Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why do you still wear a watch when you can look at your phone?

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Why do you still wear a watch when you can look at your phone?
Reply #30 on: October 23, 2016, 07:50:54 AM
Quote from: Def
Or in a worst case scenario, how to not live because you can't call for help?
Heard about the guy who fell off a 10 storey building? On his way past each floor, the people could hear him saying "So far so good".
So far so good  :D

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #31 on: October 23, 2016, 06:04:59 PM
i find it easier and more natural to look at my wrist and i love watches!
I

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: October 23, 2016, 06:23:23 PM
:imws:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #33 on: October 24, 2016, 10:22:11 PM
:imws:
And there are so many versatile watches to choose from. Another great tool  :tu:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 12:38:28 AM
Reading the time from a watch is not considered rude during a formal ocasion.  ??? ??? ???
Try doing so on a phone...

Watches (mine atleast) are a piece of art.
Handmade with the highest precision.

They remind me of older times, before all the tech was available.

They make me respect our ancestors and what they were able to achieve in times without power.

The analog watches can be used as a compass (your phone too untill your battery is dead)

They can be the finishing touch on an outfit.

They make you look more sophisticated.

Leave your knife/multitool at home... you will make it through the day. So it's not a MUST have. Why do you carry it?
Because you like it, it's convenient and you feel incomplete without it.

A watch = the same for an enthousiast.

Do I need to continue?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G388F met Tapatalk

Is as rude, because it means you want leave...

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: October 25, 2016, 12:38:53 AM
Reading the time from a watch is not considered rude during a formal ocasion.  ??? ??? ???

They make me respect our ancestors and what they were able to achieve in times without power.

The analog watches can be used as a compass (your phone too untill your battery is dead)

Leave your knife/multitool at home... you will make it through the day. So it's not a MUST have. Why do you carry it?

Do I need to continue?

it is rude too, because it means you want leave...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #36 on: October 25, 2016, 01:41:58 AM
^^^^ This!

Black tie today is considered formal, but formal used to be white tie, and black tie was actually dressing down. Despite this it was considered rude to even wear a wrist watch, as this meant that you were more concerned with your own schedule than that of your host. A pocket watch was considered acceptable worn as an accessory, but again considered rude to look at the time in the presence of others.

How many here can actually tie a bow tie? I can  :D

However, looking at your phone is definitely worse. Observers don't know if you're checking how long you've got left till the bar shuts or till your last train/bus leaves, or whether you're bored out of your mind and checking your social media accounts for something to pass the time.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: October 25, 2016, 02:53:08 AM
Sometimes having a watch to look at when you need an excuse to get out of a situation is extremely valuable. Let's not underestimate that aspect of a wrist watch too!

We all know "those people"... oh, well would you look at the time  :D
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: October 26, 2016, 09:46:00 PM

Do I need to continue?

Is as rude, because it means you want leave...
Even if it's just as rude, it can be done way more discrete with a wrissmurfch then with a phone.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: October 31, 2016, 03:32:53 PM
^^^^ This!

Black tie today is considered formal, but formal used to be white tie, and black tie was actually dressing down. Despite this it was considered rude to even wear a wrist watch, as this meant that you were more concerned with your own schedule than that of your host. A pocket watch was considered acceptable worn as an accessory, but again considered rude to look at the time in the presence of others.

However, looking at your phone is definitely worse. Observers don't know if you're checking how long you've got left till the bar shuts or till your last train/bus leaves, or whether you're bored out of your mind and checking your social media accounts for something to pass the time.

+1, of course it's rude to check your watch, but it's much worse to check the time on your phone (not to mention less inconspicuous).

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #40 on: October 31, 2016, 08:57:09 PM
^^^^ This!

+1, of course it's rude to check your watch, but it's much worse to check the time on your phone (not to mention less inconspicuous).

I've always been a complete Git (smurfhead) when it comes to this;

1. No laptops in a meeting unless you are giving a presentation. If I needed information from you for the meeting you better have provided me with it before hand!
2. No phones, unless you have told me before hand there is a good reason for you to have it on you (family emergencies etc). Phones stay in the ante room. There is a another reason for this as well.

Looking at your watch is fine (as long as it's not a smart watch). The universal law of meetings is that more than 2 people are involved it WILL overrun!
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #41 on: November 06, 2016, 08:01:42 PM
I wear a watch because there are times when I can't or won't look at my phone for whatever reason, times when I can wear a watch without issue in conditions that would kill my phone (for example, in a swimming pool), and because I like them. They make me smile.

I've also worn a watch longer than I've owned a cell phone, so it's also a bit of a holdover from those pre-phone days.

I'm resisting smarsmurfches. I'm happy for the people that like them- good for them- but I prefer my watch to just be a watch. I hardly ever use even the extra functions on a digital watch, and I wouldn't like having to charge my watch nightly to keep it going. I can deal with a handwind movement, but even then I eventually go back to a quartz or an automatic so I don't have to worry about it.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #42 on: November 06, 2016, 08:40:11 PM
I haven't worn one for 20 years but i am interested in getting a pocket watch.  Just because I think they are cool.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #44 on: November 07, 2016, 04:21:19 AM
1, I can wear my watch in the shower, the pool, the hot tub. My phone is rightly scared of all of the above.

2, I sometimes go to places and do things were if you have your phone, it MUST be turned off. My watch doesn't care.

3, My phone doesn't want to be exposed to sub-zero weather. At all. My hands can't take as much of it as my watch can, but both can hold out longer than my phone.

4. If my watch breaks, I'll be annoyed. If my phone breaks, I'd probably cry. I am ashamed to admit that, and feel that I should be made to stand in the corner with a pointy hat on.

5. Real men can read a clock. A watch with HANDS. Not a digital, but a real smurfing clock face. Not only do I wear a watch, it has no LCD in it. The clock in my phone has the clock face selected. Why? Because I can read that faster than I can the numbers of a digital display. Reading a watch face is a skill, just like tieing your shoes or wiping your bum.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 04:30:15 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #45 on: November 07, 2016, 12:57:52 PM
^^^^ This!

I've always been a complete Git (smurfhead) when it comes to this;

1. No laptops in a meeting unless you are giving a presentation. If I needed information from you for the meeting you better have provided me with it before hand!
2. No phones, unless you have told me before hand there is a good reason for you to have it on you (family emergencies etc). Phones stay in the ante room. There is a another reason for this as well.

Looking at your watch is fine (as long as it's not a smart watch). The universal law of meetings is that more than 2 people are involved it WILL overrun!

I think I know what the other reason is.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

england Offline Kev D

Reply #46 on: November 07, 2016, 03:52:22 PM
To tell the time in the many many many  :facepalm: meetings I go to at work. Checking the time on a phone is seen as playing on your phone in a meeting and ends up with a bollocking off the boss. Wearing a watch saves on the tediousness of explaining yet again I was just checking the time, and no I'm not bored, and yes I was paying attention, and no I don't want that action for not paying attention.... you get the idea

Plus g-shocks rock and I love all the functions on it so sit and play with them in said meetings  :D  I think trying to get the stopwatch to stop dead on a second with 00 tenths and hundredths (spelling  :think:) is the most boredom averting one
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:54:57 PM by Kevin Davey »

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #47 on: November 18, 2016, 01:37:59 AM
Children look at their phones.  Adults have a watch.  It is part of being properly dressed.  If you wear a suit to an interview/meeting, but you're looking at your phone for the time (instead of having had the courtesy of turning the phone off during the interview/meeting) I'm going to think you're immature and that I don't have your full attention.  I know full well that in this frenetic, modern world we live in it is almost impossible to ever have someone's full attention anymore, but we can at least pretend can't we?

