Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Beware of credit card knives.

au Offline Gohard

• Leatherman fanatic!!
Beware of credit card knives.
on: October 24, 2016, 11:14:16 AM
Credit card knives capable of 'taking over plane' seized at airports

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/32991758

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:17:17 AM by Gohard »

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Beware of credit card knives.
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 11:27:26 AM
I believe Oz customs are treating them as a prohibited import as well - supposedly classified as a "concealed weapon" or some such.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 11:49:05 AM
"It's sounds almost harmless but in the wrong hands a credit card knife could be a weapon of mass destruction on a plane," he said.

Fear is what "takes over a plane", not a knife.

If I can persuade the pilot (and copilot, and staff, and all the passengers) that I'm deadly with a set of keys, or a toothpick, then I can take over the plane.

Aside from what I can achieve with all the perfectly (currently) legal to fly items - The classier airlines use metal cutlery anyway.

But, Australians (or Australian Politicians) have never been anything if not terminally ignorant and alarmist, so by all means - Creditcard knives are the new smallpox.

::)

(Having said that - All these people should really know the current laws, and it's not exactly a secret about what you can't take on a plane these days, so whilst I'm not a believer than this is the devils own work, I don't think anyone who got their stuff confiscated has much of a leg to stand on - It wouldn't have killed them to put it in checked baggage, or leave it at home)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 01:18:26 PM
Show content
It's sounds almost harmless but in the wrong hands a credit card knife could be a weapon of mass destruction on a plane

Thank you for keeping us safe.  :salute:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 11:44:16 AM
I believe Oz customs are treating them as a prohibited import as well - supposedly classified as a "concealed weapon" or some such.

Falls into the same class as a "sword stick" walking cane.
Basically any bladed implement disguised to look like something else.  Swiss card is actually a bit of a grey area ::)

Ironically those pocket knives that look like a shotgun shell also fall into this category by the letter of the law.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 12:01:11 PM
"It's sounds almost harmless but in the wrong hands a credit card knife could be a weapon of mass destruction on a plane," he said.

Fear is what "takes over a plane", not a knife.

If I can persuade the pilot (and copilot, and staff, and all the passengers) that I'm deadly with a set of keys, or a toothpick, then I can take over the plane.

Aside from what I can achieve with all the perfectly (currently) legal to fly items - The classier airlines use metal cutlery anyway.

But, Australians (or Australian Politicians) have never been anything if not terminally ignorant and alarmist, so by all means - Creditcard knives are the new smallpox.

::)

(Having said that - All these people should really know the current laws, and it's not exactly a secret about what you can't take on a plane these days, so whilst I'm not a believer than this is the devils own work, I don't think anyone who got their stuff confiscated has much of a leg to stand on - It wouldn't have killed them to put it in checked baggage, or leave it at home)

Be careful what you say, or they will make keys and toothpicks illegal too!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 04:05:43 PM
Nah boss, if they do that, its a short step to banning long nails(deadly to eyes) and fingers in general.   :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 04:17:51 PM
Nah boss, if they do that, its a short step to banning long nails(deadly to eyes) and fingers in general.   :think:

More fingers are used every year to pull the triggers of guns used in the commission of crimes than all other body parts combined.  They should be restricted so that only the Police and military can have them.  Then they should disband the military and police so that there will be no reason to have wars or crime anymore. :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 11:28:49 PM
But then they need to ban toes, because some people have agile toes that could be used to pull a trigger! :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44