Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Coleman 425

jzmtl · 26 · 1572

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Coleman 425
on: November 01, 2016, 08:08:17 PM
Picked this one up last weekend, I have a few backpacking stoves but wanted one that will work for more than one or two person. I could get a propane stove like everybody else, but that's just too, plebeian. :D

Played with it for a bit, I'm quite impressed by how its able to self prime with no extra procedure needed, but I suppose that's the advantage of size and having the separate manifold for mixing fuel/air. Wish it had a bigger generator and jet though, as it is, the valve takes two turn to max but makes no more difference after one turn, so the jet nozzle is restricting output. And when the 2nd burner is lit, the main burner dies down a lot so again total output is restricted by generator/jet.

I also tried to burn kerosene with it but that ended up in complete failure. I wrapped copper wire around the generator to increase the head absorption and used alcohol to preheat it, but I've come to find out the generator isn't where the problem is. Kerosene is much harder to vaporize and since it's pretty cool outside (5C/41F), it had plenty of time to condense back to liquid in the big cold manifold. I see people on youtube using kerosene and had to preheat with a blowtorch, but that just defeat the purpose of the stove.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Coleman 425
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 12:51:20 PM
Great looking stove!  I guess I'm plebian because I have the propane version!  :P

My father had an older version of that one for many, many years (I think my brother has it now, otherwise I'd probably have it!) and I remember him pumping it like crazy to build up the pressure necessary to get it started!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 06:31:06 PM
Great looking stove!  I guess I'm plebian because I have the propane version!  :P

Turn a knob and it works, where's the fun in that.  :P

Got it brand new on Kijiji, hopefully I won't have to do what the guy did, selling it in a few years unused.  :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 06:37:02 PM

Got it brand new on Kijiji, hopefully I won't have to do what the guy did, selling it in a few years unused.  :D

:D

I've only ever had/used one petrol stove, and it was such a monumental PITA I only used it twice. Gas, meths or wood for me, with Esbit as emergency back up only.

It does look like an impressive bit of kit though Jie, and I hope you get some good use from it  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 09:12:28 PM

I hope you won't have to sell it either... but if you do, let me know!   >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 09:51:01 PM

I've only ever had/used one petrol stove, and it was such a monumental PITA I only used it twice. Gas, meths or wood for me, with Esbit as emergency back up only.

It does look like an impressive bit of kit though Jie, and I hope you get some good use from it  :tu:

Thanks, it's actually surprisingly easy to light, only takes a minute to pump and prime before full power. The only time it failed to light was when I tried kerosene.

Def

Only if you promise to carry it on a week long canoe trip.  :D

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 02:50:49 AM
Main burner on full blast

The 2nd burner really knock the wind out of it though.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 12:29:48 PM

Thanks, it's actually surprisingly easy to light, only takes a minute to pump and prime before full power. The only time it failed to light was when I tried kerosene.

Def

Only if you promise to carry it on a week long canoe trip.  :D

Would a kayak trip do instead?  :D

That is a serious fireball on the main burner.  I can't think of too many things I would want to cook in such an inferno, unless you are thinking or roasting marshmallows or hot dogs over it! 

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 02:04:55 PM
Yeah it's not uncommon to see old stoves with case paint around the main burner burned off. Just have to keep in mind don't blindly turn it up all the way when only one burner is lit.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:06:27 PM by jzmtl »

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 03:17:41 PM
For your sanity and the reliability of the stove, only use Coleman fuel or an equivalent. White Gas, Naphtha, Shellite, Camp Stove fuel, what ever it is called in the country you are in. Not Kerosene, Diesel, alcohol, etc. Unleaded automobile gasoline will work, but even that is not recommended as it burns dirty and the additives in the fuel will clog the generator and eventually render the stove inoperative.

I have a couple true multi-fuel stoves and have tried running unleaded automotive gasoline a few times in the past. Always to the detriment of the stove and its performance. Lots of cleaning was required to restore the stoves. Now, it is camp stove fuel only for my stoves!
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 03:33:00 PM
I have several old Coleman stoves.  I also only use Coleman fuel or its equivalent.  The primary burner burns way hotter alone vs lighting both burners.  I forget how the btu's are distributed between the two.  I use the primary for frying while the second for simmering.  Cold weather starts can be a bit hard but man when she gets going what a wonderful thing.  I use cast iron pans on mine tho I do have some MSR cookware.  I don't feel the need to constantly pump the fuel tank on my units. 