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/09/28/mans-guide-wrissmurfches-history-wear-one/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/29/watches-worth-wearing_n_4675182.html

You will have to copy and paste the link to the Article above from the Art of Manliness website yourself so you can change wrissmurfches back to the proper word, otherwise you'll never find it due to the nannyware.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:45:26 AM by Alan K. »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #48 on: November 18, 2016, 09:54:53 AM
I can use my watch for other things than time, like the alarm. More convenient than my phone.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline docfossil

Reply #49 on: December 30, 2016, 02:38:30 AM
Far more easy to take someones pulse using one hand and a watch than using a cell phone.

Also, quicker to check the time by looking at ones watch than always pulling out a phone.

That said my EDC is my Vic Ranger, Sinn 103 chronograph, Fisher Space Pen, and cell phone.
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #50 on: December 31, 2016, 08:27:38 PM
I think all of us have managed to post some pretty compelling reasons to stick to wearing a watch despite the phone.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: December 31, 2016, 08:32:08 PM
I can say confidently that my phone has not and will not replace my watch or a watch for that matter. 

I am wearing a mechanical 17 jewel watch today and its sublime.  The ticking of the gears is mesmerizing.  I love my Gshocks as well since I can put them on and forget about whatever it is I am doing that day.  Take your phone with you and see if you can do that!  Bet you can't. 

I put on my watch and dont worry about weather, activity, or it working under most if not all conditions.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: December 31, 2016, 09:45:27 PM
As my phone is waterproof, dust proof etc, and the case makes it quite drop proof, I don't worry too much about where I take it or what I do with it.  Even so, a watch is a lot easier to look at when it is cold or rainy out and your phone is tucked away.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: January 01, 2017, 04:50:22 PM
I know there are cases that are pretty good at keeping the phone safe.  Water proof phones are certainly getting better.  Thing is, strap a watch to a wrist and there is never any consideration as to length of time under water.  No need to consider how to carry it.  Take a fall and sure the case will protect the phone but it can be lost while taking tumble, its not likely a watch can "just" fall off. 

I wonder how many times a phone has been left behind when placed down?  Not likely happen with a watch.  I think most tend to be babysitters to their phones in some ways.  You have to carry the phone somehow.  Pocket, purse, bag, clipped to pants, etc.  I end up seeing many people carrying them. 

As I've said my phone is a mobile office for me.  I need my phone for business and must carry one.  Its saved my bacon on many occasions and has become a wonderful tool for me. 

A watch is something that once put on does it job IMO effortlessly.

Lot of "work" babysitting a phone.  I dare anyone to not baby sit their phone and see how long it stays charged  :pok:.

My solar Gshocks just need a little light which in Cali is no big chore.  I also have some that have lived off a battery for many years.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: January 04, 2017, 02:27:57 AM
I tried a Lifeproof case and I am not impressed.  I paid $80 for it and it was broken in less than three months, affected the sound quality of the phone and made it impossible to access the phone itself to change the memory card.  It was absolute crap, and I'll never waste my money on one of those pieces of crap again.

Def

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #55 on: March 07, 2017, 12:33:58 AM
I'm using an iPhone 7+ but I'm still using a watch -- I don't always have my phone "unholstered" (unless playing Pokemon Go  :rofl: ) so it's easier to tell the time by just glancing at my wrist. 

Add to that the fact that in my neck of the woods, a mobile phone is "hot" to the eyes so there are times where you'd rather not take out your phone from your pocket. The best fake watches still cost a fraction of the worst smartphones so watches don't catch as much attention as phones.

Using a Casio GWG-1000 so it can take a bump, ding and dip better than an iPhone 7+, not that I'd want it to happen to either one. Watch is also solar powered so it'll be tickin' as long as the sun is shinin'. 

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #56 on: March 07, 2017, 09:46:13 PM
Can you believe it, my old phone died after only eight years.
Got the same model again ( can take take calls, write short messages, play music and take pictures, but is incapable of anything more demanding) to prove it was made for such a short lifetime.

Meanwhile my watch, which has accompanied me for the last 20 years, still keeps on ticking strong ;-)

Tomcat
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: March 11, 2017, 04:22:41 PM
I find it easier to just flick my wrist over to see what time it is than pull out my phone from my pocket. I actually just the hourly chime on my phone to keep things easy. I just listen for the chime.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD