Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tool Roll?

de Offline Josh613

Tool Roll?
on: October 17, 2016, 05:36:33 PM
Does anyone use a tool roll? I'm currently replacing stolen tools that were in a cheap Obi tote box however I'm liking the idea of laying your gear out and seeing what you have, I have a set of wrenches on the way thats in a roll

Anyone recommend a tool roll? Has to be good quality,tough and will last a bit
Or any other suggestions for carting tools around?

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Tool Roll?
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 06:42:19 PM
If there are few enough tools, a kitchen towel or similar works fine. I'd like something more organized for professional use, obviously. But in this respect I'm a happy amateur.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 06:55:53 PM
I have another tool chest on the way. But I use a cheap plastic tote tray to get the tools I need to where I'm working. I'm also a happy amateur, but I'm also getting older and moving backwards and forwards between the project and the tools gets boring pretty quickly:tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

de Offline Josh613

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 08:22:48 PM
I have another tool chest on the way. But I use a cheap plastic tote tray to get the tools I need to where I'm working. I'm also a happy amateur, but I'm also getting older and moving backwards and forwards between the project and the tools gets boring pretty quickly:tu:
Yeah that's true we live at my inlaws which is a big place, I also end up doing jobs at her grandparents and friends homes so wanted something portable that keeps things organised

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 09:57:13 PM
I came to the same realization that a tool roll can be a nice option.  Sadly, I never found one I could buy that did what I wanted; they were either meant for skinny screwdrivers/wrenches that were all the same width, or there were "handcrafted" (read: overpriced) leather things that seemed made more for looks than for tools (one was shown carrying Apple chargers/earbuds...).  So I ended up making one out of a sheet of canvas a while back.  It lives in our car, mainly gets used for times when we're visiting people and they need help fixing some little things. 

The nice thing about making my own was customizing the size of the slots, but in all reality I keep changing what I carry in there so it just helps that I have different widths.
roll1.jpg
* roll1.jpg (Filesize: 83.11 KB)
roll2.jpg
* roll2.jpg (Filesize: 82.71 KB)
roll3.jpg
* roll3.jpg (Filesize: 92.33 KB)

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 10:03:07 PM
I like the look of this one: http://singletrackworld.com/2015/05/spotted-at-tweedlove-a-tool-roll-to-covet/

I think it's a Bucket Boss roll.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 10:11:17 PM
I did a quick search for "tool roll" on Etsy, and got quite a variety in sizes, styles, and intended uses.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 10:14:55 PM
I did a quick search for "tool roll" on Etsy, and got quite a variety in sizes, styles, and intended uses.

That's good to see, I guess I should have waited longer  :)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 10:22:38 PM
Nothing beats making it yourself. :)

de Offline Josh613

Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 11:10:14 PM
I like the look of this one: http://singletrackworld.com/2015/05/spotted-at-tweedlove-a-tool-roll-to-covet/

I think it's a Bucket Boss roll.

That does look functional and very well thought out. Oddly bicycle mechanics are something I really want to take an interest in.

My father in law said he has a karpa tools one somewhere he uses to carry his wrenches around but I can try it if I want I said I need some new tools to fill it he laughed and said Christmas is coming so hopefully he has some ideas as he also like quality stuff although he buys Aldi and lido stuff too which are surprisingly well made

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 01:44:34 PM
I use one for wrenches. It's older than me so I guess it was built quite well.

As far as recommendations, I know that Recycled firefighter talked about making 'em a few months back so maybe they have something
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 04:29:51 AM
Carhart and Duluth both make good ones. I've got a pair of the Craftsman rolls that I keep in my car- the quality isn't as high, but they are cheap enough that when I started cutting seams out of one I didn't mind. One carries normal pliers, wrenches and screwdrivers, then the other one I modded so I can have allen and torx wrenches and a set of sockets seperate from the other tools.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 05:00:43 AM
I've kinda had my eye on one of these guys. I'm a sucker for waxed canvas. And tool storage and organization.

http://www.handeyesupply.com/collections/carry/products/red-clouds-collective-coffin-tool-roll
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 05:21:43 AM

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 07:40:24 PM
I'm way late to this party, but this one from CLC looks to have decent features for the price range;

https://smile.amazon.com/Custom-LeatherCraft-1173-32-Pocket-Socket/dp/B000KKUTCY/ref=pd_sim_469_27?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V1EVS189DCXDG09X6QG5

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 09:09:56 PM
Awesome. I still never got one but have my eye on a couple. That one does look nice and handy, let us know how you like it.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 05:36:53 AM
So, I finally broke down and bought a CLC tool roll.
I gotta say, it's pretty nice. Feels just about bombproof for the most part. The buckles are on the cheaper side. But for $13, I'd recommend it all day long.  :tu:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 11:29:19 AM
It was a big moment in my life (embarrassingly recent) when I finally got all my hand tools together in a big plastic toolbox.......no way I could fit everything in a roll....

I am however a fan, you can't shove a toolbox under a car seat, that's where the roll shines.....

I'm making a list of the sizes mostly used on my new Suzuki to populate the roll, like on my previous Toyota a 10mm, 17mm and 19mm spanners seemed to cover just about anything I needed to do...

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 02:29:26 AM
So, I finally broke down and bought a CLC tool roll.
I gotta say, it's pretty nice. Feels just about bombproof for the most part. The buckles are on the cheaper side. But for $13, I'd recommend it all day long.  :tu:

How about a photo loaded with your tools?
- Steve

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 03:39:41 PM
Well, it's a bit hard to get a really good photo right now, but here you go. I got this specifically to use with my modeler's tools, which I've pulled out a bit to make them more visible. From the left; Tamiya bending pliers, Tamiya side cutters, Beadsmith flat needlenose micro pliers, Olfa art knife, 7 kinds of Pixnor tweezers, and 2 sturdy metal rulers by.... I think it's e-boot. There's a bit of fine sandpaper at the top left.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 02:30:50 AM
Thanks.  How do the buckles work?
- Steve

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30