Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Micro Toolclip at Walmart

jday2727 · 165 · 12580

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Re: Micro Toolclip at Walmart
Reply #90 on: November 24, 2016, 03:10:36 AM
Blaine says....
aint got time.jpg
* aint got time.jpg (Filesize: 100.7 KB)
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #91 on: November 24, 2016, 03:38:19 AM
At least one of the guys at the grinder at SOG knows what he is doing!   :ahhh

Def

That does speak well of them anyways :D :like:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #92 on: November 24, 2016, 04:42:38 AM
I think my SOGs are possibly the sharpest knives I own. I mean they are scary sharp. I have long suspected that there must be some kind of Voodoo or other worldly mysticism going on in the factory.  Unfortunately I still haven't found the gift set in any of my local Wally Worlds.  :facepalm:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #93 on: November 24, 2016, 02:08:00 PM
So I finally got around to looking at the knife (Centi II) and it's a bit of a mixed bag.
Mine has solid lockup, and feels sturdy, aside from the blade flex cody6268 mentioned. The blade is quite sharp, but it's also damaged right out of the box. It has a couple nicks on the edge. I was ready to give it a decent grade before discovering them, but on a brand new knife that's quite a big issue for me. Granted, it was just about dirt cheap, and I don't expect to be handed the world for $10 (if you assume it's half the bundle price.) But I do expect it to be undamaged if it's a new item. I've never received a Mora or Opinel with a nicked blade, and they're as cheap or cheaper. I can fix it, but I don't feel like I should need to. Ah well, at least the Toolclip is cool.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #94 on: November 24, 2016, 03:59:11 PM
Except for the bendy blade of the knife I :like: this little lockback better than the frame lock that comes in the Gerber Shard combo pack from Wally World :tu: The Gerber has a better blade and a clip but it is very hard to unlock it and if that gets better and it should. I will be happy with it but as for the present the SOG gets my vote :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #95 on: November 24, 2016, 04:51:57 PM
I'm a bit less critical of the knife- everything Woods Duck says is absolutely true though.  I just look at it differently since I figure I paid $20 for the Micro Tool Clip and really don't care about the knife.  Mind you, both of mine are perfect, so maybe that makes it easier for me to not think less of them.

The knife is just so meaningless to me, that I doubt I'd be annoyed by it if it showed up on fire.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #96 on: November 24, 2016, 05:41:41 PM
I'm a bit less critical of the knife- everything Woods Duck says is absolutely true though.  I just look at it differently since I figure I paid $20 for the Micro Tool Clip and really don't care about the knife.  Mind you, both of mine are perfect, so maybe that makes it easier for me to not think less of them.

The knife is just so meaningless to me, that I doubt I'd be annoyed by it if it showed up on fire.

Def

Indeed. I would have bought the Toolclip for $20 if that's all you got, so it's not a major thorn in my side. Though I had the thought that it would have been really cool if they did a Toolclip 2-pack for a bit more money with two different scale colors. Maybe red and green for Christmas?
Black is a solid choice, but some options wouldn't hurt.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #97 on: November 24, 2016, 08:15:38 PM

Def

Indeed. I would have bought the Toolclip for $20 if that's all you got, so it's not a major thorn in my side. Though I had the thought that it would have been really cool if they did a Toolclip 2-pack for a bit more money with two different scale colors. Maybe red and green for Christmas?
Black is a solid choice, but some options wouldn't hurt.

The red/green color scheme would be amazing. I would happily pay more for that two pack :tu:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #98 on: November 24, 2016, 11:30:31 PM
Yeah, I would have been in for that too!

But then I am kind of a junky...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #99 on: November 28, 2016, 02:32:21 AM
As of this weekend I managed to visit 5 different Wal-Marts and not one of them had the SOG gift set.  At this point I decided that continuing to drive all over town is a waste of my time.  I grabbed a Leatherman Skeletool for $29.00 at Home Depot on Friday night and I'm done.  :facepalm:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #100 on: November 28, 2016, 03:18:25 AM
As of this weekend I managed to visit 5 different Wal-Marts and not one of them had the SOG gift set.  At this point I decided that continuing to drive all over town is a waste of my time.  I grabbed a Leatherman Skeletool for $29.00 at Home Depot on Friday night and I'm done.  :facepalm:

Bummer! At mine they weren't with the other holiday deals. They had a small display of them on the counter in the sporting goods department.
That's a good deal on the Skeletool though. I didn't know they had it going again this year.

us Offline dbeeks1

Reply #101 on: December 03, 2016, 01:33:31 AM
I got a replacement from SOG today...non gift pack packaging.
20161202_182935.jpg
* 20161202_182935.jpg (Filesize: 158.93 KB)
20161202_183009.jpg
* 20161202_183009.jpg (Filesize: 197.19 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #102 on: December 03, 2016, 05:14:08 AM
I got a replacement from SOG today...non gift pack packaging.

