Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ebay Victorinox purchases from Russia in today's political environment?

us Offline sidpost

I'm seeing several hard to find knives from dealers in Russia I am interested in but, I am hesitant to buy from them.  With various sanctions and the general political climate, am I crazy considering an Ebay purchase through PayPal for items shipping from Russian with a 30~45 day transit time?

I know Russia and Europe had a lot of trade going on before the current issues started so, I'm hoping some of our forum friends can comment and either reassure me or send me running!  :)

I guess it is a combination of the crashing Ruble and their economy slowing down with low oil prices and various military activities but, it seems like a few distributors there may be stuck with a lot of unsold inventory so, it sure looks tempting.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Firstly there is a no politics policy on this forum, so Ill try to keep away from that.

I have bought items from Russia on several occations with no issues.  Shipping times have also been pretty quick. Faster than from China.

When buying from ebay, the reputation of the seller is more important than where he lives IMO.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline sidpost

Firstly there is a no politics policy on this forum, so Ill try to keep away from that.

Thanks for the clarification!  I had no intention of discussing the policies themselves beyond the acknowledgement that there are governmental policies that people may or may not agree with in place that could affect things like seizures at customs or unusually high import taxes.  Politics is a hot topic over here with a big election coming in about 2 weeks.

I have bought items from Russia on several occations with no issues.  Shipping times have also been pretty quick. Faster than from China.

When buying from ebay, the reputation of the seller is more important than where he lives IMO.

That's good to hear!  Shipping times seem to vary a bit with some sellers saying 15~30 days and others saying 45~60 days.  With shipping being so opaque and unclear to me, it was hard for me to tell if there would be issues with shipment within Russia and clearing Russian export customs or, if was literally a slow boat from Russia or, if the seller had some concerns with treatment with US Customs.

For myself with small numbers of packages so no good statistics or averages, Pacific Rim countries generally are 7 to 14 days to arrive at my door with China generally being 7 days more than that.  European shipments to me are so few I don't really have any time frames but, confidence is so high in the integrity of the postal systems fear of loss or confiscation or punitive customs import/export duties is non-existent.

Buyer protection from both Ebay and PayPal is pretty good so, there is reassurance there.  Ebay feedbacks are also a good indicator but, those can be 'gamed' and inflated by bad scammers.  There is also the feeling of if it's too good to be true, it must be a scam feeling.  So, being able to get a Victorinox Solo at my door for less than $20 is attractive when they are ~$40 out of South Africa, ~$60 out of Switzerland and, $30~$50 for used ones in the USA.

us Offline sidpost

Thanks for the clarification!  I had no intention of discussing the policies themselves beyond the acknowledgement that there are governmental policies that people may or may not agree with in place that could affect things like seizures at customs or unusually high import taxes.  Politics is a hot topic over here with a big election coming in about 2 weeks.

That's good to hear!  Shipping times seem to vary a bit with some sellers saying 15~30 days and others saying 45~60 days.  With shipping being so opaque and unclear to me, it was hard for me to tell if there would be issues with shipment within Russia and clearing Russian export customs or, if it was literally a slow boat from Russia or, if the seller had some concerns with treatment with US Customs.

For myself with small numbers of packages so no good statistics or averages, Pacific Rim countries generally are 7 to 14 days to arrive at my door with China generally being 7 days more than that.  European shipments to me are so few I don't really have any time frames but, confidence is so high in the integrity of the postal systems fear of loss or confiscation or punitive customs import/export duties is non-existent.

Buyer protection from both Ebay and PayPal is pretty good so, there is reassurance there.  Ebay feedbacks are also a good indicator but, those can be 'gamed' and inflated by bad scammers.  There is also the feeling of if it's too good to be true, it must be a scam feeling.  So, being able to get a Victorinox Solo at my door for less than $20 is attractive when they are ~$40 out of South Africa, ~$60 out of Switzerland and, $30~$50 for used ones in the USA.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:54:27 PM by sidpost »

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
I don´t understand your doubts  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

No problems in transactions with Russsia

NEVER!

us Offline sidpost

My concerns are mail theft and losses or possible problems with import/export restrictions considering the political climate right now.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Please don't let this step into politics
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline sidpost

Just to be clear and unambiguous, I'm not advocating a position for or against any political issue.  I just don't want to get burned after the fact if I buy something overseas and a political organization, person or, nation takes a negative view against me and robs me of my purchase.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?

Just to be clear and unambiguous, I'm not advocating a position for or against any political issue.  I just don't want to get burned after the fact if I buy something overseas and a political organization, person or, nation takes a negative view against me and robs me of my purchase.

I for one understood your concern was for your wallet and not politics.

As Others have said, use Flea Bay and rely on the buyer protection if things go pear shaped.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
My concerns are mail theft and losses or possible problems with import/export restrictions considering the political climate right now.

No more problems than in the shipments to Europe from USA.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
If shipping time > Paypal time limit for claims
then DON'T DO IT

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

gb Offline shibafu

Some detail on current sanctions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_sanctions_during_the_Ukrainian_crisis
US: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/ukraine.aspx
EU: https://europa.eu/newsroom/highlights/special-coverage/eu_sanctions_en

Shouldn't affect buying an SAK, except possibly if it is coming from within Crimea.  The sanctions are pretty specific, covering financial stuff like bonds/loans, and exports of arms and oil industry equipment.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
If shipping time > Paypal time limit for claims
then DON'T DO IT

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

This is probably the best response in the thread.  Answered and done!

nz Offline moonweasel

I'd be pretty concerned if shippng was 180 days

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59