Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Backup/emergency cell phone

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Backup/emergency cell phone
on: November 09, 2016, 03:10:18 PM
I think I'd like to add a backup/emergency cell phone to my car bag.

I have an old Pantech Breeze flip phone, but the battery is dead. It'd cost about $15 for a 2-pack of batteries for it. That'd give a battery in the phone and a spare. A slight downside is the proprietary charge connector, requiring that I bring charge cords specifically for it.

Alternately, I could maybe get a SpareOne Plus, an emergency phone that runs on a single AA. Cost should be about $35.

I'm also open to other suggestions, particularly an inexpensive model of phone with readily available battery type that uses Micro USB charge port.

As this is specifically for emergency calls, ALL cell phones are supposed to be able to dial 911 without a service plan, so plans don't really matter much. Also, I already have emergency power bank for my existing phone. This would be in the event my main phone was damaged or lost.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Oh, and ... Hi! I still exist! :D Sorry I haven't been very active here lately.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Backup/emergency cell phone
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 04:45:49 PM
Have you thought about a hand held HAM radio?  Could possibly serve more proposes in a emergency in addition to making distress calls.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 05:51:17 PM
HAM radio is WAY down the list. Right now, I'm just looking for an emergency cell phone solution.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 06:08:48 PM
Welcome back! :cheers:

I have been thinking of getting an emergency cellphone myself. Preferably a simple shock and waterproof one with long battery life.
I have been looking at CAT B30, but Im not sure how good they really are.
Ideally my old Nokia 5110 would have been great. 2week battery, and would probably be a lot better at finding a signal than todays phones, if it had worked on the same bands as todays phones.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 06:53:17 PM
As you've said a simple cell can make emergency calls.  I'd imagine many people have several laying around I know I did.  The connectors are easily obtained so connecting to a battery source is no problem.  I have an old Galaxy for this very purpose however what happens when the network is down?

HAM is WAY down the line for you understood but the price to features is high on many models.  I'm currently looking myself is why I mentioned it. 

A couple years back we had a massive power outage.  My network was out (ATT).  My ability to make and receive cell phone calls was gone. 

A land line is the best option even endorsed by cell companies like Verizon ( check their site ).

If we are talking a phone that you can use outside the home then the simplest way is with a back up cell. 

Good to see you around Lynn  :salute: 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 01:17:35 AM
Welcome back :cheers:

Do you have a non emergency cell phone or is this the only cell? Is it a backup? Just curious :cheers:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 05:32:12 PM
Thanks all for the warm reception.

This is strictly a backup. I have an iPhone. I have a backup power supply for the iPhone. What I don't have is a system for if that phone itself gets busted.

Anyone know how long a Lithium Ion cell holds its charge in varying weather conditions? As in, if I stick one in the back of my car to power my old flip phone, can it handle the hot/cold of being in a car?

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 02:17:08 AM
I personally would go with a dirt cheap flip phone with a good battery and leave it off unless an emergency occurs. Modern day batteries can survive a long time off charger when not being powered on and like you said any phone by law has the ability to use 911 even if there is no plan or money on the device. I would go with and old simple Samsung or LG flip. Want to go more rugged and you could snag an old used Casio GzOne phone.  I love what flip phones do but part of me misses the old flip phone days, things were so much simpler. At work (verizon) we still have a very large clientele that want flip phones for their everyday phone due to longevity of their batteries and thier ease of use.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 11:30:21 AM
I've thinking about this as well, and I'll probably go with a refurbished Nokia 3310, as it has a great battery life and is pretty much indestructible (with added feature of being able to be used as a weapon :rofl: )

Oh and welcome back, Lynn :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 12:45:44 AM
I bought a pair of the AT&T SpareOne phones early this year for $10 each.  I opted to add a $25 plan to it that lasts a year.  That way I could call something other than 911.

It's a cheap phone, and I like the 2 AA battery power.  Horrible user interface, but what can you expect for the price?

Then AT&T contacted me they aren't supporting it after October, and they offered a free flip phone to replace it.
- Steve

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 02:01:29 PM
I have one of these:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=long+cz&iax=images&ia=images

Though batteries running out while the phone is turned off could be a big problem.
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

Offline LOWW

Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 10:33:35 PM
Get a Nokia the (was/) are the best on the Market.  :tu:
I had Nokia over Years and the was good. Now the Android Rubbish sucks a lot.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 04:26:34 PM
I actually use a "Cherry Mobile U6" as my daily work phone. Takes a knock, likely some splashes, is loud enough to hear through machine noise, has a great flashlight and a USB charging port for other devices if needed.

Most importantly I only charge once per month or so. If I remember correctly it cost about USD 40-50 or so.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Offline LOWW

Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 08:50:58 PM
Just in GSM Mode?  :D
Without LTE here its gets harder to get coverage. The Subway are upgraded to LTE so the new BTS are just LTE.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 11:44:40 PM
Just in GSM Mode?  :D
Without LTE here its gets harder to get coverage. The Subway are upgraded to LTE so the new BTS are just LTE.

Works fine everywhere I've been. And for once I'm smarter than the phone. (It is quite stupid based on well established technology).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline redmond

Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 02:05:38 AM
HAM radio is WAY down the list. Right now, I'm just looking for an emergency cell phone solution.
I agree Lynn. Ham radio is fun and interesting and can reach around the world if the propagation pixies are feeling generous. A 5W VHF/UHF handi-talkie can reach 10-20 miles and my HF rig has reached Antarctica with 100W. However, unless you are frequently in the mountains or other seriously cellphone challenged area, a spare emergency cellphone that uses a different carrier than your usual is probably a better choice for the average person.

Now if you love electronics, etc., a ham license is fairly easy to get. Morse code is no longer a requirement.

73 - N7AHE   :D
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD