Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New! Gerber Center Drive

WiseDuck · 438 · 31858

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Re: New! Gerber Center Drive
Reply #360 on: November 28, 2016, 07:47:08 AM
So... I got my hands on the center drive at my local hunting shop. I was excited to see it available to take a hands on look at it  :ahhh. I played with it for a few minutes checking out the tool and features. This was my first hands on with the Gerber sliding plier type designs. I have a Gerber crucial that I used daily for about 2 years, but quite different design, which seems to be gerbers modus operendi. And I like the sound of that, in theory  :think: :D They don't seem to conform to the somewhat normal linear design that share commonalities between Leatherman, Victorinox and SOG. So with that said the GCD felt very different in MY hands. So onto my first impressions.

Review; If you are a pliers based multitool guy the implementation of the quick slide pliers are first and foremost on this tool being easy to quickly deploy and use. I do like that a heavy duty tool is using spring loaded pliers. I am ok with either spring loaded or non, I appreciate both. I do like the shape of the pliers being more of a needle nose at the end, could come in handy. To get the pliers in and out is much quicker deployment than standard Leatherman type pliers where they are all on the inside, sans OHT.

Starting with the outer tools, the knife is fine and the shape is good. It didn't feel inherintley BIG as it's been pushed by the advertising. The namesake center-drive bit driver is nice it's extended and centered on the tool, and although I didn't get to put it to use it seemed nice and super durable. Soooo  8) I love me an awl. I use an awl frequently. And I think every multitool from midsize to large should without a doubt posses an awl, no questions asked  ;). Although this awl is very nice and pointy sharp it is extremely unfortunately short  :pok:! As was the prybar/can opener. If I'm prying almost anything I should really be reaching for hammer/chisel/prybar, but it did seem to be stout and could pry a small nail or something stuck possibly. And although short, which is probably a benefit to not extending the leverage from the body of the tool? The other two tools the serrated and file seemed just fine.

I just don't think I jive with the Gerber design overall, but could completely see how groups of people would and could. I personally didn't care for the way it looked, and although I use my tools and like them to get scratched and am ok with them showing wear and tear, I like them to look cool  8). Also the cutouts in the frame, I know this is a Gerber thing but I think im just so conditioned and in tune with Leatherman and smooth clean lines that it prevented me from liking the looks. Not to mention the size, it is a big awkward feeling tool. Even the LM 300 feels more sleek. I also don't like all the steps required to access the inner tools and use them. The GCD center drive driver was uncomfortable in my hands, and unlike Leathermans tools where using the pliers are ambidextrous, the GCD seems to have a certain grip using the pliers to be comforatable in regards to that rounded non flush center drive driver (and I don't necessarily hate the idea, my Gerber crucial is the same way, except it is extremely comforatable using it as designed).

I don't know. After actually getting my hands on this tool I still have mixed feelings on the tool. Some great features and some that would take some getting used too. I still like Gerber and appreciate everything they do. I really admire them for this out of the box thinking!  :tu:  :tu: I have no doubt some people who take the chance and pocket this tool will find it extremely useful and have allot of nice features at hand.  :cheers:

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 07:51:03 AM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #361 on: November 28, 2016, 06:57:24 PM
Mine just arrived in the mail. :mail:
Havent had much time to play with it yet.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #362 on: November 29, 2016, 12:55:53 AM
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #363 on: November 29, 2016, 02:20:23 AM
Me too.  So far what I've read here though, has confirmed that it's not for me.  Too big and heavy, and possibly awkward in hand.  If there were a smaller version though, I'd probably get one.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #364 on: November 29, 2016, 06:42:36 AM
I said from the beginning there may be bugs to iron out. Give it its due credit. Remember the evolution and little enhancements to the Wave or even the Surge up till now.

