Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How NOT to teach people survival skills

fi Offline temo

Re: How NOT to teach people survival skills
Reply #30 on: November 26, 2016, 12:11:51 PM
Well at least MT hobby sounds cheap after you look recommended survival gears. Outdoor cooking can be cheap or expensive. But sure price is not relevant if you talk about survival.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #31 on: February 11, 2017, 11:04:11 AM
IMO most television shows make survival look much too easy. If I had any kids I would show them that water, food and fire may be difficult to get/make and that the risks involved are not to be laughed at. Survival in the Netherlands is easy if you are prepared to steal of a farmer, otherwise forget it, most of the year there's just too little to live on.
OTOH I would show them the pleasure of herbs, fruits and nuts gathered from the wild, how to catch fish, and how to snare, dress and cook a rabbit. But I would make them understand that it wouldn't work for longer periods of time!

I should add that there are very few regions in the Netherlands where you would need any survival skills.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:15:41 AM by Ronald Schröder »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #32 on: February 11, 2017, 12:01:08 PM
Last night, a Bulgarian lady came to my office. Her story is that her educated son, 36, had peculiar behavior since March 2016. Something like religious delusions. He disappeared without warning for 6 months. He came back with nothing but a rucksack and said he lived on the mountain, eating mushrooms, fish and bread he made from flour he had with him, living as an askete. He came back because he wasn't prepared for a harsh winter on the mountains.
I would like to talk with him but he doesn't want to see a doctor. The fascinating thing is that he wasn't a survivalist, he studied language his whole life.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #33 on: February 11, 2017, 12:08:11 PM
Yesterday's paper ran a story about a man from Vancouver, who walked over 10,000 km to Brazil, barefooted. He had help of other people sometimes, but mostly had to survive in the wild, "foraging for food".

See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/09/canadian-man-reportedly-found-amazon-following-10000-mile-journey/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:26:55 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: February 11, 2017, 04:01:41 PM
Last night, a Bulgarian lady came to my office. Her story is that her educated son, 36, had peculiar behavior since March 2016. Something like religious delusions. He disappeared without warning for 6 months. He came back with nothing but a rucksack and said he lived on the mountain, eating mushrooms, fish and bread he made from flour he had with him, living as an askete. He came back because he wasn't prepared for a harsh winter on the mountains.
I would like to talk with him but he doesn't want to see a doctor. The fascinating thing is that he wasn't a survivalist, he studied language his whole life.

I would love to hear his story as well. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 04:31:31 PM
Convince him to write a book.  I'm sure he'd sell more than a few copies here!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline lurkee

Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 04:59:19 PM
I say drop 'em in the middle of no where, pick 'em up in a few weeks. If they live, pat 'em on the back and give 'em a beginner survival course certificate, if they don't - no money back guarantee

'if it's cold and wet, 99% will be dead within a week, if they have to start naked and have no gear.

this guy is outstanding!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 05:02:30 PM by lurkee »

Offline lurkee

Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 05:03:33 PM
search youtube for Dave canterbury, ray mears, Cody Lundin. Read books by Brad Angier, Ragnar Benson, Larry Dean Olsen, Mors Korchanski, Cody Lundin,
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 05:11:27 PM by lurkee »

Offline lurkee

Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 07:22:50 PM
if a place is worth a hoot, there's people all over it. If it's nothing but woods, etc, it's not worth a hoot for resources.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 10:57:19 PM
I say drop 'em in the middle of no where, pick 'em up in a few weeks. If they live, pat 'em on the back and give 'em a beginner survival course certificate, if they don't - no money back guarantee

'if it's cold and wet, 99% will be dead within a week, if they have to start naked and have no gear.

this guy is outstanding!

That's a good video.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Dwest

Reply #40 on: March 23, 2017, 04:03:48 AM
Here is a good rule...while in bear country...just be sure you can outrun your buddy.  :ahhh

That's why Megan always takes me hiking.  With more metal in my ankles than in the average economy car someone would be very hard pressed to not run faster than me!

:ahhh

Def

Maybe she figures if she hooks you up to a  battery, you could be used as a compass.

No offense just a bit of humor.

Offline Dwest

Reply #41 on: March 23, 2017, 04:40:20 AM
I took my son out and had him build a debris type shelter, no tools allowed so he got the idea of how much work and how long it really takes to do this. He learned its not as easy as TV and You Tube makes it out to be. A lesson in reality is always a good teacher.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: March 23, 2017, 06:39:13 AM
I took my son out and had him build a debris type shelter, no tools allowed so he got the idea of how much work and how long it really takes to do this. He learned its not as easy as TV and You Tube makes it out to be. A lesson in reality is always a good teacher.

:like:

Great job   Certainly lets him know that its important to make the decision early to hunker down rather than wait till the last moment.   
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: March 23, 2017, 11:09:33 AM

The wonders of video editing always make things look far, far easier than they actually are.  Just finding appropriate materials can take a long time.  Good job on having some quality time with your boy. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%