Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Perfection, then what?

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Perfection, then what?
on: November 22, 2016, 12:11:23 AM
Most of us join MTO to find the perfect MT.
Let's say you found it, it is perfect. What do you do next?
Continue to buy other MTs? Even you know they are inferior comparing to "The One".

The same question can be ask about knives or other EDC gadgets.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Perfection, then what?
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 12:25:58 AM
Continue to buy other MTs? Even you know they are inferior comparing to "The One".

The same question can be ask about knives or other EDC gadgets.

I found the perfect one for me ( well for a while anyways ;) ) That was one of the main reasons I became less active on here in the last several years until earlier in this year :tu: I was very satisfied and happy with the Rebar and my fav SAK was the Executive :cheers: I carried this for a long while (few years) unchanged :tu: I thought about this when I came back though as there are so many nice MTs and I already had several :like: I still like my Rebar above most all MTs (especially since I modded it and made it even better :dd: ) but I carry other MTs now and find that I enjoy carrying a variety of different ones even if they are different I try and celebrate those differences and love carrying most of them just as well :cheers: :D

us Offline irona

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 12:32:34 AM
I believe it would be finding the perfect MT for specific tasks after that, like for work or for the woods or for ...
;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 12:42:25 AM
I came for information on the Wave tho I was a lurker and had not joined.  I bought the Wave after reading and watching several videos.  I joined up afterwards because I was intrigued with the camaraderie here. 

Those who have joined looking for the perfect tool can still benefit from the modders.  There seems to always be a tweak or two needed to truly make any MT perfect.  What next after modding?  Start modding SAKs and stay because of the immense information contained about all things. 

I think most peoples "whats next" is the friendships developed here. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 12:49:53 AM

I think most peoples "whats next" is the friendships developed here.
:hatsoff:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 12:56:54 AM
The perfect multitool?

It doesn't exist from what I have seen, although this one does come close:

Autonomous, self carrying and well equipped with a series of power tools are all excellent features to have.  Unfortunately it is a bit large, higher maintenance than most multitools and what good is it's autonomy and scan functions if it has no way to communicate them back?  Until they come up with a version that can (at least) send text messages I am out.

Until I can get an astromech and start modding it, I'm doubtful that I'll find the perfect one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 01:19:58 AM
I've not found "the one", but I have found "the few", of which it depends on the circumstances as to which is best - for me personally.

The quest wasn't just about finding the best tools, but also about understanding myself. Why do some things work and others don't? Why do things work for me but not for others (and vice versa)?

I look at knives and tools now, and without even handling them, I can see where they might shine or fail for me. At the same time, I can see aspects that might make it more suitable for others, or where there might be longevity issues with the design. I do sometimes get the yearning for a new thing, but when I look at what's available, I'm not seeing anything that beats what I already have, one way of another.

Have I reached enlightenment? Or is it just contentment? Who knows :shrug: would I still be spending money on new stuff if I didn't have a cash shortage? Probably not, because no matter how good the new stuff is, it would be compared with "the few" that have taken five years or so of exploration to discover and prove.

Times change though. I know I wouldn't be as critical of the Pulse now than when I first got it. I also know that it still wouldn't win carry over other tools. I was a huge fan of the MP700, but having spent so long with the hollow sprung pliers which wear out too quickly and the fragile cutters which disintegrate I you have a mishap, I wouldn't buy another tool like that, even though I still like using the tool.

In short, I feel reasonably settled in my tool choices ....... for now ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 01:29:52 AM
Following on from Def and Al I would like to ask a question.

Can you define perfection for every member of this forum? I know I can't

I think Al got it, the best tool you have at the time for the task you have.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 01:38:23 AM
I couldn't agree more.  The perfect tool is the one you have when you need it, that's for sure.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 02:36:52 AM
I couldn't agree more.  The perfect tool is the one you have when you need it, that's for sure.  :D

Def

Truer words have never been said, it's our moto buddy!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 02:57:45 AM

Def

Truer words have never been said, it's our moto buddy!

Dave beat me to it :D

It is true though :tu: that is why I have been carrying so many different ones lately :cheers: Most of the MTs I have have been useful to me at some point or another and I just like using the different ones :like:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 09:20:03 AM
The same question can be ask about knives or other EDC gadgets

Okay.....we're not defining perfect, we're what-iffing............

If I had the perfect:
-Multitool
-Large knife
-Small knife
-Folding knife
-Flashlight
-Firearm

..........I would be very happy and satisfied, while stressing about how to get rid of all the other unused stuff.

