Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New! Gerber Center Drive

WiseDuck · 438 · 31854

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Re: New! Gerber Center Drive
Reply #90 on: October 26, 2016, 12:00:05 AM
Wow.. just saw this tool (thanks to Grant's email blast).  I'm torn.  It's got the right tools for a worksite, but missing some that I'd actually need or use, namely a saw and scissors, plus the awl looks incorrectly shaped. 

I am not a fan of Gerber MT's, none of them.  BUT, that being said, I hope this is successful so that it pushes LM and SOG, any any other company that wants to play ball to step up their game and put out a response to this tool.  It has some great things going on it. 

But man, they sure were brash and audacious in those videos..  They had better hope this thing flies and sells well, otherwise, that's an awful lot of egg on their faces.
I agree with pretty much this. Although I get by without scissors. But yeah that awl is awlfull isn't it...

Well said, JasonJ & kaput.

Same sentiments here. Reportedly the LM Wave v3 has been in the works for some time now but they're not rushing it thru the door yet...let's hope this little 'push' from Gerber provides even more incentive to come out with the  great new Wave successor. We just need to keep in mind the Wave is a 'generalist' tool, not a speSmurfpillst tool like Center-Drive, but still hoping for the best ;)
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #91 on: October 26, 2016, 02:28:04 AM
When was the last time we had four pages worth of discussion regarding any tool that no one has actually handled yet?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: October 26, 2016, 02:29:36 AM
The fact that they attacked the WAVE left a real bad taste in my mouth.  They act like Gerber invented a bit driver.  Let's face it, good tool, but they added a long bit driver with standard bits.  Then they marketed the commercial toward a mechanic who has $40,000 worth of tools.  Like I said, good tool, but nothing special and a marketing strategy that is embarrassing. 

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #93 on: October 26, 2016, 02:34:21 AM
When was the last time we had four pages worth of discussion regarding any tool that no one has actually handled yet?

Def

When was the last time a multi tool maker launched such an aggressive marketing campaign using pretty much all available media?

BTW, lot of us have seen enough already and have been around multitools long enough to be able to draw some pre-conclusions  ;)

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #94 on: October 26, 2016, 02:38:37 AM
The fact that they attacked the WAVE left a real bad taste in my mouth.  They act like Gerber invented a bit driver.  Let's face it, good tool, but they added a long bit driver with standard bits.  Then they marketed the commercial toward a mechanic who has $40,000 worth of tools.  Like I said, good tool, but nothing special and a marketing strategy that is embarrassing.

Tend to agree with you.

Also as you pointed out people sometimes forget multitool isn't a serious tool. It is not something a serious mechanic or a worker should rely on. They are merely backup, compact, utility side tools. And if they're all you have on you in a situation that calls for one, all the better - that's where the multitools come to the fore - "the best tool is the one you have on you" sort of thing.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #95 on: October 26, 2016, 02:41:42 AM

Def
The Signal?  :think:

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

fi Offline Padre

Reply #96 on: October 26, 2016, 08:45:08 AM
Im just worried about QC of Gerber as their recent models had problems out from the box, like FliK and Diesel.
I better wait for few years and pick CenterDrive that has been fixed already.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: October 26, 2016, 09:04:42 AM
Im just worried about QC of Gerber as their recent models had problems out from the box, like FliK and Diesel.
I better wait for few years and pick CenterDrive that has been fixed already.
I am to believe that the USA branded tools, as well as higher price point tools, haven't had as many quality control issues vs. their outsourced tools.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: October 26, 2016, 09:20:26 AM
Then they marketed the commercial toward a mechanic who has $40,000 worth of tools.  Like I said, good tool, but nothing special and a marketing strategy that is embarrassing.

I would say they marketed it to Man On the Street who wants to feel like a mechanic with $40,000 worth of tools (and tattoos, and an embarrassing amount of grease on everything, and designer stubble)

I would tend to agree that a straight Centre-Drive VS LM OHT shootout would be "fairer", but marketing is not really about fairness - That's what we are here for :P

On the other hand - It would want to be better than the OHT. It'd be embarrassing for Gerber (or whoever the dudes in their MT department are) to have to say "Welp, they beat us at our own design."

fi Offline Padre

Reply #99 on: October 26, 2016, 09:58:33 AM
Then again I see this as a revenge against LM OHT for them stepping on Gerbers toes. "ok, so LM created OHT, lets make some Waves then."
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: October 26, 2016, 12:52:34 PM
Then again I see this as a revenge against LM OHT for them stepping on Gerbers toes. "ok, so LM created OHT, lets make some Waves then."
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #101 on: October 26, 2016, 12:54:29 PM

Tend to agree with you.

Also as you pointed out people sometimes forget multitool isn't a serious tool. It is not something a serious mechanic or a worker should rely on. They are merely backup, compact, utility side tools. And if they're all you have on you in a situation that calls for one, all the better - that's where the multitools come to the fore - "the best tool is the one you have on you" sort of thing.

Where was that indignity when Leatherman copied Gerber's sliding head design?  Or when Leatherman copied Gerber's removable/replaceable cutters?

