Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpening Methods

ph Offline carboncopy101

Re: Sharpening Methods
Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 04:54:28 AM
Sandpaper attached with binderclips in a breadboard. Pulling the spine instead of pushing. I then strop it with my tool belt if im in the province or my shoes. Never really saw the allure of sharpening system since i dont sharpen everyday.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #31 on: November 04, 2017, 12:39:29 PM
Just a bit of old timers experience.........!.!for those who don't have, can't afford, can't find, or otherwise find yourself strop afflicted...........a piece of common  fir 2x4 works just as well. Just hold the angle & drag the blade backwards over the surface. The corner of the wood will put a fantastic polish on the blade edge.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 01:12:52 PM by Butch »
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: November 04, 2017, 01:54:03 PM
...a piece of common  fir 2x4 works just as well. Just hold the angle & drag the blade backwards over the surface. The corner of the wood will put a fantastic polish on the blade edge.

:like:

I've also used an old belt (one that must have shrunk in the rain or something), a thin piece of balsa wood with compound, newspaper, and cardboard for a strop. I think the key thing is to have a hard surface under these things. I don't think the old-fashioned barber's slack strop works quite as well--they tend to roll the edge slightly.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 04:56:22 PM
Like others have said here, i also use the Lansky rod system - i use that for my planes too and for my chisel knives. My only criticism is the little screw clamp thingys at the back of the stones break eventually and they're quite expensive to buy here in the uk - at the moment i'm just down to medium and fine stones. I normally finish off with a little ceramic crux sharpener to make them propper little hair poppers!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #34 on: November 04, 2017, 10:19:02 PM
Just a bit of old timers experience.........!.!for those who don't have, can't afford, can't find, or otherwise find yourself strop afflicted...........a piece of common  fir 2x4 works just as well. Just hold the angle & drag the blade backwards over the surface. The corner of the wood will put a fantastic polish on the blade edge.

I'll have to try that!  :cheers: :salute:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 02:59:29 PM
Bah, I used to hate sharpening. It really is a skill you have to learn.
And i personally think it's a skill you have to learn if you use knives a lot.
A sharp knife is safer as it takes less effort to cut something.
(But it also takes less effort to cut yourself if you are not careful, but that's another story  :facepalm:)

The DC4 stone from Fallknives is already mentioned. This is my go-to travel sharpener. The DC3 is a bit more compact, I prefer the DC4.
Especially hand sharpening is a skill that takes a bit of practice.
However, with a bit of practice you can return a working edge to a blade. It takes a lot of practice to master sharpening though.

I am by no means an expert. I went from v-carbide sharpeners to a sharpening stone after I destroyed a kitchen knife. I can also remember using one of those rolling sharpeners on my Handyman. It left a very distinct circle pattern on the blade. The blade remained dull however.  >:(

But enough small talk.
I strongly recommend to learn hand sharpening. This let's you sharpen any blade, anywhere. It's a skill for life.

However, if you want amazing results with minimal effort, try a sharpening system. Lansky has been mentioned, but I can't tell you much about that. I personally use a Ruixin Pro III sharpening system.
It's a Chinese version of the (famous?) Edge Pro.

It fixes the sharpening stone at an angle making the cut consistent over the entire edge. Given that you keep the blade level on the table. It has an angle marking to pre-set your angle. But you can also copy the angle on the blade by passing it alongside a marker. Adjust the angle of the Ruixin/Edge Pro in a way that it takes off all the marking on one go and you have the angle set exactly like the angle on the blade.
The Ruixin has a little learning curve, but it's mostly getting used to the motion.

If you have the money, I'd suggest to get an Edge Pro. However, €15,- for the Ruixin is hard to beat and since I'm poor... :cry:

In addition to the Ruixin and the Fallkniven DC stones consider the Victorinox Dual Sharpener. Like the one you already have it has a ceramic v-sharpener (set at 30' if I'm correct). In addition it has a ceramic sharpening rod which is also great for sharpening serrated blades. And with the size of a pen, you can take it anywhere.

I've been thinking about making a video about sharpening knives for a while. Perhaps I should.
It's a bit labor intensive, but when I have a video I'll post it here.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 04:01:43 PM
Since this thread started I've discovered the Worksharp. If you have problems getting the angle correct and even then the $25 Worksharp may be for you. It even makes serrated blades razor sharp. For the Money I think it's best portable sharpener on the market.

20171108_065220.jpg
* 20171108_065220.jpg (Filesize: 157.16 KB)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 04:02:51 PM by gene stoner »
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 04:20:09 PM
Since this thread started I've discovered the Worksharp. If you have problems getting the angle correct and even then the $25 Worksharp may be for you. It even makes serrated blades razor sharp. For the Money I think it's best portable sharpener on the market.

Hmm. I had to look this one up.
This is their product page.

I saw it in a store a couple of weeks ago. Felt a bit gimmicky at a glance and I didn't pay much attention to it.
Plus, how many sharpeners do I need?

But after reading up on it and watching the demo video on their site I'm tempted to buy one. It sharpens basically everything. If you don't use the angle guides you can use it for any angle you want. Plus is seems very suitable for sharpening large and small serrations.
I'll see if I can spare €36,-. Unfortunately it's a bit more expensive here in Holland. :-[
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

england Offline Kev D

Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 09:55:10 PM
I use the Edge Pro Apex

The spyderco sharpmaker is good to. I use it for touch ups and when I go camping, etc

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:58:03 PM by Kevin Davey »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 10:02:42 PM

Hmm. I had to look this one up.
This is their product page.

I saw it in a store a couple of weeks ago. Felt a bit gimmicky at a glance and I didn't pay much attention to it.
Plus, how many sharpeners do I need?

But after reading up on it and watching the demo video on their site I'm tempted to buy one. It sharpens basically everything. If you don't use the angle guides you can use it for any angle you want. Plus is seems very suitable for sharpening large and small serrations.
I'll see if I can spare €36,-. Unfortunately it's a bit more expensive here in Holland. :-[

I have the Worksharp and it's very useful for trips, outdoors and hiking.
But I am most partial to the Spyderco Sharpmaker for 90% of my sharpening, especially recurves and serrated edges.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 10:03:31 PM
I use the Edge Pro Apex

That looks alright Kev - i like the stop on the end of the rod.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #41 on: November 09, 2017, 12:31:23 AM
I have a DMT DiamondVee that is made very much like the spyderco. It has a very fine diamond surface & puts an edge on in a hurry. I also have the  Lansky diamond rod system but mostly I use a fine diamond steel.
I have just about abandoned anything but fine diamond for sharpening.
 :climber:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: November 09, 2017, 12:26:53 PM
I have used an EZE-LAP Model "M" diamond rod sharpener for years.

It will put a very nice edge on a knife, and it is small enough to carry in your pocket.

I also have a pocket size EZE-LAP tapered diamond rod sharpener for sharpening serrated blades.

Both sharpeners are 600 grit.

I have a Victorinox pocket steel for maintaining the edges on my knives once they have been sharpened.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%