I'm holding off but I hope this tool sells a billion copies. :cheers:
SAW

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #365 on: November 29, 2016, 01:51:52 PM
Another comparison, this time vs the MP1 (to me, the real Heavy-Duty MT from Gerber)... I dunno, the price point is a tad too high for me, I don't think I'll give it a try

I'll stay with the Legend and MP600s... :multi:

The reviewer was upset that he broke the carbide inserts on the Center Drive when he attempted to cut a stainless steel rod.   I would never try that with a multitool and use a Dremel tool with cutting wheel or a bolt cutter instead.
Well, they cut a LM eye-glass bit in their promo video... that should be a pretty tough task right up there with stainless steel rod. Anyone did a reality check on that one :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #366 on: November 29, 2016, 05:35:26 PM
I don't have a spare eyeglass screwdriver to test it on.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #367 on: November 29, 2016, 10:01:36 PM
I will test and video that when I get my hands on Center-Drive
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #368 on: November 29, 2016, 10:07:10 PM
Order some spare cutters in advance :dwts:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #369 on: November 30, 2016, 04:14:51 AM
Order some spare cutters in advance :dwts:

So Much this. It's almost like those cutters are made of glass

:whistle:

Seriously, the cutters are the only thing I dislike about the GCD
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #370 on: November 30, 2016, 05:01:37 AM
I really like the color contrast of BO implements with a bead blast handle. Thinking about putting BO mp400 implements in a bead blast mp400 handle.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #371 on: November 30, 2016, 02:12:43 PM
I really like the color contrast of BO implements with a bead blast handle. Thinking about putting BO mp400 implements in a bead blast mp400 handle.
I'm a big fan of the other way round... BO frame with stainless tools :drool:

Tough the opposite has its appeal too.
gerbers_03.jpg
* gerbers_03.jpg (Filesize: 575.6 KB)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #372 on: November 30, 2016, 03:42:49 PM
Same here ;)

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #373 on: December 01, 2016, 03:25:29 AM

Def

I'd give you mine!  IMHO it's the most worthless tool and the biggest waste of space I've ever seen on an MT.  Although I don't wear glasses  :D  It's my biggest pet peeve with LM.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 03:27:53 AM by clown »

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #374 on: December 01, 2016, 04:39:39 AM

Def

I'd give you mine!  IMHO it's the most worthless tool and the biggest waste of space I've ever seen on an MT.  Although I don't wear glasses  :D  It's my biggest pet peeve with LM.
Agree 100%.   :facepalm:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #375 on: December 01, 2016, 10:35:37 AM

Def

Agree 100%.   :facepalm:
I agree, especially such a bulky one. I do like the eye-glass screwdriver on a SAK.
However, anyone remember the uproar when they dropped the eye-glass screwdriver on the Surge?

fi Offline Padre

Reply #376 on: December 01, 2016, 03:08:14 PM
I agree that the EG-screwdriver is waste of space for many, but I use it frequently and really like it. I need to pry open small electronics and also have multiple glasses and sunglasses. I have maybe twenty stubs around.
Hint: Offer to tighten up your friends/relatives glasses with the tool to spread up joy. :)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #377 on: December 01, 2016, 04:41:27 PM
I've worn sunglasses my entire life, since a baby  8) and I have never once had to tighten the screws on them! Am I doing something wrong here?!   :ahhh

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #378 on: December 02, 2016, 01:57:22 AM
I agree that the EG-screwdriver is waste of space for many, but I use it frequently and really like it. I need to pry open small electronics and also have multiple glasses and sunglasses. I have maybe twenty stubs around.
Hint: Offer to tighten up your friends/relatives glasses with the tool to spread up joy. :)

Same here.

EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #379 on: December 02, 2016, 03:46:38 AM
I used to gripe about the small driver too but I use it a lot these days. And yes, I have tightened mine and other eyeglasses with it.
SAW

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #380 on: December 02, 2016, 08:16:06 AM
I've worn sunglasses my entire life, since a baby  8) and I have never once had to tighten the screws on them! Am I doing something wrong here?!   :ahhh
I have never used it / never needed to use them on my own glasses (wearing them now for 32 years). I usually switch glasses about every 4-6 years (my correction has been the same for all those years ).
I had to fix my wifes glasses once, but mostly it is children toys and glasses that need my attention.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #381 on: December 02, 2016, 01:30:31 PM
As I was the only member of my family who didn't wear glasses, I was nominated to fix everyone else's glasses whenever screws came loose.  It was something that happened, although not often.  I'm not sure I would really go out of my way to buy a tool with an eyeglass screwdriver on it, due to the infrequency in which I used it.  We had a set of precision screwdrivers growing up, and they were always kept in the desk drawer for whenever the need struck.

On the other hand, it is one of those things that when you need it, you need it, and there really is no substitute, so maybe having one isn't a bad thing after all.

Def

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #382 on: December 02, 2016, 01:37:16 PM
As I was the only member of my family who didn't wear glasses, I was nominated to fix everyone else's glasses whenever screws came loose.  It was something that happened, although not often.  I'm not sure I would really go out of my way to buy a tool with an eyeglass screwdriver on it, due to the infrequency in which I used it.  We had a set of precision screwdrivers growing up, and they were always kept in the desk drawer for whenever the need struck.

On the other hand, it is one of those things that when you need it, you need it, and there really is no substitute, so maybe having one isn't a bad thing after all.

Def
Wrong! The blade of the Classic does pretty well as eye-glass-screwdriver :salute:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #383 on: December 02, 2016, 01:50:40 PM
I have used the eyeglass screwdriver on the Wave/Charge quite frequently. Sometimes it's for turning extremely small screws and others it's for purposes it's not intended.  I work with a lot of electronics and they take extremely small screws and the drivers on the aforementioned tools becomes invaluable to me. I've defiantly done stupid things with them too and snapped the driver in two.

I want to also add, I've becomes a member of the Center Drive club and putting it through its paces as we speak. Initial impression is good and the quality is definitely there.  Pliers don't slide out like I wish they would with a flick but maybe that will come with time. The driver feels real good when being used but the extra bit holder feels odd, like it's unfinished. I'll keep testing it and let you guys know what I think.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

20161202_074946.jpg
* 20161202_074946.jpg (Filesize: 70.84 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #384 on: December 02, 2016, 03:37:12 PM

Def
Wrong! The blade of the Classic does pretty well as eye-glass-screwdriver :salute:

Use a blade as a screwdriver?   :ahhh

Def

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #385 on: December 02, 2016, 06:56:45 PM

Def

Use a blade as a screwdriver?   :ahhh

Def
Always, that is what blades are for... solve your problems.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #386 on: December 03, 2016, 12:53:10 AM
You mean to stab someone so you can take their screwdrivers?   :pok:

Def

Offline cooter32

Reply #387 on: December 05, 2016, 02:28:54 PM
I just ordered it.  Looks bad ass but I am a bit skeptical due to my experience with the MP1.  I really hope it is as tough as they say it is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #388 on: December 05, 2016, 03:12:01 PM
I just ordered it.  Looks bad ass but I am a bit skeptical due to my experience with the MP1.  I really hope it is as tough as they say it is.

What was your experience with the MP1?

Welcome to the forum!  :D

Def

Offline cooter32

Reply #389 on: December 06, 2016, 01:36:30 AM
Thanks! I've had to return it 4 times due to various failures that should not have happened.  I repair and maintain medical equipment so the environment is not hardcore like a machine shop or construction site.  My first unit the tip broke off of the knife quite easily.  Then the driver arm snapped in half while in use and again with not much force.  I had the flat screw driver tip break and now its on its way back due to the hardware that holds the hand grips on just simply backed out and fell off.  Also the pliers are very flexible when a small amount of force is applied.  Still I do like the tool and rely on it more so than my tool case.  It's obvious that the materials that make this tool are of low quality.  The plus side is that the warranty coverage is awesome.  Just send the broken unit back and they send me a new one.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%