Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New! Gerber Center Drive

WiseDuck · 438 · 31539

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Re: New! Gerber Center Drive
Reply #30 on: October 19, 2016, 03:35:47 AM
Not sure if anyone had seen this yet. Soldier Systems got sent a preproduction unit to check out lots of good pics and thoughts on the new piece from Gerber. Of interest, the tool has on board storage for an extra bit (flat is included), also comes with a 12 piece bit-kit in addition to the two bits on the tool, and the whole shebang is wrapped up in a nice sheath.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/10/18/gerber-center-drive/
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 19, 2016, 06:30:59 AM
Might just be my first gerber despite their advertising

fi Offline Padre

Reply #32 on: October 19, 2016, 06:51:53 AM
$89 MSRP
A bit (yes, bit) more than i expected, but if quality of the file and locks are good enough this just might do it.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: October 19, 2016, 07:12:26 AM
I love healthy competition.  I also dig how Gerber went after LM  :like:.  No shame in that IMO and the tool appears to tick all the boxed for many, as 50ft mentions. 

I cannot wait till one of you Gerber gurus get a hold of this. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: October 19, 2016, 07:29:59 AM
So I'm interested in this thread. As I said before Gerber thinks outside the box and it's refreshing to see a new release coming down the pipe with so many interesting features. I'll watch one video and be pumped and then have second thoughts when I look at the pictures (I guess that's good marketing for ya). This is going to be very different then all my other experiences with multitools. Since I have not owned any SOG and limited Gerbers, this one has me intrigued. I'd say Leatherman plays it pretty safe and there tools are time tested and tried and true. This ones actually moving the needle! :woot:

That review posted above I checked out and a couple of those pictures had me thinking. Of course I need to here more first hand accounts when it gets released and have one to test in my own hand to fully know. But does the looks of the first and third picture make the center drive screwdriver be in a precarious place for hand ergonomics when using the pliers? By the way what's the little black tail on the first pic, bottom right? And is the surface of the wire cutters appear small and close to the pivot for getting a substantial cut on a thicker gauge wire in the fourth pic? And in the fifth pic does the knifes "unlock" bar seem like it could be engaged/disengaged with various grips? I'm geeking out with questions already, sorry. I'm a nerd  :D

Can't wait to see this, and for some of you guys to get one and put it to use!!  :cheers: Way to go Gerber! I was seeing posts on insta the last couple days and it's nice we're getting more and more info!  :cheers:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: October 19, 2016, 09:59:23 AM
I don't get why anyone puts a blade in a MT (or worse two). Blades are the only thing I can really easily supplement with a folder.

After the MP1 Gerber again brings out another MT with a long standard bit holder and that is great. Don't fancy the design that much, looks like it has a lot of potential hot-spots that are not so nice to grip with my soft office-worker hands.
I don't care for that marketing either (if you want to compare don't cheat. Compare it to the Wave/ OHT / Both all the way).. The only kind of marketing I like is when a member here writes a review :pok:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: October 19, 2016, 10:54:04 AM
They might have made a bit of a booboo with the first central bit driver claim, as I think the new SOGs offer that don't they? (albeit off the pliers rather than a driver "arm"). Again, I hope the integrity of the investment casting is up to the torsional loading.
Ok, hard to tell from those images/videos, but I also think the SOG is the only true center drive :P

I mean it looks like the "center drive" is nowhere near the center. Yes, it is in the middle between the handles but offset in the thickness.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: October 19, 2016, 10:57:13 AM
They might have made a bit of a booboo with the first central bit driver claim, as I think the new SOGs offer that don't they? (albeit off the pliers rather than a driver "arm"). Again, I hope the integrity of the investment casting is up to the torsional loading.
Ok, hard to tell from those images/videos, but I also think the SOG is the only true center drive :P

I mean it looks like the "center drive" is nowhere near the center. Yes, it is in the middle between the handles but offset in the thickness.
It actually looks like it is leaning towards the outside.
Darn, we need more pictures.
cd.jpg
* cd.jpg (Filesize: 34.67 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: October 19, 2016, 12:40:38 PM
Now that I think about it... I'm also excited to see LMs answer :D

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #39 on: October 19, 2016, 01:24:34 PM
Finally, a new design. Those videos were appalling though. Brandishing your product in comparison to the industry standard, 'yeah, that's sh*t, ours is better" is unkind, to put it politely. Also, the "competition" is more than the OHT, which has the shortest LM blade for the size range.

Also, this is not in production yet right? How did those guys talk about it as if they had it for years? Something is amiss here friends.

Kind of a bold move showing the Wave and OHT and snapping the eyeglass driver bit, but this looks better than the overhyped Swiza and PowerPlay campaigns.

