Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New! Gerber Center Drive

WiseDuck · 438 · 31771

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
New! Gerber Center Drive
on: October 18, 2016, 12:21:25 PM
http://center-drive.com/

I'm on my phone. So no pics. Check the website.
I'm totally stoked about this one, I'm gonna get myself one of these as soon as they're available online. To speed things up, would anyone from the US be willing to ship me one? Of course I'll cover all costs. Otherwise it'll take a while before the stores that ship to Sweden will get them.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:24:25 PM by WiseDuck »

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Re: New! Gerber Center Drive
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 12:26:03 PM
Good amount of tools too. I love that they kept the serrated blade. I use that one a LOT on my Mp600 Blunty.
img-tool-expanded.jpg
* img-tool-expanded.jpg (Filesize: 67.26 KB)

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 12:29:11 PM
Another picture.
img-tool-diagram-1.jpg
* img-tool-diagram-1.jpg (Filesize: 87.15 KB)

fi Offline Padre

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 01:11:07 PM
Looks little bit like new PowerPlay.
I like the pry bar.
Whats up with the drop on the blade after the belly?
It has something from Skeletool also.
I think I'll wait for a while and see peoples opinions about it.
Good that it is spring loaded. The awl looks too thick.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 01:19:14 PM by Padre »
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 01:23:36 PM
Interesting! Octane meets Balance meets MP600

The investment cast plier head looks a little too complicated for it's own good. I can understand the desire to keep casting costs down, but I am a little unsure as to what integrity would be produced by this method, and therefore the duty level of the pliers.

They look like the standard carbide cutters, but sufficiently out of the way so as not to foul when gripping like the LM replaceable ones do.

The "awl" looks like a handy marking knife, but the taper is a little steep for what I would expect from an awl. However, no saw kind of renders a marking knife less necessary perhaps.

The effectiveness of the "Shard" cap lifter as a pry tool will depend on. The thickness of the material. I would expect a regular thickness, rather than the beefed up version on the Spirit.

Can't fault the blade configuration. An OHO plain edge with a secondary serrated blade will please a lot of users.

If this is made in the USA, I would expect the load out to be moddable with parts from other tools. Not so if this is contracted out production - which looks more likely considering the design.

They might have made a bit of a booboo with the first central bit driver claim, as I think the new SOGs offer that don't they? (albeit off the pliers rather than a driver "arm"). Again, I hope the integrity of the investment casting is up to the torsional loading.

Overall, subject to pricing, I would expect this to be a bigger hit than the Shift. I think this will tick a lot of boxes for many people.

As with all tools however, the proof is in the usage. If the strength and durability is there, then well done Gerber! If not, it doesn't matter a toss how clever the design is. Let's hope this is one of their rugged faithful offerings.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 05:08:45 PM
I like the look of that! :tu:  I'll have to get my hands on one to play with.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 05:19:50 PM
Wave goodbuy to compromise! That's an apt slogan.
So, I may use my LM until they say "Charge at the face of competition" or something?

no Offline Grathr

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 05:56:40 PM
They certainly arent modest in that promo video...

I like what I see though. Looking forward to reading the first reviews here.
Do anyone know what the price will be?
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 06:22:24 PM

Price is same as Wave? Hopefully less.
I also dislike the straight comparison, if this fails its even worse for Gerber. Also this doesn't even compete with Wave as this tool is missing saw, file and scissors.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 06:50:37 PM

Price is same as Wave? Hopefully less.
I also dislike the straight comparison, if this fails its even worse for Gerber. Also this doesn't even compete with Wave as this tool is missing saw, file and scissors.
looks more like an OHT competitor, (they even snuck an OHT comparison in amongst the Wave comparison pics, probably because the knife blade is the same size!). Although if we are being honest, the only tools out there with a similar bit driver are other Gerber Products (MP1, Fit, Balance etc.), And the Multitasker I guess...
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 07:48:46 PM
:drool: I like the leap of faith. The video reminds me of the ford f150 commercials. I'll buy this one when it drops. The scheme is sweet too. Maybe they drew inspiration from here
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 08:06:47 PM
I really want to like it, I really do. I'll wait though and see what other people think after they've had them for a while  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 09:07:05 PM
Hmmm. Interesting. I like the thought of the extended and centered full size driver. And the one hand open pliers I never ever liked on gerbers, but it makes sense and maybe it's time for me to get over the overal hideous gerber aethestics (your opinion may vary). The prybars nice, also known as the big flathead on the leatherman  :whistle: PryBar should be way better though!

Gerber is always thinking outside the box, sometimes it really works great. I like and used the crap out of my crucial and dime. I applaud them for that  :clap:. I'm excited to here the meme era thoughts and reviews when they get them in the hand.