I'm fascinated by the idea of being able to carry everything you need to live with you, and in the same breath all those items have to be infinitely renewable and everlasting. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 01:20:40 PM
That is exactly the problem with having one perfect anything- what if it gets lost, stolen or broken?

As many of us know, there are variances between two identical tools in the same line- yours may be worn in so even replacing it with another tool of the same type may be disappointing.  It may not move the same as the original, it might lock up slightly differently, there may have been a update that you don't care for....

For example, Megan was really thrilled with her FitBit, but then it died and was replaced with exactly the same model under warranty.  The replacement one didn't have the same sensitivity and so she found she wasn't getting the same fitness measurements for the same activities as before, and updated software means it doesn't read the same as before.  She seems to have lost interest in it, and I don't think she has worn it in a couple of months.

Def

us Online powernoodle

Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 02:47:04 PM

I rotate between MTs, SAKs, knives, guns, lights and Maxpedition bags.  I have accumulated so much over the last 30+ years that much of my hoard goes unnoticed for long periods of time.  Then when I play with it again, its like buying it all over.  This morning, I went down to sub-level 5 of the Powernoodle Bunker, and played with a few guns that I had not touched in years:  Sig P220, a couple of CZ 75B's, two Browning Hi-Powers, an M&P 9, Sig P239 and so forth.  It was like being back in the gun shop when I first bought them.  Same holds true with MTs.  Its been many months since I have touched a SOG Powerlock, for example.  So someday when I pick one up and EDC it, it will almost be brand new to me again.

I'm not suggesting that everyone engage in excessive consumerism.  In fact, I somewhat envy the person with few toys, because those toys are more meaningful to him.  But when I reach MPES  (Maximum Powernoodle Emotional Satiation) with MTs, I have other toys to distract me until the love for MTs returns.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 03:51:15 PM

In short, I only continue to buy what I love to collect.

I've spent the last five years buying many different types of multi-tools. I got my first Spirit fairly early, and I consider it "perfect" but I continued to buy things to "prove" it to myself. Eventually I came to enjoy just collecting SAKs, not just as a way to find the "best" one. But like PN said, I also switched back and forth between other hobbies. As the financial situation has gotten tighter, I am revisiting past purchases and comparing them against my favorites. Starting with knives, lights, and watches — as these are the things I don't really collect — comparing each against the "best" in category, and selling those that don't measure up. So after a few years of having the "perfect" knife, light, watch for me, it's time to trim down and slow spending, because it's unlikely that anything new will surpass them. (I still look some, there's a PM2 and a ZT0450 on my radar, but it's on a much smaller scale now because "better" is also more expensive.) Same thing goes for multi-tools. Hard to drop money on a new multi-tool when I already have several which I'm quite sure are better. It's just where I am financially and mentally, in wanting to declutter. I focus more on using and sharing with others. That all said, I still collect SAKs, because that's my strongest passion.

I like these philosophical conversations. I've taken a little inspiration from the "KonMarie method" of decluttering: my SAKs make me happy, so I keep them. Other stuff, not as much, so they get to move on to help others.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 04:33:24 PM
I have already found the "perfect" multitool, flashlight and knife. However, these are perfect in that they are the best that I can find for my current uses. There are always new ones being made so I keep checking back occasionally to see what is new because there could be something that I may find that was missing, or a feature I didn't realize I needed, in the newer tool.

So even though I am content with my current carry, I am always on the lookout for something better since perfection is really never attainable.
The right tool is the one you have on you

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 04:51:01 PM
Whats interesting is a MT or light or knife may not have "worked" early in the testing phase and abandoned.  Later to find out when re testing it works.  Coming full circle, I've experienced this with certain items. 

Combining SAK, knives and MT is a way to reach a certain perfection.  Once that combo is settled on I also see refinements which means perfection has not been obtained. 

The quest for me is what keeps me entertained. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 05:05:07 PM
I could quote all the folks above for the same line of thinking as mine, PowerNoodle's being the one I like the most.
I enjoy rotating, trying out and getting to all corners of the hobby, variety is the spice of life

I know I won't beat the Spirit, or get a better AAA Flash than I actually have in at least a few years, but it's fun to try out competitors, new models, mechanisms, ideas, concepts, etc.

It keeps me "anesthesized" from the dark, cruel world around me and gives me some nice experiences, times and memories (especially when the tools or gadgets save the day!) as well as a sensation of preparedness and peace of mind
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 05:29:05 PM
Whats interesting is a MT or light or knife may not have "worked" early in the testing phase and abandoned.  Later to find out when re testing it works.  Coming full circle, I've experienced this with certain items. 

