Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The test.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The test.
Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 09:44:10 PM
Some interesting info.   :tu:

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 22, 2016, 07:29:54 PM
Today we have a clear winner. I started out cutting wet Lether gloves. Both knifes started out razor sharp but after a little more then half way the PE Trekker started to fail. The serated Soldier finished the PE glove then tore up it's own glove. Tords the end of the glove test the plain section of the serrated blade became almost useless because it got so dull but the serations still sawed through but it took more force to do it.

This next test I did NOT sharpen eather blade. Rubber weather striping folded to four layers.  The PE cut it but it took a lot more force to cut. The serated edge was easyer but still took a lot more force. At this point the PE section on the Soldier was perty useless giving you only the serrations to saw through it. At This point the serrations are clearly working.

Next came wet nylon strap. Folding in half to cut both blade's cut the wet nylon but the serations did a better job. So let's make it more interesting. I tied a knot in the strap and tried to cut it with the PE. The PE failed to cut the knot. It didn't even make it through the first layer. This knife is done. The serrations on the Soldier where able to saw through three more knots before I stopped. I'll be spending all afternoon sharpening both knifes but even dull the serations worked.
IMG_20161022_093842.jpg
* IMG_20161022_093842.jpg (Filesize: 135.63 KB)
IMG_20161022_094215.jpg
* IMG_20161022_094215.jpg (Filesize: 142.25 KB)
IMG_20161022_094533.jpg
* IMG_20161022_094533.jpg (Filesize: 140.76 KB)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:17:36 PM by gene stoner »
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 22, 2016, 07:40:10 PM
 In my experience serrated are much better option when cutting anything on a hard surface like porcelain (or china or however it is called and/or spelled). I see a lot of people using knives like the Laguiole for eating but I really don't like the idea because of their non serrated edge. To me that is where serrated really shines, but it's just my opinion.

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #33 on: October 22, 2016, 07:41:21 PM
This is great information!  I really appreciate your willingness to put the blades to the test; especially since sharpening serrations is not an easy task ( I think).  Up until now, I didn't think I'd see much use for serrations (especially fine work).  Thanks! :like:

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: October 22, 2016, 07:46:24 PM
This firs pic shows here the PE failed to cut. The PE section on the serrated was done at this point but the serations kept going and going. Sorry some of pics suck I'm using a broken tablet to do this.
IMG_20161022_095055.jpg
* IMG_20161022_095055.jpg (Filesize: 136.54 KB)
IMG_20161022_095221.jpg
* IMG_20161022_095221.jpg (Filesize: 125.09 KB)

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: October 22, 2016, 08:06:40 PM
I'm thinking I should do some carving and fire prep to help give an idea of outdoor survival/ Bushcraft duties. What do you guys think? What do you want me cut? Give me what you think may be real world cutting task?
IMG_20161022_094728.jpg
* IMG_20161022_094728.jpg (Filesize: 160.51 KB)

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: October 22, 2016, 08:29:03 PM
This is great information!  I really appreciate your willingness to put the blades to the test; especially since sharpening serrations is not an easy task ( I think).  Up until now, I didn't think I'd see much use for serrations (especially fine work).  Thanks! :like:

If you follow my instructions on page one you'll see the Vic serated blade is just as easy as a PE to sharpen.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: October 22, 2016, 08:34:24 PM
Really enjoying this thread!!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #38 on: October 22, 2016, 10:24:02 PM
Really enjoying this thread!!

Absolutely! Me too.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: October 24, 2016, 09:51:15 PM
I have a few minutes before it rains here and have really wanted to try some fire prep with both knifes. The fist pic show the difference between the two knives. On the left is the serated and PE of the Soldier on the right is the nice curl's of the PE Trekker. Clearly the PE Trekker makes better curls which usually makes easyer fire. When your using the serated blade it's very hard to get those very nice curls even when you use the back PE section. With only an 1 1/4 inch of PE it's hard to get nice curls.
One thing I have realised is that back chisle grind PE on the Soldier makes a better scraper then the Trekkers PE. Overall I would say the PE makes better fuzz sticks then the serated. Now that's not to say you can't use the serrated blade for fizz sticks it's just easier with the PE.

If you are planning on using the serated blade for outdoor activities or wilderness survival. You really need to practice with it. It's not just the serations that make it a challenge but the chisle grind can take some getting use to. One of the first times I used my Soldier was to make sticks for roasting hotdogs. Not being use to the chisle grind when I went to strip the bark off the stick I ended up slicing the stick in two. I don't care how good you are at making nice perfect shavings with a PE SAK the serated chisle grind is a completely different creater and requires practice. I hope this helps some of you.

More to come.

IMG_20161024_093520.jpg
* IMG_20161024_093520.jpg (Filesize: 128.44 KB)
IMG_20161024_092735.jpg
* IMG_20161024_092735.jpg (Filesize: 142.23 KB)
IMG_20161024_093826.jpg
* IMG_20161024_093826.jpg (Filesize: 144.78 KB)
IMG_20161024_093321.jpg
* IMG_20161024_093321.jpg (Filesize: 151.03 KB)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:01:55 PM by gene stoner »

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #40 on: October 24, 2016, 11:05:59 PM
Good info there :tu:

I tried out my Soldier 2008 for the first time on some bamboo stems cut the previous day. I was removing their little branches with the Soldier and I realised some things, like:

- Not ideal for the task this knife but it can be made to work

- I sure need to get used to how to handle this knife

- I must be very careful when using this knife... At some point the knife slipped and went through a stem thicker than my ring finger like if it weren't there :o
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: October 24, 2016, 11:16:57 PM
Good info there :tu:

I tried out my Soldier 2008 for the first time on some bamboo stems cut the previous day. I was removing their little branches with the Soldier and I realised some things, like:

- Not ideal for the task this knife but it can be made to work

- I sure need to get used to how to handle this knife

- I must be very careful when using this knife... At some point the knife slipped and went through a stem thicker than my ring finger like if it weren't there :o

I completely understand what you're saying. I've been practicing with mine alot for almost two year's. I figured if I'm going to carry it I better be able use. Which is one of the reasons I started this test.

IMG_20161024_092924.jpg
* IMG_20161024_092924.jpg (Filesize: 144.97 KB)

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #42 on: October 28, 2016, 08:57:13 PM
This is a great thread, thank you !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #43 on: November 02, 2016, 09:29:59 AM
BTW I'm considering getting a Swisstool Spirit XC - this is the one with the blunt-tipped serrated "butter knife", I was wondering, though, are the serrations on this knife also as good as the ones on the knives discussed earlier in this thread? Are they (relatively) easy to sharpen? Would the round sharpener on a Lansky Medic be suitable to sharpen them, or is such a sharpener not necessary (I already have a Spyderco Sharpmaker)?:

"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #44 on: November 02, 2016, 09:54:41 AM
Vic steel is soft so if I were using the diamond coated tapered thingy on it I'd do so very lightly.

As for the Spirit's butterknife blade, it works great for it's size (but I wouldn't want to do any whittling with it :dwts:).
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

nl Offline spydutch

Reply #45 on: November 02, 2016, 10:00:50 AM
Thanx much for sharing your test  :like: :tu: :salute:

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: November 02, 2016, 10:04:22 AM
@Oxford
Do yer self a HUGE favor and snap up one of these for free hand touch ups.  :tu:
link: around $12 new shipped in USA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Sharpener-TRIANGLE-Ceramic-File-400F1T-NEW-/321044210160?hash=item4abfb9e1f0:m:mvgqvl0wlesvyW9j8Wv7KZA

or for yer all around needs, BETTER yet , grab the "Sharp Maker" kit
link: around $40 used or around $60 new shipped in USA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-TRI-ANGLE-SHARPMAKER-KNIFE-SHARPENING-KIT-/182339170850?hash=item2a7442f222:g:2eoAAOSwo4pYGKf2
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #47 on: November 02, 2016, 11:52:30 AM
@Oxford
Do yer self a HUGE favor and snap up one of these for free hand touch ups.  :tu:
link: around $12 new shipped in USA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/S...m:mvgqvl0wlesvyW9j8Wv7KZA

or for yer all around needs, BETTER yet , grab the "Sharp Maker" kit
link: around $40 used or around $60 new shipped in USA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/S...42f222:g:2eoAAOSwo4pYGKf2

