PM

Ah, OK.  If that's the case (Case), then it likely looked like this when it was new: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,6299.msg1068572.html#msg1068572

Yes that is the one :cheers: Quite a different path that this one has led to get to this look eh :D

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #83 on: October 20, 2016, 09:53:59 PM
I shot Case an email way back when and they graciously sent the emblem to me :cheers: Not period correct but it was better than the nothing I had to begin with :D

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #84 on: October 21, 2016, 01:59:37 AM
Enjoying your knives and their history.
 :popcorn:

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #85 on: October 21, 2016, 02:15:23 AM
Enjoying your knives and their history.
 :popcorn:

I am too :D I haven't really thought about some of these knives in some time now and thinking about what I am carrying has brought back several good memories :like:

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #86 on: October 21, 2016, 04:04:25 PM
Wow...Ponch that Case copperhead is a true piece of American history brother!

I thought the Vietnam knife was a Randall #1 or 14, or a Kbar etc. don't know why a knife that small and useful never crossed my thinking.

I mean why go to the trouble of resharpening  and honing your bayonet/combat blade if you've been opening boxes or whatever....

And if you take the time to get that combat blade razor sharp, especially limited tools, it's a waste of valuable time trying to keep it that way in the field....

Funny how the Swiss and Germans issue that sort of thing, but our guys have to grab it and growl.

This is a great thread dude!! :cheers:

Les Stroud.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #87 on: October 21, 2016, 04:45:27 PM
I thought the Vietnam knife was a Randall #1 or 14, or a Kbar etc.

Yes, that would be more accurate.  The label "Vietnam Knife" is just a term used by some collectors for the #49 since so many were bought in PXs at the time.  This is according to Case's website--I've never heard anyone call it that in person.

I don't know much about what was issued during the war, but I assumed that some folding knife was issued.  Is that not correct?
- Terry

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #88 on: October 21, 2016, 05:03:45 PM

Yes, that would be more accurate.  The label "Vietnam Knife" is just a term used by some collectors for the #49 since so many were bought in PXs at the time.  This is according to Case's website--I've never heard anyone call it that in person.

I don't know much about what was issued during the war, but I assumed that some folding knife was issued.  Is that not correct?
I might be way off here but back in the early 90s in NC you could go into a local milsurp and get hold of a "SA type" folder, Camper like thing that had a big **US ** stamped on the main blade.

I just remembered that. I'm not military or LEO, but a slew of my friends over the years have been.

Now I wish I'd've bought one of those. I don't want to hijack this but I have the same questions.

Les Stroud.

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #89 on: October 21, 2016, 07:33:23 PM

I might be way off here but back in the early 90s in NC you could go into a local milsurp and get hold of a "SA type" folder, Camper like thing that had a big **US ** stamped on the main blade.

I just remembered that. I'm not military or LEO, but a slew of my friends over the years have been.

Now I wish I'd've bought one of those. I don't want to hijack this but I have the same questions.

Hijack away as I am sure I would learn new things from it as well :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD