Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge Blade Exchanger in Wave

Aloha · 28 · 5569

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Surge Blade Exchanger in Wave
on: October 27, 2016, 09:46:49 PM
I finally had the time and courage to try this mod.  Wow it's a lot of work but so far so good.  There are tweaks that will need to be done.  The BE won't sit flat in the space make for it.  I suspect a bit more sanding on the top portion of the "door" that opens on the BE is needed. 

All the scratches seen on the lock area of my Wave will be cleaned up a bit.  I had to file that area flush to get the BE to sit as low as you see.  The motion is smooth and lock up is good.  I will adjust the lock up a little more to make it near perfect.  So far I am really glad I did this mod. 

I'll add more info on what I did to make it to this point.  Thanks to Breezy for his write up I was able to do this. 
IMG_1736 copy.jpg
* IMG_1736 copy.jpg (Filesize: 227.5 KB)
IMG_1737 copy.jpg
* IMG_1737 copy.jpg (Filesize: 176.15 KB)
IMG_1738 copy.jpg
* IMG_1738 copy.jpg (Filesize: 211.96 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Surge Blade Exchanger in Wave
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:15:20 PM
Nice work Aloha :cheers: I think that is a very worth while mod and have pondered doing it myself :like: Glad you shared the pics of it with us :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:30:00 PM
I fooled around with it a bit more and I think I'll leave the BE as is.  With it sitting up like that its easily opened without causing any issues in hand, at least for me that is. 

One thing I did notice was in plier mode the BE and knife hit each other not allowing the pliers to close completely.  A little file work and that is resolved. 
IMG_1740 copy.jpg
* IMG_1740 copy.jpg (Filesize: 160.67 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 12:14:12 AM
Nice job  :cheers:

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 11:17:51 AM
Nice work. How much did you have to trim off the saw blade for it to close with a blade in?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 04:56:12 PM
Nice work. How much did you have to trim off the saw blade for it to close with a blade in?

On that particular saw blade, nothing.  The wood saw that comes with the Surge did have to be trimmed a bit.  I'll snap a pic of it. 

I have a few saws that don't fit into the Surge either.  I carry those separate and use when needed.  I typically carry the file in my Surge but since my Wave has one I decided the hack saw was better than the wood saw. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 04:58:42 PM
I smoothed out pretty much any and all edges and while the BE still doesn't sit square in the space I made I quite like how it sits up.  The part that sits up make deploying very easy. 

I think I'll try adding Vic scissors where the serrated blade is and possible remove the small bit driver for something else. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Vinjints

Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 05:24:47 PM
I really like the idea of a blade exchanger.  I only have one on my bladeless MP600, but I do carry several jigsaw blades with it - just in case.  I wish more models would include them, especially on the larger tools.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 05:36:45 PM
I think the "issue" is length of blades that the exchanger will accommodate when tool is closed  :think:

The Surge has more space to allow longer blades vs the Wave so maybe LM decided MT users would't care for such an option on the smaller tools.

The way I use the Surge BE is with the file installed and if/when I need to cut something I install the right blade for the job.  This way length is no concern to me since I will reinstall the file when the job is complete. 

I'll use the Wave in the same manner except the Wave has the file as a main tool.  I'll keep my metal saw installed, the saw I use fits with no mod needed, till I require a different saw type.  I did mod a wood saw only cause I had an extra just to see how it would seat.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 05:42:59 PM
A few pics of where I am with this mod.

The BE does sit up in the space created however it sits no higher than the knives.  I smoothes out any edges on the BE so there no possibility of cuts.  I do see I can thin out the area created to seat the BE a little lower however as mentioned I like it sitting proud which aids in opening. 

You can see the difference in the saw I have installed and the LM Surge saw.

IMG_1755 copy.jpg
* IMG_1755 copy.jpg (Filesize: 106.4 KB)
IMG_1756 copy.jpg
* IMG_1756 copy.jpg (Filesize: 102.95 KB)
IMG_1757 copy.jpg
* IMG_1757 copy.jpg (Filesize: 84.54 KB)
IMG_1758 copy.jpg
* IMG_1758 copy.jpg (Filesize: 119.92 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 05:52:48 PM
The BE sits proud and appears I can thin out the frame of the Wave ( see when I point with pen ).  I might play with it a bit more after some usage.  My hands are not sensitive and as mentioned I smoothes out all edges so theres no discomfort to me.

Blurry pic but hopefully you can see the BE does not sit higher than the serrated blade.  The modified Surge saw installed does sits higher than the metal saw I will keep in the tool.  I just wanted to see how it would look and as mentioned I had a spare LM Surge saw.

I didn't modify the Surge post that was needed ( for length ) to accommodate the BE but I did add a second brass washer.  I used a brass washer on top of the BE and beneath it.