Hopefully LM (and maybe Vic and SOG) will decide to compare products with Gerber bombs, or actually create models to take on the Center Drive.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 03:26:32 PM by ReamerPunch »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #40 on: October 19, 2016, 01:51:27 PM
Victorinox has a centered driver, with ratchet, good leverage, great reach, capable for presicion use, which takes standard 6mm hex and the legendary corckscrew driver (the Hex version) and can be used as a sidekick of any Multitool or SAK on the market, regardless of brand, it is strong and beautiful and bears the Vic shield emblem. So, what's the big deal?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #41 on: October 19, 2016, 02:02:42 PM
Victorinox has a centered driver, with ratchet, good leverage, great reach, capable for presicion use, which takes standard 6mm hex and the legendary corckscrew driver (the Hex version) and can be used as a sidekick of any Multitool or SAK on the market, regardless of brand, it is strong and beautiful and bears the Vic shield emblem. So, what's the big deal?
Well to start, that isnt actually a pliers based multitool...

Although I agree, Vic is missing out by not marketing that more. The Vic driver tool + a regular multi is a much better solution, since you are sheath carrying anyhow
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: October 19, 2016, 03:36:45 PM

Although I agree, Vic is missing out by not marketing that more. The Vic driver tool + a regular multi is a much better solution, since you are sheath carrying anyhow
If memory serves me right, the Wenger PocketGrip has a center-driver that takes standard bits, right?

fi Offline Padre

Reply #43 on: October 19, 2016, 03:47:02 PM

If memory serves me right, the Wenger PocketGrip has a center-driver that takes standard bits, right?

I wouldn't campare PocketGrip to full size plier based multitool still... Its an basic 85mm Wenger right? Also not for sale and used ones are much higher priced than this will ever be.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #44 on: October 19, 2016, 05:10:28 PM
In case anyone is interested...

http://multitool.org/item/204-new-tool-available-november-1st

Although I don't think I have said much that hasn't already been covered here.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #45 on: October 19, 2016, 05:46:54 PM
In case anyone is interested...

http://multitool.org/item/204-new-tool-available-november-1st

Although I don't think I have said much that hasn't already been covered here.  :D

Def

Nice write up :tu:

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: October 19, 2016, 06:26:08 PM
Thanks- I have to say, this one looks like (to me, at first glance) more than a simple gimmick.  Gerber put a lot of thought into this one, and if it does what they say it does, and has the quality we have come to expect from the Multiplier series then I think we are in for something really special. 

It has everything you want in a tool- good price point, good design from people who have obviously been listening to the users, not a lot for the sake of being fancy or pretty, as much knife blade as you can fit into it (which reminds me of Evil's Skeletool blade mod where a much larger blade was fitted into the existing slot because Leatherman left so much extra space), and they didn't forget the other tools.  This is a whole new design, but not cheaped out on, and still being true to the tradition of excellent Gerber sliding head plier tools of the past.

I have to say, I am really stoked about this tool, in a way I really haven't been for a long time.  Put this up against the $175 Tread and all I can say is "Leather who?"

I can't wait to put one of these to work and see what it can do.  If it can back up the huge cheque Gerber is writing with their marketing, then this may well be one of the all time best multitools ever made.

Does that mean it's perfect?  Not necessarily, as a lot of personal preference comes in- I'd like it with the carbide cutters in a blunt nose MP600 type head, with no spring.  Others like the spring, but want no cutters, or a longer needle nose.  It's never going to be perfect unless Gerber offers it in 300 different variations, like they already do with the MP600, but I think it is coming a lot closer to being a damned fine multitool in an industry that is getting further away from plier tools.

For the past few years we haven't seen much new or exciting in the plier based tool category- SOG has released some cool stuff, but they have suffered somewhat from being manufactured overseas, which is the downfall of a lot of SOG's stuff lately.  I am also not a huge fan of the LM OHT, feeling it is a crappy copy of Gerber's design, and I was lukewarm at best over the MUT.  Victorinox hasn't given us any new multitools since they finally gave us the Spirit with the configuration we'd all been wanting since the original came out.  Basically no one has done anything great with the plier based concept for a long time, and even I was starting to think that the day of the cool plier based tool was over and done with.

And now, here comes the Center Drive.

I love the look. 

I love the functions.

I love the design.

Gerber really paid attentions and did their homework on this one.  Virtually everything everyone here has been saying for years, Gerber has done with this.

USA made.

3D screwdrivers.

One handed opening.

And they have done it at a very reasonable price point- I mean $89 MSRP is insane for a USA made tool.  The MUT, the Tread, the Charge and the OHT are all well over a hundred bananas, and none of them can get a recessed screw to save your life.

This tool shows me that there is a future to the plier based multitool, and all it takes is someone willing to reach out and grab it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: October 19, 2016, 06:38:42 PM

Posted above. And one of the pics does show the centering better.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:40:11 PM by kaput »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #48 on: October 19, 2016, 08:38:39 PM
I trust you boss. It looks nice for a beater tool, if it's heavy duty enough (for a Multi).
By the time it reaches Greece it might climb over 100 euros, even higher. If it will be close to a 100, I'll give it a try.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #49 on: October 19, 2016, 08:43:37 PM
Thanks- I have to say, this one looks like (to me, at first glance) more than a simple gimmick.  Gerber put a lot of thought into this one, and if it does what they say it does, and has the quality we have come to expect from the Multiplier series then I think we are in for something really special. 