Anyway, great stove that should give you plenty of years outdoor cooking.   
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 05:34:04 PM
Yeah this stove will stick with coleman fuel, my other multi fuel stoves will handles kerosene without problem.

Today's gasoline is absolutely not suitable for stoves anymore. Ignore all the additives that was never meant to be vaporized and burned in a stove, the ethanol in it will quickly destroy any plastic and rubber seals in your stove. Almost killed an expensive Brunton with unleaded gas.

I made a small pan that will fit under the generator tube so I can preheat it in really cold weather, but since I don't have plans for subfreezing camping I don't think I'll ever need it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 11:31:56 PM
Subfreezing camping?

Count me out.  I think I want to get a job as a bear so I can hibernate all winter.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 11:51:26 PM
I've fired mine up in 32F.  It took some prompting but I got it going.  A little pan with some fuel under the generator is a great idea  :tu:   
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 04:27:44 PM
I've never really had an issue firing up Coleman fueled stoves in any weather.  In fact, in the cold weather they tend to work better as it is easier to warm them up enough to get the gas going. 

At least the Svea Optima 123 stove seems to light easier in the cold.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 07:03:46 PM
I've never really had an issue firing up Coleman fueled stoves in any weather.  In fact, in the cold weather they tend to work better as it is easier to warm them up enough to get the gas going. 

Def

I always like the look of those self-contained single burner stoves. Couldn't justify getting one though since I already have two remote fuel bottle stoves. Plus a new 123 is expensive!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: November 05, 2016, 12:13:31 AM

Def

I always like the look of those self-contained single burner stoves. Couldn't justify getting one though since I already have two remote fuel bottle stoves. Plus a new 123 is expensive!

That's not a very fun line of thinking.... I have the 123 and a more modern version, the Coleman Easi- Lite, the Bio Lite wood burning stove. the Mini Trangia (technically that one is Megan's), a WhisperLite Internationale and a two burner propane Coleman stove.

If you can't cook a ten course meal all at once in the woods, you just aren't doing it right. :D

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 06:24:25 AM

Def

That's not a very fun line of thinking.... I have the 123 and a more modern version, the Coleman Easi- Lite, the Bio Lite wood burning stove. the Mini Trangia (technically that one is Megan's), a WhisperLite Internationale and a two burner propane Coleman stove.

If you can't cook a ten course meal all at once in the woods, you just aren't doing it right. :D

Def

Well I got my eyes on a Coleman 533 at Lebaron, when they have 50% off I'll go see if it's still there.  :D

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Coleman 425
Reply #18 on: November 05, 2016, 02:09:55 PM
Le Baron??? That place still exists? It is where I bought my SVEA 123 more than 30 years ago! And a boat load of other gear. Loved going in there...

edit: I see that the original location is no longer, and that they are going out of business. Oh well, I still have my fond memories of the place.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 02:16:10 PM by 16VGTIDave »
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 06:27:17 PM
The one here went out of business a couple of months ago.  Not so coincidentally, the week after Cabelas opened up.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 07:23:26 PM
Still it's nice to have competition, even if they aren't competitive. Walmart and Amazon has been hiking their price ever since Target folded.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 07:48:02 PM
Cracking looking stove mate. :tu:  Not sure how far I'd want to carry it mind you.  :o
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 08:45:06 PM
Still it's nice to have competition, even if they aren't competitive. Walmart and Amazon has been hiking their price ever since Target folded.

Well, we still have Sail, Bushtuka, Trailhead Paddle Shack, Canadian Tire and MEC to compete with Cabelas here.....

Def

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 02:14:39 PM
That's just old-school-cool enough to make me want it no matter how efficient it is!  :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 04:00:27 PM
I believe the stoves are pretty efficient.  I read on the Coleman site that 2.5 pints of fuel the stove will last 2 hour with both burners on high and a gallon of fuel will last as long as 4 cylinders or propane.  I'd say these stoves are great car camping and certainly emergency use stoves.  They also are great for the backyard cookouts. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #25 on: November 07, 2016, 08:08:38 PM
Yep they are pretty decent. From my limited experience volume for volume you use the same amount of white gas/kerosene as liquid propane/butane, but white gas can be easily refilled and  transferred between containers, although you do use some extra fuel for preheating.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%