Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New BO Swisstool

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: New BO Swisstool
Reply #30 on: November 08, 2016, 12:35:08 PM
When I've got my SwiisTool BO (previous version - without crimper on pliers) I was seriously disapointed with a quality of coating.
Can anybody confirm that it's a normal situation?

P.S. By the way, I'm also looking for Spirit RT for reasonable price.. My collection is waiting for it  :D
Perfectly normal.
when NIB, the tool is deep black, but some colouring comes off as a left over from the process.

After a good rubdown, the black will be less deep, more like dark grey and usualy stay like this for quite some time.

The colour will come off with alot of use though

Edit: it does seem like your 2 handles came out different though...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 12:36:11 PM by Mechanickal »

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #31 on: November 08, 2016, 03:46:43 PM
When I've got my SwiisTool BO (previous version - without crimper on pliers) I was seriously disapointed with a quality of coating.
I recently got a Spirit S BO that was unused (advertised as such and none of the tools show any signs of wear), but the finish was in a similar condition. What's funny is how even with a black oxide finish, it's still sorta shiny; it has that almost oily sheen to it. My other BO SwissTools / Spirits have a similar appearance, but not to the same degree. As far as I know, it's just a byproduct of how they do things.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #32 on: November 23, 2016, 10:49:04 PM
These are listed on Victorinox's USA site now: https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/SwissTools/c/SAK_SwissTool
They're a bit more pricey than I expected, to be honest. I'm hoping places like SwissKnifeShop will get them down a bit, at least to $150 but lower would be nice. Might take a while since they tend to fetch fairly high prices on eBay right now.

us Offline italophil

Reply #33 on: November 23, 2016, 11:02:50 PM
I recently got a Spirit S BO that was unused (advertised as such and none of the tools show any signs of wear), but the finish was in a similar condition. What's funny is how even with a black oxide finish, it's still sorta shiny; it has that almost oily sheen to it. My other BO SwissTools / Spirits have a similar appearance, but not to the same degree. As far as I know, it's just a byproduct of how they do things.

In German they call it "brüniert" which technically speaking is an oxide coating, but is more like burnished. It was traditionally made by applying linseed oil to a hot steel surface (>400C) repeatedly and was used for tooling and military applications. If they use that method it would explain the oily shine and the rubbing off.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #34 on: November 23, 2016, 11:11:54 PM

In German they call it "brüniert" which technically speaking is an oxide coating, but is more like burnished. It was traditionally made by applying linseed oil to a hot steel surface (>400C) repeatedly and was used for tooling and military applications. If they use that method it would explain the oily shine and the rubbing off.

Cool, thanks for the info! Do you know how this compares with the black oxide coating the Leatherman uses? Actually, it would be cool if we had a general "coatings" thread about black oxide vs. burnished steel vs. Cerakote vs. TiNi — I'd start one, but I don't know anything, I just want to learn. :)

us Offline italophil

Reply #35 on: November 23, 2016, 11:25:59 PM

Cool, thanks for the info! Do you know how this compares with the black oxide coating the Leatherman uses? Actually, it would be cool if we had a general "coatings" thread about black oxide vs. burnished steel vs. Cerakote vs. TiNi — I'd start one, but I don't know anything, I just want to learn. :)

Leatherman uses a black oxide powder process (according to their website). This I normally done using a copper-selenium powder and applied with a static charged spray gun. The advantage of the powder process over the hot solution process is, that you don't have to handle boiling, caustic liquids and still achieve a comparable corrosion resistance. The abrasion resistance is lower.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 24, 2016, 09:27:46 AM
In German they call it "brüniert" which technically speaking is an oxide coating, but is more like burnished. It was traditionally made by applying linseed oil to a hot steel surface (>400C) repeatedly

Next time my wife tells me the oven is dirty, I'll just tell her it's brüniert...

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
New BO Swisstool
Reply #37 on: November 25, 2016, 12:12:05 PM
Just curious, below picture identifies the Spirit XBS as 3.0224.3CCH. While Victorinox website listed it as 3.0224.3CN... So is there a difference?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 12:40:18 PM by jaya_man »

us Offline BerkshireHunter

Reply #38 on: November 26, 2016, 10:58:03 PM
These are listed on Victorinox's USA site now: https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/SwissTools/c/SAK_SwissTool
They're a bit more pricey than I expected, to be honest. I'm hoping places like SwissKnifeShop will get them down a bit, at least to $150 but lower would be nice. Might take a while since they tend to fetch fairly high prices on eBay right now.

Haha, ya, I see they cost over 100% more with the coating. Problem is, Victorinox seems to be adopting the MAP ( min. advertised price) policy like Spyderco and a lot of others. So we may not see them any cheaper.  :(

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #39 on: November 28, 2016, 04:00:03 PM
BO has been always overrated, I was lucky to get my BO Swisstool this year and it worns out fast, I don't carry my Spirit on a daily base because of this!
Enjoy!

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #40 on: November 28, 2016, 05:03:09 PM
[/quote]

Spot on, italophil.   :tu:

In reply #37, above, by jaya_man, the first ad says "Swisstool Burnished" and the second ad under "key features" says it is "burnished steel."
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:20:26 PM by Okie Shyster »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #41 on: November 29, 2016, 02:49:35 PM

In reply #37, above, by jaya_man, the first ad says "Swisstool Burnished" and the second ad under "key features" says it is "burnished steel."
[/quote]
In effect, it's just the same, right?

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #42 on: November 30, 2016, 03:56:46 PM

[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand the question.

If you're asking whether "Swisstool Burnished" and "burnished steel" mean the same thing I'd say the answer is yes.

If you're asking whether burnished steel is the same as the BO process Leatherman uses, the answer is no.

Hope this helps.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #43 on: November 30, 2016, 04:43:36 PM
Looks good but in the flesh so to speak

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #44 on: November 30, 2016, 05:03:29 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question.

If you're asking whether "Swisstool Burnished" and "burnished steel" mean the same thing I'd say the answer is yes.

If you're asking whether burnished steel is the same as the BO process Leatherman uses, the answer is no.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]
Thanks ... I meant the first one... :cheers:

Offline marduk

Reply #45 on: November 30, 2016, 11:35:09 PM
re:3.0224.3CCH & 3.0224.3CN:
I may be wrong, but I suspect that the 3.0224.3CCH is the black X model that was issued to the Swiss Army w/crimping device & green molle pouch.
The 3.0224.3CN is the exact same black X model with crimping device but w/nylon pouch.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #46 on: November 30, 2016, 11:41:01 PM

The 3.0224.3CN is the exact same black X model with crimping device but w/nylon pouch.

Yup

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #47 on: December 01, 2016, 02:22:10 AM
re:3.0224.3CCH & 3.0224.3CN:
I may be wrong, but I suspect that the 3.0224.3CCH is the black X model that was issued to the Swiss Army w/crimping device & green molle pouch.
Ahhh... certainly makes sense... CH for Switzerland... :tu:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #48 on: December 01, 2016, 08:10:20 AM
Here's XC getting acquainted with XBS
:cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: December 01, 2016, 08:30:00 AM