They also aren't saying the Center Drive is better than the OHT and Wave, they are just pointing out that their tool has a longer blade, longer screwdriver and doesn't take those flat bits, which I have hated from the get go.

Def

If you will recall, the majority of the posts about the Signal were negative, and one member even disliked it so much he literally flushed it down the toilet.   :ahhh

At least some of the posts here are positive!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: October 26, 2016, 01:36:33 PM
They also aren't saying the Center Drive is better than the OHT and Wave, they are just pointing out that their tool has a longer blade, longer screwdriver and doesn't take those flat bits, which I have hated from the get go.

As I believe some Canadian git said - It's addressing a lot of the common issues brought up by Multitool users/fanciers.

I'm all for it in theory (Theory being the operative word here. This thing will likely cost in the $200-300 AUD realm, so barring some sort of magnificent event, it is very unlikely to end up on my belt - But, that's not a commentary on Gerber's ability to make a quality bit of kit...)

But, it's never too soon to tell someone how they could have done something better.. ::)

Saw would be better than a serrated blade  :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #103 on: October 26, 2016, 01:54:28 PM
Well, it is addressing many of the issues that many of us have commented on over the years.  You've been dropping in and out like some kind of Nomad for years, you know what people have been saying.

Oh yeah, and BTW, the Canadian dollar has sunk even lower than the Australian dollar, so if you think it will be pricey for you, imagine what I will have to pay for one.   :ahhh

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: October 26, 2016, 02:27:04 PM
Oh yeah, and BTW, the Canadian dollar has sunk even lower than the Australian dollar, so if you think it will be pricey for you, imagine what I will have to pay for one

It's too bad they won't be available here while I'm still working in Euros, I might have been able to break even somehow....

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #105 on: October 26, 2016, 02:40:17 PM

Tend to agree with you.

Where was that indignity when Leatherman copied Gerber's sliding head design?  Or when Leatherman copied Gerber's removable/replaceable cutters?

I might be wrong, but I don't think Leatherman advertised with a direct comparison against a Gerber multi. So it's not so much about what they do, but what they say and how they say it. Really, this is just advertising that's trying to build a brand. Gerber wants people to think it's a tough, down-to-earth company that doesn't mince words. A lot of people like that, it's reflected in our political season, but some find it distasteful. Either way, this advertising successfully builds that brand.

And I personally don't think that Gerber is copying Leatherman, the way Leatherman copied Gerber — as you correctly point out. I gave Leatherman a pass on the OHT because I think they build a higher quality tool. If Victorinox announced a SwissTool with a sliding plier head, you can bet I'd be totally on board with that. Relatedly, I do not feel this way about Ganzo aping the Griptillian or PM2, because that's not to build a better tool, it's just to make a cheaper one. In other words, with the OHT, the ends justified the means.

At least some of the posts here are positive!  :P

To focus on the substance that an engineer created (and not the fluff that marketing came up with) — having a built-in standard bit driver with longer reach is great. I don't think it will be all that centered in the end, since it's on the outside of the tool. I also think the thumb ramp is a great idea, it could help you bear down harder on the driver, especially with wet or gloved hands. With the larger blade, I'd rather see a partially serrated edge and a wood saw on the inside. I'm curious about how thick it's going to be. I hope it's a really tough, high quality tool that will make Leatherman and SOG take notice. And I think that's all I've got to say until it gets released and somebody buys one. :tu:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:43:50 PM by metasyntax »
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #106 on: October 26, 2016, 04:22:10 PM
The funny thing about the OHT is this- there are military contracts that specifically call for a sliding head plier tool, and that is why LM created the OHT, as soon as Gerber's patent on the design expired.  As of yet, I have not heard of the OHT being issued to any military groups, and at twice the price of an MP600 I doubt it ever will.

And, to add insult to injury, when it came to a military contract years ago calling for a butterfly opening tool, Gerber also beat Leatherman out with the MPT.  From a certain point of view, one could say that when the contract calls for a Gerber, Gerber wins.  When the contract calls for a Leatherman, Gerber wins... :P

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: October 26, 2016, 05:30:28 PM
The funny thing about the OHT is this- there are military contracts that specifically call for a sliding head plier tool, and that is why LM created the OHT, as soon as Gerber's patent on the design expired.  As of yet, I have not heard of the OHT being issued to any military groups, and at twice the price of an MP600 I doubt it ever will.

And, to add insult to injury, when it came to a military contract years ago calling for a butterfly opening tool, Gerber also beat Leatherman out with the MPT.  From a certain point of view, one could say that when the contract calls for a Gerber, Gerber wins.  When the contract calls for a Leatherman, Gerber wins..

This is the case for the USA, and I know a few other nations that have Gerbers issued,

Aus managed to get Swisstools (Excellent choice) then changed their mind and got LM Cores (also a reasonable choice), but finally settled on Schrade *tough* tools  :rofl:

I'm not too sure what government contracts think the difference is between a special military tool and a regular multitool. Probably that it comes in black.
So, assuming the Centre-Drive comes in the appropriate Ninja fashions, perhaps it'll get it's opportunity to be issued somewhere :P

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #108 on: October 26, 2016, 07:14:44 PM

Tend to agree with you.

