Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ideas for small tool box

zrxoa1 · 12 · 1882

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Ideas for small tool box
on: November 05, 2016, 11:56:07 PM
OK, we are having a new house built.  Once moved in, all my tools, toolboxes, etc., will be in the small basement garage. This is also where I'll store my riding mower and all other yard crap..

Basically, my main car garage will have the Highlander, my truck and my motorcycle...maybe my air compressor...but that's it. I want a clean bare garage. All my life my garages have always been so full of crap you could barely get your toe in!!!  No more!!!

So, for my everyday tool needs around the house, I plan to have a small case with my ST300 with bit driver and ¼" bits...maybe small set of sockets...nothing major.  Just enough to do normal household tasks without having to run down to my shop in the basement.

Any ideas of a case for this?  Are any of you doing something similar?

Let's see some ideas!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Ideas for small tool box
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 12:34:50 PM
My "Upstairs" toolbox looks something like

:D

However, I use a briefcase type toolbox for the other random stuff -

I find the shallowness good for keeping it tidy, stops me from "crowding" everything, and it looks neat so you can tuck it in the cupboard or a drawer and it doesn't look "industrial"

Somethig like...

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 01:35:55 AM
A small gerstner utility chest can hide your tools and has a very high WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). This thing does not need to be hidden away, and this translates to easily accessible tools at home.
https://www.bestmadeco.com/products/gerstner-utility-chest?taxon_id=974
-Tom
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 05:04:03 AM
A small gerstner utility chest can hide your tools and has a very high WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). This thing does not need to be hidden away, and this translates to easily accessible tools at home.
-Tom
This was more or less my thought as well, except I went with the cheap, Harbor Freight knockoff version.  My wife actually bought it for me because she liked how it looked.

Other than that, I have a smallish Skinth sheath with a Rebar, bit holder, LM bits, and flashlight that gets carried around the house when I need to work on something.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 05:06:45 AM by eddie1115 »

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 05:08:21 AM
-Tom

$600!!!!!!???????

My wife would kill me if I bought that... LOL

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 06:35:51 AM
Yeah $600, that's a little too much, I mean even that wood harbor freight one for $80 is still out of my league, but still want it. I had a lot of tools but had to get rid of most, I have a small storage space where I can keep what I didn't have to get rid of, yet I got tired of having to walk up and down every time I needed something so after I got my little hobby workstation set up I grabbed a 5gal bucket and a apron thingy that goes around and in it, so I could sort out my most used tools, and dump a few odds and ends in! Easy carry, easy storage, I used to even have a lid that also turned it into a seat. But I've always like that setup can't go wrong for like $10-$20!
JR
If you need pics let me know I'll take one..
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 09:43:05 AM
50 Cal ammo cases. Cannot break them and they stack up quite well. I use some on the motorbike for small daily runs.

Cheap as chips.

Pete
IMGP3053.JPG
* IMGP3053.JPG (Filesize: 139.39 KB)
IMGP3054.JPG
* IMGP3054.JPG (Filesize: 152.12 KB)
IMGP3055.JPG
* IMGP3055.JPG (Filesize: 174.55 KB)

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 10:41:06 AM
Love those, too!

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 02:02:29 AM
Not sure of your idea of small.  How about a Maxpedition EDC organizer?  There are 6 or 7 different sizes.
DSCN3685.jpg
* DSCN3685.jpg (Filesize: 362.41 KB)
- Steve

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 04:19:00 AM
I like ammo cans as well, but I recently met the 22" Ridgid Pro boxes. Home Depot has them, they come in a couple of sizes and lock together.

Decent overview of them here http://toolguyd.com/ridgid-pro-tool-boxes/
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 05:21:47 PM
If you need to organize ammo cans for smaller tools and parts, such as bits and sockets there are organizers made to do that:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ammo-Bullet-Can-Organizer-Trays-Insert-Gun-Rifle-Box-50-Cal-Strong-USA-Made-/252344556433?hash=item3ac0e85b91:g:G2EAAOSwtUtXA5GU

I have to used them with a double tall ammo box loaded with a tool roll in the bottom, the organizers in the middle, and PPE. ( safety glasses & gloves) on top.  There was plenty of room on the top for extra tools.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 05:26:25 PM
Very nice!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31