Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Seat belt cutter sought

us Offline wonderwolf

Seat belt cutter sought
on: October 22, 2016, 12:41:36 AM
Long story short, new job is somewhat restrictive on "knives" but they insist on issueing us "box cutters" that are more dangerous than anything I've ever carried as far as the dull is dangerous factor goes.   So can't carry a pocket knife there but I do need a way to cut plastic wrap and the occasional nylon packing band.

Looking for low cost recommendations for large all metal seat belt/rope cutter type tools that could be used in this way.  I like the size of the ontario, would like the cutter edge to be pretty well protected as I keep them in either my back pocket or black jack pocket on the jeans.

Looking forward to seeing some more recommendations other than what I'm finding with a google search.
"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow" - The Edge

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Seat belt cutter sought
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 02:23:14 PM
I've carried a CRKT  KERT (Ray Kirk Raker Ring Tool) a lot and it goes through about anything. Mine cost about eight bucks.

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 12:12:09 PM
I've been carrying a Leatherman Z-rex for a couple years for exactly this use at work and it works perfectly!  Never even changed the blade yet.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 01:00:17 PM
Safe-ish-er?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 05:46:45 AM
Safe-ish-er?

(Image removed from quote.)
If thats the route you want to go, look into the Gerber EAB
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 07:47:38 PM
Safe-ish-er?

(Image removed from quote.)
If thats the route you want to go, look into the Gerber EAB

Absolutely +1 on the EAB; I find the regular model to be better suited to carrying than the Lite version, though I do have both for work.

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 02:01:57 AM
Hmmmm I do like that gerber folding knife...I'll have to give it some thought, I really don't like the fact we can't carry a knife in there but their hose their rules. And that would be a good work around.

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 08:07:46 PM
Ok so I was surprised when I went up to the supervisor to ask about "utility" blades and he says "here have one of the new ones" and hands me a  good size cutter, really sturdy and with what looks like a decent razor blade. It has "strap cutter" molded into the handle but its pretty much a 8" seat belt cutter.....I think I'll give this one a good shake down before I decide to get something else. May give it the paracord treatment to make it my own since things tend to walk off if you don't label or otherwise personalize your stuff.

Thanks for all the help guys. I probably will still be getting one of the smaller ones if for no other reason than to have it handy on my work keys just in case.  All I have on my work key fob besides the RFID key is my locker key and P-38 so some more mass would be welcome.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 09:36:33 PM
:worthless:

Offline Reese

Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 05:35:28 AM
Long story short, new job is somewhat restrictive on "knives" but they insist on issueing us "box cutters" that are more dangerous than anything I've ever carried as far as the dull is dangerous factor goes.   So can't carry a pocket knife there but I do need a way to cut plastic wrap and the occasional nylon packing band.

Looking for low cost recommendations for large all metal seat belt/rope cutter type tools that could be used in this way.  I like the size of the ontario, would like the cutter edge to be pretty well protected as I keep them in either my back pocket or black jack pocket on the jeans.

Looking forward to seeing some more recommendations other than what I'm finding with a google search.
those benchmade ring knives always looked good!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%