Def

If you will recall, the majority of the posts about the Signal were negative, and one member even disliked it so much he literally flushed it down the toilet.   :ahhh

At least some of the posts here are positive! 

Def
Oh yes, I do remember it was mostly negative talk, but I just meant that there was a lot of talk ;)  I do remember the infamous Signal flushing :ahhh

K-Tibbs

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #109 on: October 26, 2016, 07:56:57 PM
Let's not forget that without competition neither of these tools would likely exist...

:cheers:
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #110 on: October 27, 2016, 12:40:00 AM

Tend to agree with you.

Def

Def
Oh yes, I do remember it was mostly negative talk, but I just meant that there was a lot of talk ;)  I do remember the infamous Signal flushing :ahhh

There was also a lot of talk about the Tread too... that is no indicator that something is good!  :P

Def

00 Offline RX7_Freak

• New User
Reply #111 on: October 27, 2016, 12:41:54 AM
FYI - For those interested I just noticed that Amazon.com now has this available for pre-order.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX91NIU

:gimme:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #112 on: October 27, 2016, 12:45:19 AM

Tend to agree with you.

Def

Def

There was also a lot of talk about the Tread too... that is no indicator that something is good! 

Def
Indeed.  I never paid any attention to the Tread though.  I am interested in this new Gerber for sure, even though one of its big selling points is the driver which I would hardly ever use.  However, the OHO pliers and knife are two features I really like.

K-Tibbs

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #113 on: October 27, 2016, 12:45:50 AM
FYI - For those interested I just noticed that Amazon.com now has this available for pre-order.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX91NIU

:gimme:

After the great Skeletool Fiasco of 2008 I really hate preorders.

For those that don't recall, folks preordered Skeletools online months before the release date, and when that date came and went, folks were buying them off the shelves at Home Depot while the folks who had preordered them were still waiting.

Your mileage may vary, but I'll be waiting until someone has them in stock before I plunk down money.

Def

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #114 on: October 27, 2016, 01:24:34 AM
In response to an earlier comment, I think the last time a new release from one of the MT manufacturers had overwhelmingly positive vibes was the Rebar. Sure, there was a few mud flinging dissenters like me, but on the whole there was excitement.

There had been the gun specific MUT with it's odd features that nobody actually wanted, swathes of one piece tools for obscure sports that hardly anyone does, and a pair of overpriced folding scissors which were not sanitary enough for their supposed audience - and then suddenly, and actually useable and desirable (allegedly) tool came out. An everyday pocketable sized version of a tool that many liked. Everyone got excited, and then took them apart to put the scissors in that Leatherman should have put in themselves, or bought them just to rob the heads off them and fit them in a Wave, oblivious to the fact that Leatherman was grinning about this because you had to buy two tools to make one that you actually wanted......

I do expect this Centre Drive to have a mixed reception. I also expect that some people might not really catch onto the concept till later - much like some people do with the MP600. They write it off because it's not made by who they think the best tools should be made by (according to the internet), and doesn't have fancy tools or sleek look ..... then they finally try one, and realise they're a tank of a tool, and those flicky pliers are really handy. I hope this will be another one of the tools that can stand the test of time, and not suddenly disappear from the catalogue 2 years after it's release. I also hope the file has teeth on the edge this time.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #115 on: October 27, 2016, 02:24:09 AM
:rofl:
IMG_8106.jpg
* IMG_8106.jpg (Filesize: 132.94 KB)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #116 on: October 27, 2016, 02:49:44 AM
Ok, that's hilarious!

Def

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #117 on: October 27, 2016, 05:49:27 PM
This looks really nice. I am a little unsure of the "liner" locks for the blade and but driver. They look awfully small to handle much load. I guess having the tool in hand will tell more

I also wonder if the thumb test lock thing is plastic? If so, how durable will it be?

If the Amazon pre order price is accurate, I'm not a fan. Seems a bit much compared to others.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #118 on: October 27, 2016, 05:56:12 PM
This looks really nice. I am a little unsure of the "liner" locks for the blade and but driver. They look awfully small to handle much load. I guess having the tool in hand will tell more

I also wonder if the thumb test lock thing is plastic? If so, how durable will it be?

If the Amazon pre order price is accurate, I'm not a fan. Seems a bit much compared to others.
as for the price, it's not really that much more than a Wave https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-Multi-Tool-Stainless-Leather-Sheath/dp/B000JCN6C8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477583457&sr=8-2&keywords=leatherman+wave

I would expect the price to lower once it hits the secondary market.

As for the plastic lock you are talking about, if you meant the plastic thumb ramp on the inside tool side, It is a modification of Gerber's established SafT Lock mechanism from their MP600 series, and is very reliable (plus, the plastic is just a cover for ergonomics, the load bearing components are all metal).
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #119 on: October 31, 2016, 09:42:24 PM
:rofl:

It's still there today...LOL

The price is down 10%, though.

GCD1.jpg
* GCD1.jpg (Filesize: 203.95 KB)

Donations