Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why do you still wear a watch when you can look at your phone?

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
A remarkably common question, even more common when the watch being worn is an expensive mechanical watch.

Here's an article from the Guardian that may shed some light on it

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/oct/19/luxury-watch-industry-survive-digital-age
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Why do you still wear a watch when you can look at your phone?
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 02:54:25 PM
Birds like it...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 03:11:27 PM
For me, it's a kind of honest simplicity. A watch should be a watch, a knife should be a knife, a hat should be a hat.

If I want to cut something, I don't want to take my multitool, open it up, select the right tool, close it, use it, and then go through the process in reverse - I just reach for my knife. Likewise, if I want to know the time, I don't want to reach for my phone, open the case, and press the button to turn the screensaver off, when I can get the same result by just turning my wrist 90 degrees. (that said, I have been wearing a half hunter a lot more lately)

Personally, I don't really "get" the jewellery aspect. I seldom notice other people's watches, and don't care that much whether they notice mine. It's there for my enjoyment, and there to serve a function, and while I'll choose something reasonably presentable, I buy cheap. I'm of a similar nature with the accuracy too. Near enough is near enough, just as I like my knives to be sharp enough rather than chasing finely honed mirror finish precision.

A watch just feels like the right tool for the job, even if it doesn't do it any better than the phone. However I don't much care about the calibre of that tool, just that it tells me what I need to know  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 03:20:10 PM
For me, it's a kind of honest simplicity. A watch should be a watch, a knife should be a knife, a hat should be a hat.

If I want to cut something, I don't want to take my multitool, open it up, select the right tool, close it, use it, and then go through the process in reverse - I just reach for my knife. Likewise, if I want to know the time, I don't want to reach for my phone, open the case, and press the button to turn the screensaver off, when I can get the same result by just turning my wrist 90 degrees. (that said, I have been wearing a half hunter a lot more lately)

Personally, I don't really "get" the jewellery aspect. I seldom notice other people's watches, and don't care that much whether they notice mine. It's there for my enjoyment, and there to serve a function, and while I'll choose something reasonably presentable, I buy cheap. I'm of a similar nature with the accuracy too. Near enough is near enough, just as I like my knives to be sharp enough rather than chasing finely honed mirror finish precision.

A watch just feels like the right tool for the job, even if it doesn't do it any better than the phone. However I don't much care about the calibre of that tool, just that it tells me what I need to know  :)

I agree, I don't wear any of my watches for the sake of jewellery either, I only have one piece of jewellery and that was given to me by my grandmother.

I wear them because I like well made items items that will last, I get my own satisfaction out of wearing them. Most people don't notice.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 03:36:41 PM
Mine aren't generally well made, and don't tend to last  :rofl: I'm usually quit happy if I get 3 to 5 years out of the POS watches I buy  :D

I have one nice watch, which I do actually consider jewellery, a gold plated mechanical Rotary pocket watch. That has probably had less than 2 weeks total use, and only comes out on formal occasions. Everything else is cheap. I think it comes from breaking too many watches as a kid.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 08:27:11 PM
Reading the time from a watch is not considered rude during a formal ocasion.
Try doing so on a phone...

Watches (mine atleast) are a piece of art.
Handmade with the highest precision.

They remind me of older times, before all the tech was available.

They make me respect our ancestors and what they were able to achieve in times without power.

The analog watches can be used as a compass (your phone too untill your battery is dead)

They can be the finishing touch on an outfit.

They make you look more sophisticated.

Leave your knife/multitool at home... you will make it through the day. So it's not a MUST have. Why do you carry it?
Because you like it, it's convenient and you feel incomplete without it.

A watch = the same for an enthousiast.

Do I need to continue?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G388F met Tapatalk

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 09:03:58 PM
A watch is way more portable than a phone, and can be waterproof. Phones can run out of power in a day. I hate my phone (except for taking pictures with) but I love my watch (Citizen Eco Drive).

I can go out for a quiet walk and no one tries to contact me on my watch.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 09:08:29 PM
I think you both have nailed it  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 09:42:43 PM
Very good responses  :like:

I wont stop wearing a watch since for my its goes unnoticed till I require the time.  My phone is good at doing many tasks but I have to be mindful of battery life.  My solar GShocks are invincible ( ok thats a stretch ) but I've not had to change a battery in a good long while.  I use alarms on my watch and my phone but when I put my phone into my pocket ( cargo ) I don't always hear it.  My watch unlike my phone is not cumbersome.  I have hands free usage of my watch which is a terrific convenience vs my phone.  I works around water so it's not always "easy" to check the time with my phone.

I cannot always just take out my phone to check time.  I'm lazy I guess and other times my hands are busy or dirty or otherwise not in suitable to hold my phone. 

Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 12:52:23 AM
My watch is an extension of my phone.  I highly suggest everyone avoid smart watches like the plague, as after you have worn one for a while you may not be able to go back to a regular watch!   :ahhh

When my first Pebble broke, I can't honestly tell you how often I looked at my ZA1 or my Seiko Orange Monster or one of my G Shocks to see who was texting me only to realize that I didn't have a smart watch on.   :facepalm:

But in the end, I like my watches, even the plain old dive watches, automatics and quartzes.  They are watches, and if I only did the things I needed to do then I wouldn't have a Jeep when a Kia Rio hatchback would do me for most of what I do and a lot cheaper.  I wouldn't have much of the clothing I have, instead I'd just have a functional burlap jumpsuit.  I wouldn't have the SAKs, the multitools, the tablet or some of the other extravagances I have in life and personalize my world to make it pleasant for me.