Combining SAK, knives and MT is a way to reach a certain perfection.  Once that combo is settled on I also see refinements which means perfection has not been obtained. 

The quest for me is what keeps me entertained.

Totally agree. The Sideclip was initially a fail for me, until I realised it's such a perfect companion tool for a SAK. The Multipliers weren't an instant hit with me either, but once I'd tried the non-pinchy flavour and properly given it chance, I was very impressed.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 11:25:58 PM
Interesting question. My collection of knives is large enough for the perfect one to be in there already. But have I found it? I think not. Perceptions of what is the perfect knife change over time and I don't think I'll ever stop buying. Which reminds me I'll have to start selling or I'll run out of storage room.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 08:07:26 AM
Narrowing the search is where I am.  I have what for now is my go to set of MTs for given scenarios.  I also have what knife I like to carry tho its not what I'd call "prefect".  As far as SAKs are concerned, I like my Swisschamp tho I've been carrying my Champion everyday for work.  When I come home I change out to what I fancy at that moment.  Perfect SAK, I haven't got that figured out either apparently.   

I have been really wanting to try a few new lights out.  I have a few lights that I enjoy carrying however I would not call any perfect.  Miscellaneous items come and go.  I'll carry an item then either forget to add it in my load out and poof its forgotten.  Other times it just didn't work out so it was abandoned. 

I enjoy the process of evaluation.  I have a set idea of what minimum tools I like to have and try to fill those needs.       
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 01:10:16 PM
I have tested many knives and MTs, and figured out I am happy pretty much where I started (but not quite). TS Eliot would be amused.

I am a happy collector, so I simply continue to hunt, to an interesting quarry has become harder to find, the hunt is still enjoyable. (Also, it is fun to switch things around for the sake of variety for a while.)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 23, 2016, 03:25:14 PM
I'd call this thread perfect...
Some really good replies that opened up my mind a bit more.

The past few years I was completely obsessed with my watch collection.
I had a Sportsman as SAK and a Swisstool X laying around.

SAK's and multitools had my interest (was intrigued by the Vic folders as a 14 year old) but I focused on the watches.

Bought a Spartan with Austria scales as a souvenir some 4 years ago, and that was it.

Untill last summer, when I bought a new watch and immediatly felt like it was the final piece.
So I reorganised the watch boxes, and that was it. Done!

I still look out for a bargain here and there, but since then my multitool interest broke through and is my top priority in spotting right now.

I still enjoy my watch collection and rotate through it quite alot.
But it was time for something else now.

Something that actualy interested me long before watches...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 04:18:47 PM
I have tested many knives and MTs, and figured out I am happy pretty much where I started (but not quite). TS Eliot would be amused.

I am a happy collector, so I simply continue to hunt, to an interesting quarry has become harder to find, the hunt is still enjoyable. (Also, it is fun to switch things around for the sake of variety for a while.)

FULL CIRCLE. 

I find this very interesting. 

Do you think perhaps its familiarity?  We become familiar with an items capability rather than what its actually capable of,  we are capable with it as a result of our familiarity? 

Hmm time to start a new thread on this exact topic. 
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #24 on: November 23, 2016, 04:47:59 PM
For me, there is no perfect multitool.  All of them are compromised in some way or other.  However, all that I own will do most of what I want fairly well, and I'm prepared to put up with that shortfall in performance for the convenience.

And even if you do find your perfect tool it won't be perfect forever, so if your needs or circumstances change, get something different.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: November 23, 2016, 05:52:51 PM
Perfection, then what?
Perfection, then beer, that's what!  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: November 23, 2016, 05:55:30 PM
It never ends.  Perfect meal followed by dessert.  Perfect day followed by a romp in the sack  :rofl: ( ok now I'm being silly ). 

Perfection is not the end of anything IMO. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 06:01:24 PM
It never ends.  Perfect meal followed by dessert.  Perfect day followed by a romp in the sack  :rofl: ( ok now I'm being silly ). 

Perfection is not the end of anything IMO.

Yes this is true as things are ever evolving :cheers: New tools come out and with there pretty shinyness alure us and we think it may be the "next" perfect tool :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #28 on: November 23, 2016, 11:07:25 PM
Still not sure what my perfect one is.  :-\
I have a long way to go, and I think that it involves mini prybars, multipliers, 74mm SAK's and can openers oh my.  :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28