It has everything you want in a tool- good price point, good design from people who have obviously been listening to the users, not a lot for the sake of being fancy or pretty, as much knife blade as you can fit into it (which reminds me of Evil's Skeletool blade mod where a much larger blade was fitted into the existing slot because Leatherman left so much extra space), and they didn't forget the other tools.  This is a whole new design, but not cheaped out on, and still being true to the tradition of excellent Gerber sliding head plier tools of the past.

I have to say, I am really stoked about this tool, in a way I really haven't been for a long time.  Put this up against the $175 Tread and all I can say is "Leather who?"

I can't wait to put one of these to work and see what it can do.  If it can back up the huge cheque Gerber is writing with their marketing, then this may well be one of the all time best multitools ever made.

Does that mean it's perfect?  Not necessarily, as a lot of personal preference comes in- I'd like it with the carbide cutters in a blunt nose MP600 type head, with no spring.  Others like the spring, but want no cutters, or a longer needle nose.  It's never going to be perfect unless Gerber offers it in 300 different variations, like they already do with the MP600, but I think it is coming a lot closer to being a damned fine multitool in an industry that is getting further away from plier tools.

For the past few years we haven't seen much new or exciting in the plier based tool category- SOG has released some cool stuff, but they have suffered somewhat from being manufactured overseas, which is the downfall of a lot of SOG's stuff lately.  I am also not a huge fan of the LM OHT, feeling it is a crappy copy of Gerber's design, and I was lukewarm at best over the MUT.  Victorinox hasn't given us any new multitools since they finally gave us the Spirit with the configuration we'd all been wanting since the original came out.  Basically no one has done anything great with the plier based concept for a long time, and even I was starting to think that the day of the cool plier based tool was over and done with.

And now, here comes the Center Drive.

I love the look. 

I love the functions.

I love the design.

Gerber really paid attentions and did their homework on this one.  Virtually everything everyone here has been saying for years, Gerber has done with this.

USA made.

3D screwdrivers.

One handed opening.

And they have done it at a very reasonable price point- I mean $89 MSRP is insane for a USA made tool.  The MUT, the Tread, the Charge and the OHT are all well over a hundred bananas, and none of them can get a recessed screw to save your life.

This tool shows me that there is a future to the plier based multitool, and all it takes is someone willing to reach out and grab it.

Def

Nice appraisal Grant, and nice write up on the main site  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: October 19, 2016, 09:04:49 PM

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: October 19, 2016, 10:18:40 PM

Its well centered between the two handle halves but not so much in the width. See my picture
cd_03.jpg
* cd_03.jpg (Filesize: 63.38 KB)

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: October 19, 2016, 10:22:24 PM

Its well centered between the two handle halves but not so much in the width. See my picture
I do and you're right! Maybe it should have been branded as The Center(ish) Drive  :whistle:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: October 19, 2016, 10:47:10 PM

I do and you're right! Maybe it should have been branded as The Center(ish) Drive  :whistle:
I wonder if they could not have solved this offset too.Should be possible, no? Anyway, not so certain it matters that much, as the handle is too large to really use it like you would a screwdriver. That is possibly good enough for a comfortable use.
But it also means that if you use the Wave, half-open then its bit-holder is better centered when compared to the Centerish-Drive.

Also, if I look at the images from the MP-1 (pictures from J-sews and Chako), I'm not so sure it is that big of an improvement (regarding the driver) as you can also use the MP-1 in half open position.

But I have to say, the Center Drive Driver looks sturdier.

ca Offline schoi604

Reply #55 on: October 19, 2016, 11:01:36 PM
Count me in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #56 on: October 19, 2016, 11:14:47 PM
To get the driver central on both axis, you would either have

A) To stash the driver outside along the edge of the handle, making the tool significantly wider when using every other feature

B) Fixed open pliers, kind of like the Swissgrip

C)  To have the arm open on a helix

They have centralised it on the larger of the two axes, and I think this will be sufficient for it to be effective and comfortable.

I do have a multitool which takes full bits, is even more screwdriver like in form, and is pretty much as central as can be, although it doesn't have the same reach.

It's called a Switchplier  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #57 on: October 20, 2016, 02:05:03 AM
I'm already counting down with my credit card ready and my courier from the states waiting for my go signal ....GERBER FOREVER!!!
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #58 on: October 20, 2016, 02:52:59 AM
I'm already counting down with my credit card ready and my courier from the states waiting for my go signal ....GERBER FOREVER!!!
Hey buddy :waving:

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #59 on: October 20, 2016, 03:03:23 AM

Hey - please go easy on those goats of yours, they must be petrified already.

This is a different type of tool... ;)
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44