As I said, I already have a Spyderco Sharpmaker (with just the standard two sets of rods).is this suitable for sharpening the aérations?
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: November 03, 2016, 05:42:46 AM
 :facepalm: I missed the part where ya said you already have the SPYDERCO SharpMaker  :facepalm:  :-[

Yep , you are Golden my friend....... IMPO - best unit and stone material,grits,and shapes for the job. Mr. Sal Glesser made these units with Serrations in mind.  :tu:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #49 on: November 03, 2016, 09:22:15 AM
:facepalm: I missed the part where ya said you already have the SPYDERCO SharpMaker  :facepalm: :-[

Yep , you are Golden my friend....... IMPO - best unit and stone material,grits,and shapes for the job. Mr. Sal Glesser made these units with Serrations in mind.  :tu:

How do you use it to sharpen the serrations on the Swisstool Spirit blade, do you need to use on the rod corners or with the rods flat to the blade?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #50 on: November 03, 2016, 09:50:29 AM
The Victorinox Dual-Knife Sharpener (https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Accessories/Dual-Knife-Sharpener/p/4.3323) works very well on the Spirit serrations - the elliptical sharpening rod makes it easy to sharpen one entire notch at a time.

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: November 03, 2016, 10:26:01 AM
:facepalm: I missed the part where ya said you already have the SPYDERCO SharpMaker  :facepalm: :-[

How do you use it to sharpen the serrations on the Swisstool Spirit blade, do you need to use on the rod corners or with the rods flat to the blade?

Serrations = on corners  :tu:

found this vid on the Tube.... guy uses Sharpmaker to sharpen a serrated spirit.  :D

And "THE MAN" himself
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:32:29 AM by cali-SAK-attack »

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #52 on: November 03, 2016, 10:32:18 AM

Okay, great!

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: November 03, 2016, 10:33:17 AM
I updated my comment w/ vids ^^  :tu:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #54 on: November 03, 2016, 11:55:37 AM
I updated my comment w/ vids ^^  :tu:

Thanks!  :salute:

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #55 on: November 03, 2016, 02:35:29 PM
Great thread, a lot of good practical information. I'm feeling less afraid of using and sharpening my serrated blades. Thank you Gene!
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: November 03, 2016, 03:01:30 PM
Great thread, a lot of good practical information. I'm feeling less afraid of using and sharpening my serrated blades. Thank you Gene!

Glad I could help. I still plan on doing more testing but I'm doing the 111mm challenge and can only use my Soldier for the month or Nov.

Had an interesting thing happened the other day but could not take a pic at the time.
I was slicing some Turkey kielbasa sausage with my Soldier and the serrations cloged up with meat and failed to cut. Anyone ever experience a problem like this? Sorry I didn't have a camera to take a pic.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 03:03:08 PM by gene stoner »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #57 on: November 03, 2016, 07:23:51 PM
What a great thread!!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: April 01, 2020, 11:20:40 PM

found this vid on the Tube.... guy uses Sharpmaker to sharpen a serrated spirit.  :D

And "THE MAN" himself

This thread on serrations - excellent.
The video above on sharpening the Spirit serrations - useless...he doesn't actually demonstrate how to sharpen serrations "because that's the way it is".  Instead, he babbles on about "this that the other.. dadadadadada" for 13 minutes.   :twak:

This thread was recently linked to - and I read the whole thing because I have this question myself... what are Vic serrations got for, and what are they not so good for.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #59 on: April 02, 2020, 05:53:16 AM
Thanks for bringing this thread back to life, very good information indeed!  :tu:

I don‘t have a lot of SAKs with serrations, but i am always somewhat hesitant to use the ones i own, as I have no idea how to sharpen them properly. Will try some of the techniques discussed here!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%