IMG_1759 copy.jpg
* IMG_1759 copy.jpg (Filesize: 107.09 KB)
IMG_1760 copy.jpg
* IMG_1760 copy.jpg (Filesize: 76.89 KB)
IMG_1761 copy.jpg
* IMG_1761 copy.jpg (Filesize: 107.91 KB)
IMG_1762 copy.jpg
* IMG_1762 copy.jpg (Filesize: 125.14 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 05:58:18 PM
Sorry for such awful pics.  You can see the BE sits lower in the space created, if anything the frame sticks out a bit.  I sanded down the face of the frame so there are no edges.  I actually tapered the edge down toward the BE so when I run my finger across towards the BE its quite smooth. 

IMG_1763 copy.jpg
* IMG_1763 copy.jpg (Filesize: 83.39 KB)
IMG_1764 copy.jpg
* IMG_1764 copy.jpg (Filesize: 73.23 KB)
IMG_1765 copy.jpg
* IMG_1765 copy.jpg (Filesize: 70.24 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 06:04:09 PM
 :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :gimme:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 06:26:45 PM
Nice mod Aloha!
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 06:31:00 PM
Thanks.  I have a Wingman that I was willing to sacrifice for the scissors but I think I'll go with Vic scissors.  I have a few parts just sitting around. 

I was looking at my Spirit thinking  I could also make a chisel out of the Wave flat driver or a Vic part I have  :think:

I'm thinking the small bit driver has to go as well as the Wave scissors. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 11:06:44 PM
And I have OHO scissors  :salute:.  PITA to widen the Vic scissors hole with what I had.  The lock like Enki's mod doesn't work however when the scissors are in use the pressure it against the stop so there is no way these will close.  The scissors do lock at 90 however but thats a good thing as they wont close on your finger. 

Pretty stoked to have these scissors vs LM scissors.  Not to take out the LM scissors and add a chisel. 
IMG_1768 (2) copy.jpg
* IMG_1768 (2) copy.jpg (Filesize: 190.96 KB)
IMG_1769 copy.jpg
* IMG_1769 copy.jpg (Filesize: 239.35 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 01:38:46 AM
Alright last mod of the day.  Surge awl modified to fit my wave in place of waves scissors.  I still need a bit more filling but its not a bat fit at all considering I don't have a rebar awl.  I'm still gonna take out the small bit driver and add a chisel and possible change out the can opener. 

IMG_1770 copy.jpg
* IMG_1770 copy.jpg (Filesize: 240.28 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 05:32:48 AM
Wow you been busy today :o :cheers: I really like all those mods for the Wave :tu: Making a tool suit your needs and being able to execute this is an awesome feeling :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 08:12:25 AM
Well its pretty much whats been done already but yes it does feel great.  It may not be as elegant as say Metros however it lacks nothing in functionality.  The awl was fun to do.  Lots of reshaping to fit it in but it locks up perfectly.  I have a spare Vic scissors so I may give them a go down the road. 

Its been a fun day of modding especially since its been a year in the making. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 09:12:28 PM
Well done ! :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 09:43:20 PM
Well done ! :cheers:

Thanks.  I'm glad I finally did it.  Been in the "works" for a year or so. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 08:31:09 PM
 :like:
Considering all the modding I have done so far is to correct a fitting problem on an old vintage CASE XX TRAPPER, this is MOST impressive mon ami! Congrats Aloha!

I know it's a mortal sin, but I chose the surge over the wave to own first.

I have long fingers, big mitts, and I'm used to the SOG PowerPlier etc, so I don't mind weight.

The versatility of that blade exchanger is outstanding, so I can see why you would put it on the wave. Walk into the hardware store...bang...done.

Has anyone modded the Surge scissors to fit a wave, or can that be done?

I like the Surge scissors for spring durability over the SA or Winger models. But I use the SA SCISSORS a whole lot more :cheers:
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 09:11:59 PM
Thank you.  The Surge scissors are longer that the space available in the Wave.  I do believe with some modification to the scissors they can fit however at the expense of removing material from the tip.  I'll snap a picture of exactly what I'm talking about. 

Short answer I believe it can be done. 

Now that I have done this MOD, my Wave is back on my work belt.  My Spirit is being used for home chores. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 09:55:03 PM
You guys have no idea how much your input and encouragement helped me with this!

It's what MTO is all about. I took a good knife and made it better than it was when I bought it!
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 265.05 KB)
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 12:07:57 AM
Looks great.  My Wave mod took about a year to sum up the courage.  I realized heavily on Breezys thread.  There were some learning curves,  Enki helped me decide to add SAK scissors tho I had a hard look at the Surge ones first. 

I'll think the fun part is making a tool that conforms to your needs.  Sure I've completely voided my warranty   :rofl: but I now have confidence and had a fun time.   
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 01:48:18 AM
Great thread Aloha.   :tu:   :like:   IMO that awl works much better than the Rebar or the Signal one.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 02:56:01 AM
Great thread Aloha.   :tu:   :like:   IMO that awl works much better than the Rebar or the Signal one.

Thanks Z.  I had to work to get that awl in there.  Lots of grinding but I agree.  Its pretty stout and sharp so theres not much I cannot handle. 
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 06:04:32 AM
Yeah I've done a few of them myself, totally worth the effort though.   :multi:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00