And I probably wouldn't have my giant dog, although she does serve a purpose too, even though admittedly most of her job is making sure the couch doesn't float away.  I'm not sure that would be worth the excessive food bill. 

In short, I wear a watch because I bloody well want to, and it makes me happy.  I'd survive without a watch, the same way Zoidberg would survive with just a generic Planet Express discount health coverage replacement shell.

But survival is one thing, and living is another.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 02:53:19 AM
I don't think any of us fall into that Clique of people.

We all have nice watches to wear on town on special occasions but I would guess everyone here is value over fashion. Utilitarian always takes precedence....

Me personally? I don't always have a phone on my. Since ridding social media I may be the only student in class who doesn't have their phone out every second. I also can't carry my phone on my at work, or while fishing, or at the gym. More often than not if I'm not home my truck gets more use of my phone than I do.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 03:51:52 AM

I agree, I don't wear any of my watches for the sake of jewellery either, I only have one piece of jewellery and that was given to me by my grandmother.

I wear them because I like well made items items that will last, I get my own satisfaction out of wearing them. Most people don't notice.

Oh God, now I'm agreeing with both Al AND Mark! :facepalm: What have I become? :ahhh
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 11:57:13 AM
I am mostly utilitarian as well. I have a ton of jewelry that my parents gave me and/or inherited. My father was big into gold. I myself can't stand wearing any of it. I do like a good quality watch though. As for using cell phones, I tossed mine away, and after the daily struggle with students, my thoughts on cell phones have taken a negative dip since then.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 12:47:36 PM

Oh God, now I'm agreeing with both Al AND Mark! :facepalm: What have I become? :ahhh

Slippery the slope is...

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 10:09:35 PM
My cellphone stays at home more often than not. It's just a replacement for the old Bell of 50 years ago. Consequently, I'm always wearing a watch.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 10:17:53 PM
I am mostly utilitarian as well. I have a ton of jewelry that my parents gave me and/or inherited. My father was big into gold. I myself can't stand wearing any of it. I do like a good quality watch though. As for using cell phones, I tossed mine away, and after the daily struggle with students, my thoughts on cell phones have taken a negative dip since then.
Whoa. So let us get this straight. You have NO cell phone?!

I applaud you my friend.  :salute:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 11:31:37 PM
I simply hate my mobile phone. Not the manufactuter or the model, but the idea, be it useful as it may.
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 06:59:48 AM
I simply hate my mobile phone. Not the manufactuter or the model, but the idea, be it useful as it may.
My dad has the same thoughts.
if he goes out, he WANTS to be unreachable.
So he only uses the landline at home.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 02:44:48 PM
My father felt that way too.

Then one day he was out walking his dog on the trail they always walk on, a trail he has been on literally thousands of times, the trail they walked every morning and he fell and broke his leg.

If he hadn't had his phone, which he only carried to placate my mother, he would have had to drag himself a lot further than he did to get help.

Get and carry your phones people.  You don't have to be tied to them like many people are, but they can be the difference between getting help when you need it and having to saw your arm off and walk back to civilization.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 04:01:52 PM
My father felt that way too.

Then one day he was out walking his dog on the trail they always walk on, a trail he has been on literally thousands of times, the trail they walked every morning and he fell and broke his leg.

If he hadn't had his phone, which he only carried to placate my mother, he would have had to drag himself a lot further than he did to get help.

Get and carry your phones people.  You don't have to be tied to them like many people are, but they can be the difference between getting help when you need it and having to saw your arm off and walk back to civilization.

Def
Unless your arm is stuck between a rock and the crevasse wall, so there is no signal...

Good point though.
have to admit my dad grabs my mom's phone when he's out on his own. Even though he doesn't know texting options.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 04:04:53 PM
So far, a watch has proved slightly more reliable than a phone under water, and is less likely to slip and sink to the briny depths  ::)

Don't tell me how to live  :P

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 04:13:18 PM

So far, a watch has proved slightly more reliable than a phone under water, and is less likely to slip and sink to the briny depths  ::)

Don't tell me how to live 

Best of both worlds:

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G388F met Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 04:23:01 PM

Don't tell me how to live  :P

Or in a worst case scenario, how to not live because you can't call for help?  :P

Def

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 04:54:58 PM
I like the feeling of wearing a watch and it just works for me. Easier to flick the wrist and look at it then trying to pry my phone out of my pocket.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 08:03:47 PM
I wear a watch because I wore them before I had a cell phone.  And I like looking at my watches.

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 10:03:38 PM

Sorry boss, but that's missing my point here - I do have and carry my little s*t, and of course have it with me whenever outdoors, but rarely in a mode or mood so I could use it as a watch.

It' just like an emergency beacon or mobile phonebox, and neither are apting watches ;-)

Tomcat

(Btw - at the moment, more people seem to die because of their phones than are rescued by them. So get and carry your phones, but NOT in your hand ;-) )

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:16:36 PM by Tomcat_81 »
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 11:35:00 PM
my watch still works when my phone's battery dies.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: October 23, 2016, 01:52:21 AM
Yours too huh?

Def

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: October 23, 2016, 02:04:44 AM
But does your phone still work when your watch battery dies?  :think:

:facepalm:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #29 on: October 23, 2016, 03:04:17 AM
But does your phone still work when your watch battery dies?  :think:

:facepalm:

There's a way around that - wear an automatic. ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%