Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Does Your Background/Job Heavily Influence What MultiTool/Knife You Purchase?

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Not talking about the obvious one like if you are a Service Member and you bought a LM MUT. Example - I work in a Quality Dept and part of the job is being nit picky and assessing  :climber:. Doing this for so many years I've gradually noticed that it has pretty much taken over my life and annoys the wife to no end when we go out, buy appliances, etc.
So before I purchase the tool I check it out in stores and nitpick, google endlessly for reviews, etc. It's a curse and I've had to consciously shut it down just to enjoy life  :facepalm: Anyway Balance is Everything.
Anyone else?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Not exactly, but my background and hobbies have helped me justify having so many  :P

I keep three rather different ones in my main tool bag, including one modification. I have several modded knifeless ones in grab bag, hiking kit, and general urban use, some standard non-locking ones too, plus three with locking blades for home DIY and "jobsite" scenarios.

When I ran an engineering company (heavy machine shop), the Wave was tool of choice, although I stripped the internal tools out to make it a bit lighter in the pocket, and stop grime and turnings getting caught up in there. The diamond file came in useful, as did the OHO knives and being clipped to the pocket, but the inner tools were irrelevant in the setting.

Another tool which proved useful later was my modified MP400. I had moved to a toolmaking environment, and the flicky pliers proved extremely useful when visiting client's facilities. Some of the machines we were servicing had turnings in excess of 20mm, and when one of those goes astray and starts melting a hole in your jacket, instant access pliers are a very welcome addition to the carry. They wouldn't have helped with the bigger machines though - some of the BIG lathes removed up to 90mm per side, per tool, with four tools in play  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Not at all.
As an alarm tech I currently use a Leatherman Charge AL, simply because I care for it the least.

If it's got a blade, pliers with wire cutter, ph and flathead driver, I"m ready to roll.

Spare time: Swisstool X in the bag or the Spirit.

So yay! I can just buy stuff I like.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
No, I work with my mind, I never touch my subject in fact. My tools are just a hobby and I use them around but never on my subjects. If I had chosen surgery on the other hand....

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
I work in an office, but do alot of outdoor/physical working activities by choice, necessity, or both. So it is a little of both for me.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I just like knives and tools in general so I don't know if my job has anything to do with anything like that :shrug: I am just a gadgety person :D

us Offline irona

I'm drawn to SAKs (espesially) and Leathermans as opposed to Gerbers and sogs, probably because I grew up using VICs and LMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
I am a pathological tinkerer and fine scale modeller. I have a large pile of esoteric specialty tools that get used very little, but are essential when the need arises.
As an apartment dweller I have no permanent workspace, so bench tools are virtually out of the question.

I sometimes purge part of my stash, but only when I have picked up better quality versions of existing tools, or when I have decided to abandon a certain type of work (dropping power electronics means I had less use for high-voltage insulated tools, for example)

The majority of my personal belongings (measured in volume and worth) are related to tinkering and/or tool related hobbies.
-Tom
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
I work at the courthouse. I don't think there is any relation between my job and the fact I like knives. But I do in particular collect Swiss Army Knives with government logo's, maybe that's the influence of my job  ::)  :D
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline JasonJ

I'm an IT pro, Network and Server admin, plus IT security officer. 

When I was helpdesk, I used my EDC flashlight and MT more often, but now, as I mostly sit at my desk, with an occasional visit to the datacenters, I can carry just about any knife or MT I want, except for perhaps medium to large fixed blades.  Basically, if I can fit it in my pockets or in a small-ish belt sheath, and it's not scary looking to non-knifers, it's fine.

Daily loadout is usually just a simple folder, micra or classic sd on the keys.  SOMETIMES, I pocket carry a leatherman, but always have it nearby in a pack if need be.  Usually for the random screwdriving that needs to occur in server racks or battery backup units.

I was going to go be a Conservation Officer/DNR, which probably would dictate a large folder or my preferred blade, a 4-5" fixed blade scandi grind knife.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Yeah, when I look back on what I wanted to be, the journey and the tiny windowless cubicle I'm in I kinda scratch my head. Almost wish I had a outdoors job just so I get a chance to really make a difference and an excuse to lug a manly blade and MT instead of my emasculated EDC. But I always count my blessings. Good to have a job that provides for the family.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
I'm not a manly man, but when I lost my job some years ago it really hit my gut not being able to provide. I got a new (and much better) job quickly, but I didn't know I would be so lucky when the manure was filling the ventilation system.

What I EDC today as a middle aged man isn't that dissimilar from what I carried as a teenager, so I guess it's stubborn unwillingness to grow up more than my professional background which shapes my EDC. :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:13:23 PM by Steinar »

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
My work's in forestry and gardening. Unsurprisingly, most of my SAKs sport a saw. Most of my lunches are outdoors, so I carry a dedicated food prep knife also, to avoid contamination.
In the past I did some work in warehousing too, picking orders. I found that a dyad knife, with both plain and serrated blades, fitted best.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:40:21 PM by Ronald Schröder »

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
My Dyad collection. Byrd, Buck and Gerber.
DSC03622-dyads.jpg
* DSC03622-dyads.jpg (Filesize: 341.08 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I carry a MT soley for convenience.  As a tradesman not related to construction I don't require a lot of tools on the job tho I do need them from time to time.   Having the LM bit kit has saved my bacon many times and being easy to carry has made a big difference in my efficiency.  I carry dedicated tools on my truck but having to fetch them wastes time. 

I also love to tinker around the house.  Recently I had to take out a brass water line from my sink to install an braided one to my fridge ice maker.  Having a MT on my hip saved several trips to the garage, I did have proper tools on hand. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
WARNING: Pic heavy!

Nice drivers save the ass on occasion, when a tool/chainsaw etc. suddenly stops working

Blade opens fertilizer package, cuts rope and twine, saw sometimes gets little use (when the big ones don't have enough space) and pliers aid in twisting, prying out nails, stakes, metal bars, cutting wire...

Ripping open pots, plastics, corners of lids and containers,

Many MTs fit the bill, but common implements are a need or at least very convenient

The big jobs are handled by the specific/big tools

Pruning, cutting, sawing, ripping, etc. you name it

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

england Offline Kev D

My job influenced my choice when I first got my surge, but now it doesn't. I have the tool(s) I wanted to help me at work and now my influence is now more along the lines of, ooooh I like that and I haven't got one of those.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
In my years as a chippy I used dedicated tools but carried a 111mm Rucksack for lunches and small jobs etc. Now I manage a retirement estate which combines a caring/emergency role with Health and Safety and paperwork. I have my Spirit close to hand for any small DIY jobs the residents come to me for, but usually my SAK can handle most stuff, as long as I have the in-line philips or equivalent. Living on site in a tiny flat means I don't have the room for all the tools I had as a chippy so the Spirit and SAK's save me quite a lot of space.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

In my years as a chippy I used dedicated tools but carried a 111mm Rucksack for lunches and small jobs etc. Now I manage a retirement estate which combines a caring/emergency role with Health and Safety and paperwork. I have my Spirit close to hand for any small DIY jobs the residents come to me for, but usually my SAK can handle most stuff, as long as I have the in-line philips or equivalent. Living on site in a tiny flat means I don't have the room for all the tools I had as a chippy so the Spirit and SAK's save me quite a lot of space.

Hey!

I thought you were a Captain, living on a U-Boat, navigating through the canals and rivers in Great Britain  :think:

I was totally picturing all of that in my mind. Now that's all fallen to pieces  :-[

You just fell of your big pedestal, Sir!  :pok:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:55:43 PM by glenfiddich1983 »

^-- where the cat sits

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious

Hey!

I thought you were a Captain, living on a U-Boat, navigating through the canals and rivers in Great Britain  :think:

I was totally picturing all that in my mind. Now that's all fallen to pieces  :-[

:oops:  :D Sorry to disappoint you G-Fiddy. There's a 'living on a U Boat' quality to my life - tiny office, cramped conditions, detached from the outside world etc, so the analogy is kosha if nothing else.

Join me in fantasy land - it's fun.  :salute:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Glen, i think you are mixing up Magentus with 50Fttrad
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Hey!

I was totally picturing all that in my mind. Now that's all fallen to pieces  :-[

:oops:  :D Sorry to disappoint you G-Fiddy. There's a 'living on a U Boat' quality to my life - tiny office, cramped conditions, detached from the outside world etc, so the analogy is kosha if nothing else.

Great. Now i'm depressed. Thanks a lot Mags :facepalm:

Send Medical Bill to me. Please tell him to also bring CF33 to cheer me up again.

^-- where the cat sits

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious

Hey!

Send Medical Bill to me. Please tell him to also bring CF33 to cheer me up again.
G-Fiddy! Have you learned nothing from the Dolly debacle? They hide out in a U Boat (or retirement estate in real life) for a reason. They do not play well with others. They are not for public consumption. If you need reminding of what happens when one of them gets passed round see the 'Dolly's World Tour - Can you host?' thread. I wouldn't wish a single one of them on my worst enemy.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67681.0.html

Hey!

G-Fiddy! Have you learned nothing from the Dolly debacle? They hide out in a U Boat (or retirement estate in real life) for a reason. They do not play well with others. They are not for public consumption. If you need reminding of what happens when one of them gets passed round see the 'Dolly's World Tour - Can you host?' thread. I wouldn't wish a single one of them on my worst enemy.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67681.0.html

Thanks for reminding me. How ambivalent my feelings towards Medical Bill may be, I don't wish him -let alone CF33- any harm!

^-- where the cat sits

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Not exactly, but my background and hobbies have helped me justify having so many  :P

I keep three rather different ones in my main tool bag, including one modification. I have several modded knifeless ones in grab bag, hiking kit, and general urban use, some standard non-locking ones too, plus three with locking blades for home DIY and "jobsite" scenarios.

When I ran an engineering company (heavy machine shop), the Wave was tool of choice, although I stripped the internal tools out to make it a bit lighter in the pocket, and stop grime and turnings getting caught up in there. The diamond file came in useful, as did the OHO knives and being clipped to the pocket, but the inner tools were irrelevant in the setting.

Another tool which proved useful later was my modified MP400. I had moved to a toolmaking environment, and the flicky pliers proved extremely useful when visiting client's facilities. Some of the machines we were servicing had turnings in excess of 20mm, and when one of those goes astray and starts melting a hole in your jacket, instant access pliers are a very welcome addition to the carry. They wouldn't have helped with the bigger machines though - some of the BIG lathes removed up to 90mm per side, per tool, with four tools in play  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

General Urban!

:salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
I just like knives and tools in general so I don't know if my job has anything to do with anything like that :shrug: I am just a gadgety person :D

General So!

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club

Hey!

I was totally picturing all of that in my mind. Now that's all fallen to pieces  :-[

Captain Living!

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
As a person in managerial position I have to carry a gold knife. :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Yes, my job definitely influences what MT/knives I purchase.

Show content
Without it, I'd have no money to buy them...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Yes, my job definitely influences what MT/knives I purchase.

Show content
Without it, I'd have no money to buy them...

:whistle:

:2tu:

^-- where the cat sits

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85