Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New! Gerber Center Drive

WiseDuck · 438 · 31841

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Re: New! Gerber Center Drive
Reply #390 on: December 06, 2016, 03:05:08 AM
Thanks! I've had to return it 4 times due to various failures that should not have happened.  I repair and maintain medical equipment so the environment is not hardcore like a machine shop or construction site.  My first unit the tip broke off of the knife quite easily.  Then the driver arm snapped in half while in use and again with not much force.  I had the flat screw driver tip break and now its on its way back due to the hardware that holds the hand grips on just simply backed out and fell off.  Also the pliers are very flexible when a small amount of force is applied.  Still I do like the tool and rely on it more so than my tool case.  It's obvious that the materials that make this tool are of low quality.  The plus side is that the warranty coverage is awesome.  Just send the broken unit back and they send me a new one.

multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #391 on: December 06, 2016, 03:26:08 AM
Thanks! I've had to return it 4 times due to various failures that should not have happened.  I repair and maintain medical equipment so the environment is not hardcore like a machine shop or construction site.  My first unit the tip broke off of the knife quite easily.  Then the driver arm snapped in half while in use and again with not much force.  I had the flat screw driver tip break and now its on its way back due to the hardware that holds the hand grips on just simply backed out and fell off.  Also the pliers are very flexible when a small amount of force is applied.  Still I do like the tool and rely on it more so than my tool case.  It's obvious that the materials that make this tool are of low quality.  The plus side is that the warranty coverage is awesome.  Just send the broken unit back and they send me a new one.

I have to ask- what were you doing when the knife tip broke off?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #392 on: December 06, 2016, 07:22:03 AM
Do you have pictures???

It's just that on the 5th you wrote you have ordered one and on the 6th you already have returned it 4 times.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #393 on: December 06, 2016, 07:26:57 AM
Do you have pictures???

It's just that on the 5th you wrote you have ordered one and on the 6th you already have returned it 4 times.

I think that's ordered a Center Drive on the 5th, but has been returning his MP1 multiple times. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #394 on: December 06, 2016, 07:32:18 AM
Do you have pictures???

I think that's ordered a Center Drive on the 5th, but has been returning his MP1 multiple times. :)
Ahh, that makes so much more sense.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #395 on: December 06, 2016, 07:38:25 AM
Do you have pictures???

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #396 on: December 06, 2016, 08:04:34 AM
Do you have pictures???

(Image removed from quote.)
skeletool_20161206_02.jpg
* skeletool_20161206_02.jpg (Filesize: 102.14 KB)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #397 on: December 06, 2016, 03:02:01 PM
Have you ever dropped a multitool by accident?  I have.

Objects dropped are most likely to fall on a corner.  If the lanyard attachment point on the Center Drive is plastic, I hope it is strong enough to survive a drop on a hard surface.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #398 on: December 06, 2016, 03:10:11 PM

That's a worrying amount of returns for a supposedly heavy duty tool that isn't being used heavily. I'm glad I decided not to bother with this one.

You say the pliers are flexible with low force.... I have been making the point recently that sprung pliers don't last as long due to their hollow construction causing wear around the pivot far quicker than other pliers. Do you think this is what may be causing the flex, or is there something else which seems to cause it?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #399 on: December 08, 2016, 01:15:02 PM
Another review, plenty of shots of the tool and the review is very positive.

Offline cooter32

Reply #400 on: December 08, 2016, 01:25:14 PM

I have to ask- what were you doing when the knife tip broke off?
picking a piece of paper up off the floor.  Not the smartest thing to do but shouldn't have snapped the tip off.

Offline cooter32

Reply #401 on: December 08, 2016, 01:29:04 PM

That's a worrying amount of returns for a supposedly heavy duty tool that isn't being used heavily. I'm glad I decided not to bother with this one.

You say the pliers are flexible with low force.... I have been making the point recently that sprung pliers don't last as long due to their hollow construction causing wear around the pivot far quicker than other pliers. Do you think this is what may be causing the flex, or is there something else which seems to cause it?
I think it is just weak material. The plier jaws just twist under force.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #402 on: December 08, 2016, 02:12:04 PM
Knife blades don't respond well to attempts to stab the floor, and every set of MT pliers I've ever seen will flex under twisting. Never twist with a MT if you can avoid it.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #403 on: December 08, 2016, 06:12:10 PM
I have carried my center drive a little, and to be honest we dont get along very well.
There is nothing wrong with the tool, its just so smurfing big. Even when belt carrying I feel it sticks out so much its in the way for normal edc carry. Its a somewhat cumbersome design IMO with the huge driver sticking out and the lip on the lock release.
Ill put it on the belt of my "project pants" and see if it fits better there. (The surge has been occupiying that spot for some time)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #404 on: December 08, 2016, 09:17:57 PM
I have carried my center drive a little, and to be honest we dont get along very well.
There is nothing wrong with the tool, its just so smurfing big. Even when belt carrying I feel it sticks out so much its in the way for normal edc carry. Its a somewhat cumbersome design IMO with the huge driver sticking out and the lip on the lock release.
Ill put it on the belt of my "project pants" and see if it fits better there. (The surge has been occupiying that spot for some time)

Too big for EDC, and taking on the Surge head-to-head.
Should be interesting  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline cooter32

Reply #405 on: December 08, 2016, 10:10:42 PM
Quote from: WoodsDuck link=topic=68896.msg1391980#msg1391980 date=1 :ahhh481202724
Knife blades don't respond well to attempts to stab the floor, and every set of MT pliers I've ever seen will flex under twisting. Never twist with a MT if you can avoid it.
Lol!! But still it shoudn't have broken off so easily IMO

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #406 on: December 10, 2016, 03:18:02 PM
comparison vid

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #407 on: December 10, 2016, 04:10:56 PM
Surge...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #408 on: December 10, 2016, 05:24:37 PM
I am biased.  Looks to me the Surge head to head on paper IMO wins.  Adding in the bit card and extender open up so much versatility plus the blade exchanger.  I realize this tool is big and heavy for some but for others including myself I good with that. 

Center drive does look pretty awesome tho.  I dig the black and silver. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #409 on: December 30, 2016, 04:12:54 AM
Well I just read through this thread, and I'm very intrigued by the CD.  For how and what I use an MT for, I think this could really fit the bill.  I'd love to try one out before I try and sell some gear off, or trade for one though.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #410 on: December 30, 2016, 06:03:51 AM
Well I just read through this thread, and I'm very intrigued by the CD.  For how and what I use an MT for, I think this could really fit the bill.  I'd love to try one out before I try and sell some gear off, or trade for one though.
Well, if youre a Gerber multi fan it looks like they did a pretty good job and held true to their modus operendi. Lots of reviews out there now too since it's been a minute.

And, it got runner up for multi tool of the year, which adds some solid  backing to the tool (assuming that people who voted for it actually had one?)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #411 on: December 31, 2016, 04:44:14 PM
I don't usually like to spill the beans in advance, but there may be a way you can get a Center Drive for as little as $10 in January....  :whistle:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #412 on: December 31, 2016, 04:52:45 PM
I don't usually like to spill the beans in advance, but there may be a way you can get a Center Drive for as little as $10 in January....  :whistle:

Def
:ahhh

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #413 on: December 31, 2016, 05:52:12 PM
Yup.... I have a spare, brand new in box, never even opened Gerber Center Drive ready to find a new home.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline yourbadneighbor

Reply #414 on: January 01, 2017, 01:16:53 AM

Def
That would be great if it doesn't require me trading in my Wave! Lol
I would like to try their system out,  I have not cared for the way their tools have been made for a while. 
I may have to try a CD before I get my next LM which will be a Surge to mod or  crunch to mod?🤔? 

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #415 on: January 01, 2017, 02:07:13 AM
Make it a loaner, so we can all have a few days with it. That'd be pretty great!

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #416 on: January 01, 2017, 03:17:07 AM

Def

Boss, that is more a probability than a way  :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #417 on: January 01, 2017, 11:09:21 PM
Make it a loaner, so we can all have a few days with it. That'd be pretty great!

If I can find another Donation Draw prize in the next 48 hours that might be an option.  :D

Def

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #418 on: January 01, 2017, 11:37:09 PM

If I can find another Donation Draw prize in the next 48 hours that might be an option.  :D

Def

Oh i see that'll be the donation prize! Gotcha. That's actually a great prize and would be great gift and good for the site funds. Cheers to that  :cheers:

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #419 on: January 12, 2017, 08:51:46 AM
So unfortunately after less then two weeks of use my center drive broke. The F&F on mine was poor to say the least, but very usable. When cutting sone soft small diameter wire, the plier spring failed.  They are very hard to open and close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD