Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What modded SAK Setup would you call perfect?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
on: November 04, 2016, 01:48:54 PM
I have began to buy mod fodder for a mod I will try an accomplish sometime  (well when I get all the donors I need  :whistle: ) and was wondering what any of you would consider the perfect SAK Setup :tu: I would like to know what tools are in it and pics (if you have already put this SAK together for yourself :cheers: ) This may help me in gather supplies as well for mine and who knows might even change my mind of the "perfect SAK" :D I have seen many wonderful configurations on here but nothing exactly like what I have planned which I will talk more about as I go along :cheers: Also any ideas, even out there ideas would be appreciated as I want something that is not normally seen in my SAK as well :like:

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: What modded SAK Setup would you call perfect?
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 02:51:42 PM
Looking forward to seeing our dream SAK poncho  :salute:

Mine is pretty much the Greenwood. The only thing I would change is to add a metal file - aside from that it's perfect for me.

WP_20161021_003 by magpie2112, on Flickr
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 02:54:18 PM
For me, an almost perfect setup would be something like a Cyber-Trailguide;, a Compact + metal saw + cybertool layer. In fact, make one, I'll take it. ;)

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 03:02:50 PM
'Put red nylon scales on my Vic Handyman and I'm a happy camper (see what I did there? :facepalm:) :D

I'd love it to have two main blades, though; a PE clip point and a serrated spear point one :dd:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 03:24:14 PM
Already some good ideas I here :cheers:

My idea so far ;) Is to start with a Champion, take it apart take out the small blade and replace it with the inline awl, take the scaler out, take the opening layer out and add in the blade of a Vic pruner. Someone checked and the pruner blade and openers are the same thickness so hopefully it will just be a drop in :think: That's about as far as I have planned ATM  :tu:

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 03:32:44 PM

My idea so far ;) Is to start with a Champion, take it apart take out the small blade and replace it with the inline awl, take the scaler out, take the opening layer out and add in the blade of a Vic pruner. Someone checked and the pruner blade and openers are the same thickness so hopefully it will just be a drop in :think: That's about as far as I have planned ATM  :tu:
Sounds good so far poncho. If I was to send you some bottles of finest West Country Mead, how would you go about opening them? Maybe I'll have to not send them instead.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 03:45:55 PM
I really want to take a Ranger and build the knife from the Vic "Practical Tool set", by ditching the scissor/hook layer and replacing the corkscrew with a Phillips, since I don't use a corkscrew.  I'd really like to replace the pen blade with a hawkbill pen blade, but the pen blade does an awesome job skinning wire.   It will also have nylon handles.  It will be perfect to backup regular tools, as in my little tool kit I keep in my backpack, I see no need for a dedicated saw, file, or wood chisel in that little kit.  At present, I have a Camper in there.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 04:08:09 PM

Sounds good so far poncho. If I was to send you some bottles of finest West Country Mead, how would you go about opening them? Maybe I'll have to not send them instead.

I have a LM MT with me always  :D But they may do you better than me as I am not really a drinker :D I have really been back and forth about the opening layer but with a pruner blade in it I think it will be better for me :cheers: I want to keep the backside awl as it is good for tasks that the inline one might not handle as well and vice versa with the inline doing some tasks better than the backside one and that is another reason for keeping something in that layer as well :tu:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 04:08:22 PM
Any mod that contains a scissor and inline phillips is my most ideal... Couple Yeomans below...

Am currently doing an alox mod to try and incorporate an inline phillips into a Pioneer X...

In the meantime, some of my friends have just or are about to try out whittling and asked are discussing the ideal task to do this... This mod is what I came up with... It is similar to the SAK which is part of The Practical Tool Set...   Come to think of it, As if the Camper is combined with the Clipper...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 04:16:18 PM by jaya_man »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 04:24:35 PM
I really want to take a Ranger and build the knife from the Vic "Practical Tool set", by ditching the scissor/hook layer and replacing the corkscrew with a Phillips, since I don't use a corkscrew.  I'd really like to replace the pen blade with a hawkbill pen blade, but the pen blade does an awesome job skinning wire.   It will also have nylon handles.  It will be perfect to backup regular tools, as in my little tool kit I keep in my backpack, I see no need for a dedicated saw, file, or wood chisel in that little kit.  At present, I have a Camper in there.

Except for ditching the scissors that sounds like a great SAK for me as well :tu: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 04:25:49 PM
Any mod that contains a scissor and inline phillips is my most ideal... Couple Yeomans below...

(Image removed from quote.)

Am currently doing an alox mod to try and incorporate an inline phillips into a Pioneer X...

In the meantime, some of my friends have just or are about to try out whittling and asked are discussing the ideal task to do this... This mod is what I came up with... It is similar to the SAK which is part of The Practical Tool Set...   Come to think of it, As if the Camper is combined with the Clipper...

Love the pics jaya :cheers: I am also in the way of thinking about the inline phillips and scissors :cheers: :like:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 04:27:59 PM

Love the pics jaya :cheers: I am also in the way of thinking about the inline phillips and scissors :cheers: :like:
:cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 04:41:12 PM
I don't think pin stock will have to be bought as I am using a bigger SAK and making it small but what would be a good place to get pin stock here in the US :think: I know this question comes up quite often and I never can remember :facepalm: :D

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 05:14:37 PM
The perfect SAK is the one that has enough features to cover most of your needs, and yet light enough to actually carry always.

For me the perfect one seems to be an 84mm alox with no more than two layers. The alox bantam has perfect weight and bulk for me, but has very limited features. So I tend to pocket carry a bantam or voyageur, and then try to bring along companion tools appropriate to whatever setting i'm in.

• Office setting - A swisscard or my newfangled cybertraveller lite
  • Picnic - 111mm cheese SAK with either a saw or a GAK combo tool added(planned)
  • Forest stroll - alox harvester with main blade removed (planned)
  • Light duty tinkering - Mechanic jr with metal file added
  • light duty electrical - LM Style ES (planned)

Etc, etc... :dd:
-Tom
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 05:16:55 PM by T14 »
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 05:49:09 PM
For uneventful daily urban carry, my Sheepsfoot Duke mod has proved to be excellent, and as far mods go, they don't get much simpler. Take a DofE, reshape the round tipped blade to sheepsfoot - job done!

My Mega84 mod has proved excellent too. It's crammed full of features, including two main blades, inline awl, both corkscrew and backspring Phillips, and plenty of others, yet being 84mm is light enough and pocketable enough to not be omitted from carry for being cumbersome. It's a shame I never got chance for getting an 84mm with metal file at the right price.

I have wanted to do a Cybertool mod too, but have been to and fro on the design for quite a while. The latest version that's going through my mind is as follows..... (layer sequence not finalised)

Serrated main blade, pruner blade, (corkscrew)
Metal file (chisel)
Cybertool driver
Scissors (hook with nail file)
Opener layer (awl)

Finally, I have a yearning to take a pioneer harvester and put wooden scales on it. It's a nice tool apart from those horrible alox scales. Can't decide whether adding scissors from a Pioneer X would round it off nicely or spoil it.....

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 06:50:09 PM
Thanks for the input Tom and Trad :cheers: :like:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 05, 2016, 08:44:58 PM
I have been carrying first a Tourist but later a Spartan for quite a long time now. I prefer a very small, pocketable approach and compliment it with a SwissCard or Classic. I was considering a Classic 101 for an improvement on the theme but I a locking blade seems like it would just be trouble when I look at it now. Thanks to this forum I have a Rancher coming and that seems promising and I'll carry it for a while and evaluate it but what I would really like to do is a Rancher with Cork Screw (does anyone know if it can be done somehow? 91 or 93 mm is unimportant).

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 12:55:12 PM
Black Pioneer (with either black or red shield, don't mind) with scissors layer added and electrician's blade in place of the can opener.  My perfect day-to-day knife: two blades, scissors, poky thing, pry bar and a beer opener.

I've tried other modded knives - Explorer with Pliers, SwissChamp minus saw and scaler, Ranger + magnifier/phillips, etc. but for a larger SAK a Cybertool 34 is perfect already, and for a slim one either a Tinker or Electrician hits the spot.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 12:57:41 PM by hiraethus »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 02:29:19 PM
Black Pioneer (with either black or red shield, don't mind) with scissors layer added and electrician's blade in place of the can opener.  My perfect day-to-day knife: two blades, scissors, poky thing, pry bar and a beer opener.

I've tried other modded knives - Explorer with Pliers, SwissChamp minus saw and scaler, Ranger + magnifier/phillips, etc. but for a larger SAK a Cybertool 34 is perfect already, and for a slim one either a Tinker or Electrician hits the spot.

Some good thoughts in this :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 02:31:31 PM
I am one SAK closer to being able to do this mod and only one SAK away from having all the donors now :dd: If I can get the courage and the time to start taking them apart :whistle: I will document it as I go :cheers:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 02:32:33 PM
Can't wait :popcorn:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 02:33:08 PM

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 02:35:57 PM
Can't wait :popcorn:

:imws:

Get on with it man. :pok:
Didn't realize you were waiting for :popcorn:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 07:50:58 PM
I still have to source a reasonably priced in-line awl :ahhh After that it should be a go though :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 07:52:02 PM

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 08:37:00 PM
Looking forward to your progress bro  :tu:
-T
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: November 08, 2016, 09:11:31 PM
-T

Making the plunge and taking them apart is the part that has me nervous :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :D When I get going I will be fine though :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: November 08, 2016, 09:54:30 PM
-T

Making the plunge and taking them apart is the part that has me nervous :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :D When I get going I will be fine though :tu:

I hope :facepalm: :D

us Offline Aberdrew13

Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 03:23:15 PM
I think a good modded SAK would be a tool only SAK to pair with a dedicated folder.

Maybe I can attempt this soon.
If my text is in blue, read it with sarcasm.  That is how it's meant!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 07:28:21 PM
I think a good modded SAK would be a tool only SAK to pair with a dedicated folder.

Maybe I can attempt this soon.

Who knows I may try something along this lines as well :think:

:like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24