Oh yeah. And spring loaded pliers!!  :gimme:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 10:22:23 PM
I just realized... I dont think you can flick these open, since there is only a slider on one side! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 10:50:43 PM
I am excited for this! I would prefer scissors over the serrated blade, though. Personal preference. Made in the USA is a nice touch - definitely glad to see that. I can't wait to try this one out.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:51:56 PM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 10:54:39 PM
Well, I just wish the tool is in-the-line of the MP series and not the Chinese (Strata, Flik, Suspension, etc.) ones as far as toughness, industrial feel and durability. I really dig my MP800 (favorite Gerber, most beautiful MT for me) and have been carrying it a lot this month

but it's worn out and maybe I need something capable, similar and a worthy successor for this magnificient tool.

The head shape and cutters remind  me of the Legend too...I prefer the CE blade, though

anybody know any specs? Will it be as thick as the MP800, as heavy?

Thanks, I'll have my eye put on this one for sure!!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 11:47:15 PM
I just realized... I dont think you can flick these open, since there is only a slider on one side! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Never fear, flicking is an option  :rofl:

* Centerdrive.JPG (Filesize: 21.99 KB)
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 12:01:02 AM
Watched the video again and  :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking:  :viking: :viking:  :viking: :viking:  :viking: :viking:

:hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: To Gerber. It's a bold move to tackle the giant of any industry, but this one is not even hinting.  Many people do not like the mini driver on the wave, nor the fact it lacks an awl, people complained about the wave scissors (I like them, but some don't). Also a negative to most of the Wave competition is the lack of oho blade. Check, check, and check so far. Add that to replaceable cutters, usa made, oho pliers, no scissors or saw (but a lot of people use some type of power saw and are satisfied with their classic scissors) Oh and don't forget the cries of a standard bit driver for multi tools......it seems like Gerber has been listening to it's customers and it's competitors customers.

Btw really good marketing idea to drop this the first of November. Just in time for a million and one Christmas shoppers looking for something for dad, uncle, brother...I'm genuinely excited for this tool.  :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:04:27 AM by Demel »

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 12:17:54 AM
I'm always pleased to see more MT offerings.  The competition is good, and if anything it exerts a downward pressure on costs.  And this one looks like a decent MT.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 12:34:30 AM
I'm always pleased to see more MT offerings.  The competition is good, and if anything it exerts a downward pressure on costs.  And this one looks like a decent MT.

Should we be expecting a winter or summer burial for it?  :P :D

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 12:47:52 AM

Should we be expecting a winter or summer burial for it?  :P :D

:rofl:

Seriously, I like what I see. I'll be waiting for its release...... :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 01:01:13 AM

They're not pulling any punches in the marketting

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 01:01:53 AM

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 01:03:23 AM

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 01:04:08 AM

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 01:28:10 AM
 :like: :like: :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: October 19, 2016, 01:51:12 AM
Many people do not like the mini driver on the wave, nor the fact it lacks an awl, people complained about the wave scissors (I like them, but some don't). Also a negative to most of the Wave competition is the lack of oho blade. Check, check, and check so far. Add that to replaceable cutters, usa made, oho pliers, no scissors or saw (but a lot of people use some type of power saw and are satisfied with their classic scissors) Oh and don't forget the cries of a standard bit driver for multi tools......it seems like Gerber has been listening to it's customers and it's competitors customers.

When I was running an engineering company, the Wave was actually an ideal choice for me. The pocket clip meant no snag hazards from a belt sheath (which I refused to wear for safety reasons). The OHO serrated blade was ideal for tearing through cling film used to wrap large irregular components, and the diamond file could tickle up a HSS flat scraping blade or forming tool on an old manual roll turning lathe if I didn't have an emery stick handy. The mini driver even came in handy for repairs and adjustments on some metrology items.

However, as a jobsite tool, I think they've picked a good tool choice to appeal to a wide market. I'm not ready to part with my Wave, Spirit, MP600's, or LC6 just yet, and I'm also off the jobsite at the moment, but I'm certainly looking forward to reviews from users who make their tools work for a living

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #27 on: October 19, 2016, 01:56:06 AM
I will need one for my collection. However, I am going to reserve judgement until I can get a hard copy in my paws.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #28 on: October 19, 2016, 02:12:36 AM
I'm pretty bummed to see the carbide cutters on this. It's a good concept, but the carbide has let me down before, and is expensive to replace. I have submitted the suggestion to Gerber that they produce an identical designed replacement, but made of 154cm or similar material.

You can lead a horse to water, right?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #29 on: October 19, 2016, 02:56:49 AM
This one has me interested.  I may grab one when I can. 

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44