Glad they go that out to you buddy :tu: :like:

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: December 03, 2016, 07:34:55 AM
I dread going to Walmart. I can my find my way to the tool section but everything else doesn't seem to be organized. So it says much that I've been to 3 looking for the MicroTool clip. Almost bought a few dirt cheap Ozarks knives but no Micro. What is up with that!

us Offline dbeeks1

Reply #104 on: December 03, 2016, 01:27:55 PM
Glad they go that out to you buddy :tu: :like:
Thanks. This one is in much better shape. The side of the blister pack was cut open so it looks like it was inspected before it was shipped.
Good job SOG!  :tu:

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: December 06, 2016, 01:00:10 PM
Non-gift packaging  :think:
Could that mean they are going to keep it around for a little while?  :2tu:
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #106 on: December 06, 2016, 04:45:37 PM
Non-gift packaging  :think:
Could that mean they are going to keep it around for a little while?  :2tu:

As I understand it, it will be a regular model introduced in 2017.  They just got it out a bit early for Christmas.

Still, we all know what happened to the 2nd Generation, so if you want one, get it now while you can, just in case!   :ahhh

Def

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: December 15, 2016, 06:31:51 PM
Ok my Walmart finally had it along with the knife. They also had a combo crkt drifter and opmt. Sooooo tempted. But I promised my wife I'd control my impulses. But man! $19.98!!!

Is the sog tool housing plastic or metal? I couldn't tell.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #108 on: December 15, 2016, 08:46:54 PM
I stumbled on these at my Walmart and picked one up...

First impressions: I love it! I need to run the knife over a stone but I'm pretty happy about this overall. The wire cutter works terrific and so do the pliers. I have not tested the Phillips yet.

That said - it needs much more testing/use. I need to know it is reliable and not just "neat" :salute:
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #109 on: December 16, 2016, 01:38:38 PM
I stumbled on these at my Walmart and picked one up...

First impressions: I love it! I need to run the knife over a stone but I'm pretty happy about this overall. The wire cutter works terrific and so do the pliers. I have not tested the Phillips yet.

That said - it needs much more testing/use. I need to know it is reliable and not just "neat" :salute:

I've been carrying and using mine since I got it and I have had no problems with it. 

Well, now that I have modded it a bit I've had no problems.  :D

I found the switch opens as you put it in your pocket and the spring opens the pliers, making it difficult to take back out of your pocket, so I ground off the switch on the clip side and removed the spring from the handle.

Def

us Offline sawman

Reply #110 on: December 16, 2016, 02:24:52 PM
The same thing happened to me when taking it out of cargo pocket the pliers were open. However this has only happened once -so far-
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #111 on: December 16, 2016, 02:34:04 PM
Yeah, it happened to me a few times, so I decided to fix it.

Def

us Offline sawman

Reply #112 on: December 16, 2016, 05:22:40 PM
For what it's worth, I really like the knife. It's good for light duty :tu:
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #113 on: December 16, 2016, 11:17:15 PM
There's been some negative feedback on that small knife, but I have to say, for a small knife it doesn't seem too bad to me.  I'm not going to use it to baton logs into kindling, but for small knife duties like cleaning finger nails and opening the mail it certainly seems to be more than up to the task.

Def

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #114 on: December 17, 2016, 03:59:58 AM
I was thinking of grinding down the release knob on one side myself. I like the spring action on these pliers though, so I'll keep that.
I feel like the release is a tad fiddly. Have to wonder if there isn't a better way to do it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #115 on: December 17, 2016, 11:49:07 PM
Indeed, but for a tool with an MSRP of $20, I'm not complaining one bit.

Def

us Offline sawman

Reply #116 on: December 18, 2016, 05:41:52 AM
Update:

The Centi II was plenty sharp enough but I just finished putting an edge on the micro toolclip blade. It came so dull. Fixed! :tu:
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #117 on: December 18, 2016, 11:13:03 PM
There seems to be a vast difference in SOG's edges.  I have gotten some passable edges in the past, and some that are scary sharp.  The sharpest knife I ever had, out of the box was a was a SOG Mini Pentagon.

I'm sorry your didn't get one of the good edges, but I'm glad that was an easy enough thing to rectify!  :D

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #118 on: December 20, 2016, 03:18:01 AM
Haven't carried mine for a few days  :think: Guess I need to try and get it out some at least over the holidays and see what it can do with Christmas toys :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #119 on: December 20, 2016, 02:40:11 PM
Any reason you stopped carrying it?

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%